Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Hilton reserve card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi Hilton reserve card

Anyone able to get the signup bonus on this card a second time? I opened the card a year ago and got the signup offer. The AF is now due. I thought if I close this account it would reset my bonus clock, but if I keep the card I can app for a new card in another six months to get bonus again. Does anyone know if this is the case? If I can't get the bonus again then this card is not worth it because there is no free hotel night per year unless you run 10k through it. If that is the case I will contact citi to see if the can PC it to a double cash, which I can use has my cashback card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Longroad
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Hilton reserve card

@red259 wrote:

Anyone able to get the signup bonus on this card a second time? I opened the card a year ago and got the signup offer. The AF is now due. I thought if I close this account it would reset my bonus clock, but if I keep the card I can app for a new card in another six months to get bonus again. Does anyone know if this is the case? If I can't get the bonus again then this card is not worth it because there is no free hotel night per year unless you run 10k through it. If that is the case I will contact citi to see if the can PC it to a double cash, which I can use has my cashback card. 

I am going to guess that it would be the full 18 months after you make the change, that is if they will PC. There is not usually any luck PCing from a co-branded card to a bank card. Also, the agreement shows that you are not eligible for the sign-up reward if you had a Reserve card opened OR closed in the past 18 months.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=hilton-hhonors-reserve-card&cat...

Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I am going to guess that it would be the full 18 months after you make the change, that is if they will PC. There is not usually any luck PCing from a co-branded card to a bank card. Also, the agreement shows that you are not eligible for the sign-up reward if you had a Reserve card opened OR closed in the past 18 months.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/citi.action?ID=hilton-hhonors-reserve-card&cat...

OP - agree with Longroad.  The T&C clearly state in the application form (under the Additional Information section):

Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.

IIRC, Citi would likely not let you PC the HHonors Reserve to Double Cash.  This is a separate partner program than some of their other legacy CCs.

Message 3 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

OP - agree with Longroad.  The T&C clearly state in the application form (under the Additional Information section):

Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.

IIRC, Citi would likely not let you PC the HHonors Reserve to Double Cash.  This is a separate partner program than some of their other legacy CCs.

Odd they wouldn't let me PC it when they were willing to do so for my citi AA exec card. I guess I will pay the AF, so that I can go for the signup offer again in June. 

;
Message 4 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Odd they wouldn't let me PC it when they were willing to do so for my citi AA exec card. I guess I will pay the AF, so that I can go for the signup offer again in June. 

In the grand scheme of things, it's $95.  Citi AA Exec (and any AAdvantage CC) - different product partnership.

Message 5 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

In the grand scheme of things, it's $95.  Citi AA Exec (and any AAdvantage CC) - different product partnership.

True its $95 and in the grand scheme that may not be much, but other than the chance of getting the signup again the card sadly has nothing else going for it with me. I really wish they would give a free annual night without requiring 10k spend. It would make paying this fee much less painful. 

;
Message 6 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

True its $95 and in the grand scheme that may not be much, but other than the chance of getting the signup again the card sadly has nothing else going for it with me. I really wish they would give a free annual night without requiring 10k spend. It would make paying this fee much less painful. 

Well, you could entertain downgrading to the non-AF HHonors version but then you'd lose Gold status and get slotted with Silver (plus no sign up bonus).  I suppose it all depends how much it's worth it to you and how often you stay at Hilton properties.  The same would apply for your Chase Hyatt card as far as the long term value.

Message 7 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Well, you could entertain downgrading to the non-AF HHonors version but then you'd lose Gold status and get slotted with Silver (plus no sign up bonus).  I suppose it all depends how much it's worth it to you and how often you stay at Hilton properties.  The same would apply for your Chase Hyatt card as far as the long term value.

The only factor is the signup bonus IMO. I have gold status via amex plat. Since I want to go to Japan those two weekend nights could be worth quite a bit more than $95. 

;
Message 8 of 11
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

The only factor is the signup bonus IMO. I have gold status via amex plat. Since I want to go to Japan those two weekend nights could be worth quite a bit more than $95. 

What do you think about the Amex Plat vs. Citi Hilton Reserve? I've got both, and I'll only end up keeping one after this year.

In this context, the Plat has an effective AF of $155, after factoring out the airline credit and the $95 AF saved by cancelling the Hilton Reserve. After the first year you'd lose the free night cert, but the 10k would be able to be diverted elsewhere with a higher return.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Longroad wrote:

@red259 wrote:

What do you think about the Amex Plat vs. Citi Hilton Reserve? I've got both, and I'll only end up keeping one after this year.

In this context, the Plat has an effective AF of $155, after factoring out the airline credit and the $95 AF saved by cancelling the Hilton Reserve. After the first year you'd lose the free night cert, but the 10k would be able to be diverted elsewhere with a higher return.

I'm not a big fan of the amex plat. I have it because of the signup offer, but in the end I would keep the citi prestige over the plat. It depends on your focus. If you are only interested in the benefit of gold status then the hilton reserve is better. If however you can use the other amex plat benefits to make it worthwhile (e.g., use centurioun lounges, you fly delta and want to use their lounges etc) and you also spend time at spg properties as well as hilton then the plat could be worthwhile. I agree spending 10k on the hilton reserve isn't really a good investment because many times people will have better cards to put that spend on. Since I have both cards I can tell you I won't be keeping the plat because I don't use the benefits enough (some benefits overlap with prestige). I am going to keep the reserve just because I don't want to reset the 18 month signup bonus clock. 

;
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.