Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward - what's great about it?

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Citi Forward - what's great about it?

I've been looking at the Citi cards lately and it seems as if a lot of ppl on this board like the Forward.  After the 0% and balance transfer deals run out, how good is this card?  Are the rewards good being it seems you have to spend in certain categories?  It looks to me like a rebuilder card, or do I have it all wrong?

Please share what you like about Citi Forward!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Forward - what's great about it?

The Forward card is offers 5 pts at restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, music record stores video rental stores and movie theaters. It's a pretty good rewards card in my opinion. Citi is also offering a new "Thank You Preferred card" it just came out recently.

You should visit their website and do the Cards comparisons.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 18
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I did visit their website and compared my top 3 choices.  That's why I came on here to see why ppl liked the Forward because it wasn't one of my choices.  Smiley Tongue

Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Message 3 of 18
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I did visit their website and compared my top 3 choices.  That's why I came on here to see why ppl liked the Forward because it wasn't one of my choices.  Smiley Tongue

Which benefits are you looking for? I use my "Thank You" points to redeem Starbucks gift cards periodically, and the points gets built up pretty fast IMO.

I highly suggest the Forward it's a great card, too bad they came out with it after I applied for the diamond rewards.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 4 of 18
andre181
Established Contributor

I love my Forward card. The points do add up really fast. The movies category includes Netflix, the music category includes iTunes, and the bookstore category includes ALL purchases on Amazon.

I did the math once upon a time, and if you redeem your points for statement credits, the bonus categories are 3% cash back, which is pretty good!

The quarterly APR reductions are nice. And Citi seems good with CLI's.

The card is marketed to younger people who are building credit, but IMO its a great prime card that everybody should at least consider.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 5 of 18
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@andre181 wrote:

I love my Forward card. The points do add up really fast. The movies category includes Netflix, the music category includes iTunes, and the bookstore category includes ALL purchases on Amazon.

I did the math once upon a time, and if you redeem your points for statement credits, the bonus categories are 3% cash back, which is pretty good!

The card is marketed to younger people who are building credit, but IMO its a great prime card that everybody should at least consider.

+1

Have you seen the new preferred card?

There are no reviews on it yet...

-Alexander Dumas
Message 6 of 18
clocktick
Valued Contributor

CreditKid - the Diamond Rewards was one of the ones I really like!  There was another Diamond Reward Cash one that isn't on the site anymore since the Thank You ones came out.  Smiley Sad

I guess I didn't entirely understand the categories part.  If you do not spend in the categories, is there still a flat percentage you get?  I think I'm just opposed to categories although I've never tried it.  I like all around points or cash for spending on anything.

@andre181 wrote:

Thank you  That's why I really want to get in with Citi.  I use a Chase Amazon card for Amazon purchases, however, I'd definitely put my Netflix on it.  How high do the limits go considering it's a rebuilder card?

The APR reductions are nice but don't affect me.

Thank you

Message 7 of 18
andre181
Established Contributor

@TheCreditKid wrote:

@andre181 wrote:

+1

Have you seen the new preferred card?

There are no reviews on it yet...

I haven't heard of it. I just looked it up and it looks... interesting.

No preset spending limit is nice, but to me the rewards really don't look that good. 2 points for every dollar spent for the first year, and 1 point for every dollar spent after the first year. 

I would choose Forward over that.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 8 of 18
andre181
Established Contributor

Thank you  That's why I really want to get in with Citi.  I use a Chase Amazon card for Amazon purchases, however, I'd definitely put my Netflix on it.  How high do the limits go considering it's a rebuilder card?

Thank you

My limit started out at $3000, and has grown to $6500 in just over a year. I've seen a couple people here that have a $10-12k limit on Forward cards tho.

Message 9 of 18
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

CreditKid - the Diamond Rewards was one of the ones I really like!  There was another Diamond Reward Cash one that isn't on the site anymore since the Thank You ones came out.  Smiley Sad

I guess I didn't entirely understand the categories part.  If you do not spend in the categories, is there still a flat percentage you get?  I think I'm just opposed to categories although I've never tried it.  I like all around points or cash for spending on anything.

@andre181 wrote:

Thank you

Yes, I believe if you don't qualify for those categories then it's 1 point for every dollar. Something like that Smiley Very Happy

-Alexander Dumas
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.