Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward -> TY Preferred

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Citi Forward -> TY Preferred

Seems like they are finally killing of the Forward (which was pretty useless since they removed the 5x version)  Forced conversion to the Preferred Jan 6

I know that people have had difficultly PCing the forward, maybe some time after the conversion you will have more luck PCing from the Preferred.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Forward -> TY Preferred

Isn't the nerfed Forward basically a Thank You Preferred anyway? The only difference I can think of is the extra points for paying on time and the APR reduction thing. Other than that, basically the same thing, although now PCs may be possible like you said.

Message 2 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Isn't the nerfed Forward basically a Thank You Preferred anyway? The only difference I can think of is the extra points for paying on time and the APR reduction thing. Other than that, basically the same thing, although now PCs may be possible like you said.

They sent fairly large package which includes the differences (which hardly matter compared to a 2% everywhere card).    Basically, the Forward earns 2 TYP restaurants, music, movies and books.   The TYPref earns 2 TYP on a wide category of entertainment, which includes restaurants and movie theatres but doesn't include books, music stores (downloaded music is coverered) and some things at video stores which I guess were also covered.  And no bakeries....

The APR reduction is handled in a one time reduction, up to 2% if you haven't previously used it.   Also, no 100 TYP per month for paying at least the min payment and staying under the credit limit.

So not a huge change, one no-longer appealing card turning into another unappealing card....    

Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Citi Forward Visa went away along time back ... and I have had "Thank You" Points in the past and have found other rewards programs far more rewarding. Citi is not in the race for staying rewards competitive except it seems on their travel oriented cards with annual fees.
Message 4 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for starting the thread OP! I received my packet in the mail yesterday.

The rewards structure is basically already there, but to get it there completely, they take care of the last two holdouts of what made the card unique:

1. You lose the 100 TY point bonus each month you pay and stay below your balance (1,200 points/yr) (not significant, but still nice)
  2. Your 2% APR reduction becomes permanent (definitely an awesome outcome)

I look forward to January 6, 2018 when the account officially changes so I can finally (read: hopefully) PC to another card.  Citi Forward is my oldest revolving account, but the rewards structure became less favorable than most of my cards when they nerfed them in June 2016.

Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

One potential risk is that it might force a reset of the 24Month TYP famliy clock (i.e. can't get bonus for any TYP card if you have opened, closed, or PCed one).

I'm thinking about biting the AAoA reduction bullet to close it before they force the resetSmiley Sad

Message 6 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using it for $500 more once converted Smiley Wink

Received this flyer in the mail yesterday:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-forward-cardholders-product-changed-citi-thankyou-preferred/

I'll take the 10% cash back Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the flyer but no mention of any offers for spending.

Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the flyer but no mention of any offers for spending.

That's what others are reporting as well (comments in link I posted). It must be a targeted promotion.

Message 9 of 45
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Anyone know what's behind Citi's effective abandonment of the Visa network? 

Absent compelling a bonus, I have no wish or need for a third MC (and I wasn't one of the chosen who received the $50 offer).  Just got off the phone w/ Citi to ask that it not send the TYP.  The rep said that the mailing was automatic, and that Citi couldn't stop it.

I advised that I would not be activating the TYP, and asked when the Forward would no longer be accepted.  The rep advised that if I did not activate the TYP, the Forward would be good 'til its expiry date.  I rather doubt that, given that my Forward doesn't expire 'til well over 3 years from now.  We'll see.  (AAoA be damned - I'll choose the network that I want to use.)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.