Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward no more 5ty points?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Forward no more 5ty points?

Hey guys,

I know Citi took the Forward off their website but I just logged into Citi's benefits builder to view the benefits on my cards, and it shows that I only earn 1 Thankyou Point for every dollar spent at restaurants and entertainment. Did they just changed this without telling us? Does this mean no more 5TY points at Amazon, restaurants, etc? If this is true, I guess it's time to close down my account or get a PC.

Citi

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Forward no more 5ty points?

Yup looks like they did remove it

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 29
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

omg **bleep** noooooo!  I hope that's for new cardholders, but if you looked at your benefits builder, then its probably true.  ARGH!  WHy can't they just grandfather us into the old rewards program?

EDIT: Actually, it says "Earn at least 1 Thank You Point for every $1 you spend at...".  I think it said that in my welcome packet that I got back in August.  If I recall correctly, my welcome packet never said 5x points on restaurants, bookstores, etc.  I think the wording has stayed the same.  Now, if it said "Earn a point for each dollar!" then yeah, the rewards structure would have changed.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sakhalin070 wrote:

omg **bleep** noooooo!  I hope that's for new cardholders, but if you looked at your benefits builder, then its probably true.  ARGH!  WHy can't they just grandfather us into the old rewards program?

EDIT: Actually, it says "Earn at least 1 Thank You Point for every $1 you spend at...".  I think it said that in my welcome packet that I got back in August.  If I recall correctly, my welcome packet never said 5x points on restaurants, bookstores, etc.  I think the wording has stayed the same.  Now, if it said "Earn a point for each dollar!" then yeah, the rewards structure would have changed.

Yea, I noticed the wording as well, but that just means they are allowed to change the reward structure at any time without stating exactly how many points we will earn. What does "at least" mean? In any case, I hope they are not changing it because it just doesn't make sense. The Citi Forward Student still has the 5x points...

Message 4 of 29
nickn86
Contributor

Nope, I can confirm that it has always said this.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 5 of 29
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

From my interactions with Citi CSRs, the 5x points on restaurants, bookstores, etc is a "promotional" rewards structure. Albeit a very long standing promotional structure. Just the same, the CSRs have been unable to tell me anything was changing on my card, and in fact I have been assured that some sort of formal notice would accompany any rewards change on my individual card given its "promotional" status. So I also don't think that the wording is concerning at this point.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 29
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

If they wind up changing the structure, my Amex is going to get a lot more use. I only ever use the Forward for its 5x categories. Otherwise, I find the return to not be as good as that on my PRG (I value 1 MR point > 1 ThankYou point)
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 7 of 29
bribro
Valued Contributor

Wow, that sucks. I guess I dodged a bullet since I was just about to apply for a Forward card.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 29
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Actually hold your thought for a moment.

You see Citi Forward has two flavors actually, one that offers 5X points and one that doesn't. Some people do stumble on the later one.

Similar to Priceline Visa, one that offers 2X points and one that doesn't.

Message 9 of 29
Nstark
Established Member

My statement cut yesterday and it appears that I have received the 5X points as usual.

Wallet: Sallie Mae World MC ($7K 10/31/13 - 5% Gas) | Chase Freedom ($3K - 5% Rotating) | Citi Student Forward ($2200 - 5X Food, Entertainment & Book Stores) | Sams Discover ($1750)

Drawer: Sams Consumer ($4.5K) | Capital One Student Journey ($1250) | Capital One Secured MC ($225)

Credit Start Date: 08/05/2011 Age: 21
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.