Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Forward

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Forward

What do you all of think of the Citi Forward card or Citi cards in general?

I applied a few days ago and am waiting to hear back from Citi.  They told me they needed 7-10 business days to review my paplication, which doesn't surprise me because I only updated my banking address last month.  I confirmed the information for them via phone and am waiting for a response.

I do not hear very much about this card on the forums and was wondering why.  The 5% rewards on restaurants and bookstores (including Amazon.com for the time being) is extremely appealing.  I live in NYC and eat out on a daily basis, more often than not multiple times per day.  My restaurant spend is probably in the $2-$3K/mo range on average, and often quite more if I am doing a lot of wining & dining type stuff.  The cap is supposedly $75K/yr.  It seems like a no brainer?  I have 2 cards from Chase and an AMEX Green so I don't necessarily need this card, but figured it was worth applying for based on the rewards structure.

My scores are in the 680-700 range depending on the CB.  Income (if it matters at all) is over $200K/yr.  3 or 4 INQ.  Just wondering if anyone has any insight into Citi's processes along with feedback on this specific card.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bribro
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Forward

Citi is a good, prime credit card company. IMO, they are lacking in the CS department and their TY rewards program is a little weak compared to UR and MR.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does CS stand for?   What is your best bet with a Citi - cashing out the points for gift cards?  I'll have to look further into what airlines FF programs you can transfer TY points to.  This would be helpful to know.

Message 3 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What does CS stand for?   What is your best bet with a Citi - cashing out the points for gift cards?  I'll have to look further into what airlines FF programs you can transfer TY points to.  This would be helpful to know.

CS=Customer Service. I don't know much about the TY program, but understand that high value gift cards are the best value. Don't know about any airline transfer programs.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 11
jla84
Regular Contributor

I just got this card in April. Seems like a really nice card if you're spending a fair amount on dining out/entertainment stuff. Haven't figured out the TY program yet, and would also be interested in finding out what the best value is for that program. 

Also, I believe this is at least one of easier cards to get from Citi, if not the easiest. My FICO scores are in the low 700s (ranges from around 710-730) and I was instantly approved for $6500, making this my highest CL card. IIRC, they pulled EQ. The APR is not the best (mine is 22.99%. Oof!), but they gave me a year of 0% interest. 

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

I've had the Citi Forward card for about 2 years now. In fact, I have three of them (my original online application was duplicated so I ended up with two cards with a $5000 CL each and my Citi mtvU was just auto converted to a Forward.) The card is great for entertainment purchases as was stated by someone else before. Fast food/restaurants, bookstores (including Amazon.com) and such are all 5 pts/$1...plus if you use it often they send you letters or emails to sign up for bonus points (usually 20% extra) for a few months at a time. Plus if you use the card and pay on time over a three month period they lower your APR by .25% and will do so up to 8 times. (When I got the cards I started at 13.99% and am now down to 12.24%). Another good thing is that they grow with you if you keep your credit decent enough. My $5000 limits have since grown to $11,900 and $11,400. As far as TY point redemption goes, the best options are gift cards or student loan credits. Statement credit is decent enough, but cash value sucks, and product redemption is only good when you're getting an item having a ty point redemption "sale". Despite the less than stellar redemption rates, the Citi Forward is easily my most used card.

Message 6 of 11
2NE1
Established Contributor

can you elaborate a bit more about the "student loan credits"? how do you apply your rewards towards that?

TIA!
Message 7 of 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I'm starting recon for my next round of cards after refi. What y'all think aout this card? What's the deal with student loan credits?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

The cap is 75,000 TY points per year, or $15,000 spending per year assuming you spend it all on 5X category.

Message 9 of 11
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

Probably the best rewards card Citi has for students and non-students period.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.