Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward - Worth It?

tag
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Citi Forward - Worth It?

Hello and thanks for visiting everyone!

Its that's time of year again where I try and pull the trigger after gardening, I'm deciding on a Citi card.

I used to have the Citi Forward (Student) Card but had it closed by Citi due to "too many INQs". Now I would like to re-apply but I'm not sure which card would best fit my needs?

I know Citi Forward is great for eating out and for entertainment purposes which I really don't do much of at all, so I was debating between the Citi Forward card or a different card? I can't seem to figure out which but I would use it mostly for 'every day' purchases, or large purchases if given a large CL.

Does anyone know what card might be best? Even if it is the Citi Forward?

My credit history:

I.  AAoA: 2.5 years
II. No Baddies whatsoever
III. INQs (1 year span):
(EQ) 2 *8 months old.*
(EX) 0
(TU) 2 *8 months old.*
IV. 20% UTL rate
V. Fako scores;
(EQ) 685 (FAKO)
(EX) 698 (FAKO)
(TU) 710 (FICO)

Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Forward - Worth It?

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

Its that's time of year again where I try and pull the trigger after gardening, I'm deciding on a Citi card.

I used to have the Citi Forward (Student) Card but had it closed by Citi due to "too many INQs". Now I would like to re-apply but I'm not sure which card would best fit my needs?

I know Citi Forward is great for eating out and for entertainment purposes which I really don't do much of at all, so I was debating between the Citi Forward card or a different card? I can't seem to figure out which but I would use it mostly for 'every day' purchases, or large purchases if given a large CL.

My credit history:

III. INQs (1 year span):
(EQ) 2 *8 months old.*
(EX) 0
(TU) 2 *8 months old.*
IV. 20% UTL rate
V. Fako scores;
(EQ) 685 (FAKO)
(EX) 698 (FAKO)
(TU) 710 (FICO)

Thanks everyone!

Citi is kind of annoying with inquiries.  Personally, they were my first unsecured line of credit when I started building (back in 2010, good luck getting a student card!), but in my recent dealings with them, any attempt to change product type at all will result in a 5% APR increase.  I say to heck with them, there are better issuers, just IMO.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 19
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

What about Chase Freedom?

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Forward is worth it if you spend a lot for dining, entertainment (movies, etc), or Amazon purchases.

If you do not fall into these catagories, you will not maximize rewards.

You already said you do not do a lot of the first two. Do you spend a lot on Amazon? Then it may still be worth it. 

There may be better alternatives for you, depending where you spend.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grigorexxxcore wrote:

My credit history:

III. INQs (1 year span):
(EQ) 2 *8 months old.*
(EX) 0
(TU) 2 *8 months old.*
IV. 20% UTL rate
V. Fako scores;
(EQ) 685 (FAKO)
(EX) 698 (FAKO)
(TU) 710 (FICO)

Thanks everyone!

how many inquiries did you have at the time of them reviewing the account for closure?

Message 5 of 19
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for the great replies!

Smc733- Yeah I've heard that Citi is a bit 'inquiry-phobic' haha.

JustMe77- I want to really apply for that card! Do you think I stand a chance with them?

Raenys- Oh wow Forward offers benefits with Amazon? I used to always shop on Amazon but I haven't done so lately. That is something to consider though!

Fusioncredit- I think it was about 8 or 9 INQs? All within a 3 month period. They flagged me for high risk even though my UTL rate was about 40%.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
Thank you all for the great replies!

Smc733- Yeah I've heard that Citi is a bit 'inquiry-phobic' haha.

JustMe77- I want to really apply for that card! Do you think I stand a chance with them?

Raenys- Oh wow Forward offers benefits with Amazon? I used to always shop on Amazon but I haven't done so lately. That is something to consider though!

Fusioncredit- I think it was about 8 or 9 INQs? All within a 3 month period. They flagged me for high risk even though my UTL rate was about 40%.

Yikes that makes me concerned...how long ago did this happen to you?

Message 7 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you don't spend much in Eating out why would it even be a question rather this card is worth it for you?

My friend got this card because he spends over a $1k a week if not $1500-$2k... in under 4 months he was over 68,000 points, clearly it is worth it for him, his other card is now the Blue Cash Plus or whatever for Grocery.

If you want 1 card to be your all then I would look for flat out rewards regardless of categories like the new Cap1 1.5%, otherwise if you have some other cards, Chase Freedom is okay I suppose if okay with changing categories and low max cash back.

Message 8 of 19
grigorexxxcore
Regular Contributor

Fushioncredit- Oh this was about 2 years ago, I was pretty ignorant when it came to credit and just kept applying, I was 18 and tried to get as many cards as possible before the 'credit A.C.T.' (Or whichever law prohibited lenders to give credit to anyone under 21 without an income of $12,500 or more).

Creditaddict- Sorry if I sounded vague in my post, I'm looking for a card from Citi that generally gives large CL for big purchases and I noticed that Forward was being approved a lot compared to others I had seen.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grigorexxxcore wrote:
Fushioncredit- Oh this was about 2 years ago, I was pretty ignorant when it came to credit and just kept applying, I was 18 and tried to get as many cards as possible before the 'credit A.C.T.' (Or whichever law prohibited lenders to give credit to anyone under 21 without an income of $12,500 or more).

Creditaddict- Sorry if I sounded vague in my post, I'm looking for a card from Citi that generally gives large CL for big purchases and I noticed that Forward was being approved a lot compared to others I had seen.

Well I'm starting to feel better now knowing the circumstances that caused red flags for Citi. I have had Citi cards since 2005 but when I read about them closing your college card because of inquiries that made me concerned since I recently went on an app spree and racked up a lot INQ on EQ in a short span time. 

Now onto your question on which card to apply with Citi. I would either apply for the Diamond Preferred or Platinum Select

Btw have you taken advantage of the 10 day free trial of EQ Score Watch here?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.