New Contributor
nagisa

Citi Forward denied - why? worth a recon? *UPDATED approved after recon and 1x extra HP*

[ Edited ]

I decided to app for a Citi Forward card to get the 5% rewards on Amazon and restaurants. After two weeks of 'further processing required', when I phoned up to check on it today I was told I was denied. After I appliied for the Citi Forward, I also went on a mini app spree and applied for Amex BCP and Amazon Chase Visa and got accepted instantly for both with CL of $7.6k and $3.1k respectively.

Does anyone know why I might have been denied for Forward? My credit report at the time I app'd would have shown my Amex PRG and PNC Points Visa both of which I have had 2+ years; no other negatives on my report other than a Comcast HP (idk why they even HP for this). Also the AMEX letter came saying they pulled EX and I had a 767 FICO score.

Should I bother to recon or just move on (the Citi TY Points aren't quite 1pt:1cent, so it's not that much better than the Amazon one)?

I suppose now that I have had three HPs (Amex BCP, Amazon Chase and Citi Forward) this month, I should probably garden for a few months heh. Well I suppose at least I increased my total CL from 3.3k to 14k, so I suppose I had some success and this should raise my FICO score, right?

(ps I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and the information I've learnt from you guys has been really helpful, so thanks!)

*UPDATED 11-20 (over a month later) approved after recon and 1x extra HP*

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $7.6k (10/12) -> $19.7k (3x CLI), Amazon Chase Visa $3.1k (10/12), Citi Forward Student $4k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k siggy (3/13 - 50k sign up bonus)

EX FICO 767 10/12
TU FAKO(? from Chase Amazon) 742/990 10/12
Valued Contributor
navigatethis12

Re: Citi Forward denied - why? worth a recon?

Did the cards you have have a balance reporting? If not, that is your reason. Citi is the only issuer I know that requires at least one account to show a balance.

Valued Contributor
Dustink

It's always worth trying to recon. Usually citi is a challenge to recon with, but you may have a chance.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Frequent Contributor
wallyworld123

nagisa wrote:

I decided to app for a Citi Forward card to get the 5% rewards on Amazon and restaurants. After two weeks of 'further processing required', when I phoned up to check on it today I was told I was denied. After I appliied for the Citi Forward, I also went on a mini app spree and applied for Amex BCP and Amazon Chase Visa and got accepted instantly for both with CL of $7.6k and $3.1k respectively.

Does anyone know why I might have been denied for Forward? My credit report at the time I app'd would have shown my Amex PRG and PNC Points Visa both of which I have had 2+ years; no other negatives on my report other than a Comcast HP (idk why they even HP for this). Also the AMEX letter came saying they pulled EX and I had a 767 FICO score.

Should I bother to recon or just move on (the Citi TY Points aren't quite 1pt:1cent, so it's not that much better than the Amazon one)?

I suppose now that I have had three HPs (Amex BCP, Amazon Chase and Citi Forward) this month, I should probably garden for a few months heh. Well I suppose at least I increased my total CL from 3.3k to 14k, so I suppose I had some success and this should raise my FICO score, right?

(ps I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and the information I've learnt from you guys has been really helpful, so thanks!)

welcome! Congrats on your approvals citi is bipolar.

New Contributor
nagisa

navigatethis12 wrote:

Did the cards you have have a balance reporting? If not, that is your reason. Citi is the only issuer I know that requires at least one account to show a balance.

Pretty sure I had balances reporting. I almost always PIF but after the statement cut.

PNC Points Visa $3.3k (5/09), Amex PRG NPSP (9/10), Amex BCP $7.6k (10/12) -> $19.7k (3x CLI), Amazon Chase Visa $3.1k (10/12), Citi Forward Student $4k (11/12), Chase Southwest RR Premier $8k siggy (3/13 - 50k sign up bonus)

EX FICO 767 10/12
Valued Contributor
rootpooty

A credit increase does not increase score. The only time it would increase your score is if the increase in available credit lowered your util.

In your position if you were at 3k limit with 3% reporting you wouldn't see a gain going to 14k.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 3k | BOFA 123 3k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 1800 | Walmart 1450 | Buckle 300

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred!
Valued Contributor
chnceit

I say if you already got dinged for it then it doesn't hurt anymore to call to recon.

$100K in Credit
Last Credit Card App: 11/16/13
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl

[ Edited ]

Always worth a recon when you take a HP!

CONGRATS on your other approvals tho!

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 724 (EQ) 709 (EX) 711 (TU) 4/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One (5.0k) | Discover IT (5.0k) | Walmart Discover (3.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL | Citi Simplicity (8.0k)
--------------------------Gardening until my credit recovers...NO MORE INQUIRES TIL 2015
New Contributor
nagisa

Urgh I phoned them up and was told I need to wait for the letter which has a reference #, even though they would happily tell me what was on the letter.

Their customer service seems so ineffecient.

EX FICO 767 10/12
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Congrats on the other prime accounts!!

Citi is a waste of time and energy a good 90% of the time. Even after getting approved for a Discover and Amex, I'd be more scared to get denied by Citi for something stupid....

Like too many inqs LOL

So, by all means...try to recon if you want to deal with a rude CSR or subpar CS....

Sounds like you got a couple of the best cards though anyway... Might mention to Citi if you call them back that Amex approved you...

Good luck!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | CSP $10k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $5k | Express $3.05K | Myponts.com Visa $3.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+