Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Hilton reserve and what will happen

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi Hilton reserve and what will happen

The citi hilton reserve is going away and the question remains what will happen with this card. Will it become an amex or will it just be PC for another citi card? I'm going to reset my bonus clock for my citi ty cards when I close them out in the next month or so and I am kind of concerned that citi might PC my hilton reserve card to a citi ty card at the end of the year and reset the two year bonus clock under the theory its an account opening. What has citi done in the past? Will they announce in advance if they are going to PC the cards over or will they just do it? I prefer to close the card out while its still a hilton reserve vs having it PC if its going to screw up my bonus clock. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Hilton reserve and what will happen

I have no real information, but everything I have read suggests Citi will not be selling their Hilton portfolio, but will instead be transitioning everyone to one of their current card offerings. My guess is the Citi TYP.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

The citi hilton reserve is going away and the question remains what will happen with this card. Will it become an amex or will it just be PC for another citi card? I'm going to reset my bonus clock for my citi ty cards when I close them out in the next month or so and I am kind of concerned that citi might PC my hilton reserve card to a citi ty card at the end of the year and reset the two year bonus clock under the theory its an account opening. What has citi done in the past? Will they announce in advance if they are going to PC the cards over or will they just do it? I prefer to close the card out while its still a hilton reserve vs having it PC if its going to screw up my bonus clock. 

I do not think anybody knows yet. There are a few scenarios:

1) Citi gets a taste of revenge from Amex (over the Costco card issue) and Amex gets all of Citi's HH cards

2) Citi changes all of the HH cards to that awful Thankyou Preferred (for no AF HH) or Thankyou Premier (for the AF version of HH)

3) Citi closes the cards (unlikely)

My only experience with something similar was back in 2000-2001. Best Buy, for whatever reason, had their store card issued by both Household Bank and GECCC (today's Synchorny Bank). In 2002, Best Buy decided to have their cards only issued by one lender, Household (became HSBC, then Capital One), so they sent me a nastygram in the post informing me that my card would be closed and that if I wanted to have a Best Buy card I'd have to apply for a Household backed version. Granted, this was 15 years ago and a store card. I doubt that Citi would close the HH cards completely. My best guess is that they will become Thankyou cards.....

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're prob gonna send you a another citi card. They lost the portfolio already,And don't want to loose a customer to they'll just send you a different city card so they can keep on getting they're swipe fees. Imho
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.