Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi HHonnors vs. AMEX HHonnors

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi HHonnors vs. AMEX HHonnors

I may already know the answer to this question based on the rewards they give, however I was approved for both cards the same day.  Citi gave a higher CLI, but I've been told AMEX hands out CLI's like candy on Halloween.  Any suggestions? (These are my second cards with both banks).

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Citi HHonnors vs. AMEX HHonnors

Welcome to MyFico. 

In the future, post something like this in the credit card board. You'll get a much quicker response! Hopefully a mod will come around to move it for ya. 

Which two of the hilton cards did you get? Each lender offers 2 different hilton cards. 

Honestly, I think applying for one from each bank is the way to do it. Get the signup bonuses for both. I just hope you input your hhonors account number on the apps so your points will both be dropped into your hhonors account as opposed to making 2 seperate accounts. 

The only real difference is the earning rates and some of the signup bonuses. 

The two cards with annual fees from amex and citi (The surpass from amex and reserve from citi) both offer gold status for the life of the account, and the two cards with no annual fees both offer silver status for the life of the account. 

The amex surpass is definitely the biggest earner, with a lower AF than the citi card, and offers a priority club membership (access to airport lounges for $27 a visit) 

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 12
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I had the AmEx Surpass HH before my BK and loved it. Used the card for everything and never paid for a hotel room for our family vacations.

If you just got the AmEx card - use the 3x CLI process on the 61st day (search on here for the exact steps to get a bigger credit limit).

Also? AmEx will give you greater CLIs if you don't revolve balances regularly (even though it is a lending product).
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 3 of 12
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I don't see what your question is....

Message 4 of 12
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

which one is better.  CITI or AMEX hilton.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 5 of 12
Involver
Valued Contributor

I went with the Amex version first specifically to pad my AAoA. May app the Citi product at some point to pad my points.
Message 6 of 12
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

which one is better.  CITI or AMEX hilton.

Dr, was asking which versions of the HHonors card was the OP wanting to know was better. Both Citi and Amex have a no AF card and then they both have a AF fee card.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 7 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I prefer the Amex Surpass. But keep in mind there both offer two different cards with different sign up bonuses. Citi versions are much easier to churn.
Message 8 of 12
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

He already and applied and got approved for both so why ask about comparison now? Just go and see which gives you more points for your spending style.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did apply for both and was approved.  I applied online with AMEX and then call Citi and whilie talking to the account specialest I ask how her card was better, her response was just to give me a hight CL.  I went cheap and signed up for the no annual fee cards, however I will have all point for both cards in the same HHonnors account.   I figure if I have both cards on me, I'll use AMEX first for the higher points and if they don't except AMEX ill have the Visa Signature.  I plan on hitting AMEX up after the 61 days also, I read a lot about that over the past couple weeks.  Thanks guys!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.