cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward denied - why? worth a recon? *UPDATED approved after recon and 1x extra HP*

tag
nagisa
New Contributor

Citi Forward denied - why? worth a recon? *UPDATED approved after recon and 1x extra HP*

I decided to app for a Citi Forward card to get the 5% rewards on Amazon and restaurants. After two weeks of 'further processing required', when I phoned up to check on it today I was told I was denied. After I appliied for the Citi Forward, I also went on a mini app spree and applied for Amex BCP and Amazon Chase Visa and got accepted instantly for both with CL of $7.6k and $3.1k respectively.

Does anyone know why I might have been denied for Forward? My credit report at the time I app'd would have shown my Amex PRG and PNC Points Visa both of which I have had 2+ years; no other negatives on my report other than a Comcast HP (idk why they even HP for this). Also the AMEX letter came saying they pulled EX and I had a 767 FICO score.

Should I bother to recon or just move on (the Citi TY Points aren't quite 1pt:1cent, so it's not that much better than the Amazon one)?

I suppose now that I have had three HPs (Amex BCP, Amazon Chase and Citi Forward) this month, I should probably garden for a few months heh. Well I suppose at least I increased my total CL from 3.3k to 14k, so I suppose I had some success and this should raise my FICO score, right?

(ps I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and the information I've learnt from you guys has been really helpful, so thanks!)

*UPDATED 11-20 (over a month later) approved after recon and 1x extra HP*

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Forward denied - why? worth a recon?

Did the cards you have have a balance reporting? If not, that is your reason. Citi is the only issuer I know that requires at least one account to show a balance.

Message 2 of 21
Dustink
Valued Contributor

It's always worth trying to recon. Usually citi is a challenge to recon with, but you may have a chance.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 21
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@nagisa wrote:

I decided to app for a Citi Forward card to get the 5% rewards on Amazon and restaurants. After two weeks of 'further processing required', when I phoned up to check on it today I was told I was denied. After I appliied for the Citi Forward, I also went on a mini app spree and applied for Amex BCP and Amazon Chase Visa and got accepted instantly for both with CL of $7.6k and $3.1k respectively.

Does anyone know why I might have been denied for Forward? My credit report at the time I app'd would have shown my Amex PRG and PNC Points Visa both of which I have had 2+ years; no other negatives on my report other than a Comcast HP (idk why they even HP for this). Also the AMEX letter came saying they pulled EX and I had a 767 FICO score.

Should I bother to recon or just move on (the Citi TY Points aren't quite 1pt:1cent, so it's not that much better than the Amazon one)?

I suppose now that I have had three HPs (Amex BCP, Amazon Chase and Citi Forward) this month, I should probably garden for a few months heh. Well I suppose at least I increased my total CL from 3.3k to 14k, so I suppose I had some success and this should raise my FICO score, right?

(ps I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and the information I've learnt from you guys has been really helpful, so thanks!)

welcome! Congrats on your approvals citi is bipolar.

Message 4 of 21
nagisa
New Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Did the cards you have have a balance reporting? If not, that is your reason. Citi is the only issuer I know that requires at least one account to show a balance.

Pretty sure I had balances reporting. I almost always PIF but after the statement cut.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $19.7k (10/12), Chase Amazon $4.8k (10/12), Citi Forward $7.5k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k (3/13), Discover it $4.3k (11/13), Citi Double Cash $18k (PC'd 9/16 from AA Executive 7/15), Chase CSR $12.2k (9/16)
Message 5 of 21
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

A credit increase does not increase score. The only time it would increase your score is if the increase in available credit lowered your util.

In your position if you were at 3k limit with 3% reporting you wouldn't see a gain going to 14k.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 21
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I say if you already got dinged for it then it doesn't hurt anymore to call to recon.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Always worth a recon when you take a HP!

CONGRATS on your other approvals tho!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 21
nagisa
New Contributor

Urgh I phoned them up and was told I need to wait for the letter which has a reference #, even though they would happily tell me what was on the letter.

Their customer service seems so ineffecient.

Message 9 of 21
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the other prime accounts!!

Citi is a waste of time and energy a good 90% of the time. Even after getting approved for a Discover and Amex, I'd be more scared to get denied by Citi for something stupid....

Like too many inqs LOL

So, by all means...try to recon if you want to deal with a rude CSR or subpar CS....

Sounds like you got a couple of the best cards though anyway... Might mention to Citi if you call them back that Amex approved you...

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.