Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Invitation

tag
Longroad
Established Contributor

Citi Invitation

Received an offer in the mail from Citi for the Diamond Preferred Card that states "You've been pre-selected to apply". Does not mention "pre-approved", but does give a stated interest rate after the 0% intro period. When I go to the Citi website and check for pre-qualified cards, it says nothing can be found. Not sure what any of this means, but am definitely intrigued if nothing else. I have been wanting an in with Citi, and the 0% balance transfer would be nice for that first 12 mos. Any insights from the Citi experts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Invitation

it's the same thing for me - none - when i check if im prequalified but when i use the reference/invitation number from the mailers, it shows up.

here's the site if you have the invitation number handy from your mailer ~
https://www.citicards.com/cards/credit/application/flow.action?isInvitation=Y

btw i get a lot of citi DP pre- mailers (almost once every month. citi Simplicity maybe once or thrice now since last yr) but i'm holding out for another citi DC pre- mailer (only gotten it once). btw the citi DC invitation number i got from last yr still works when i enter it (expired 12.31.2015). hopefully it stays on til july (or earlier if i get the itch. lolz) when i finally app for a citi DC.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Citi DC this way. Invitation to apply with a solid APR. went to pre-qual and got no offers. Said wth and applied and was approved. Not advocating it, just a data point.

ETA: I also got a Home Depot one about a month after that with similar terminology and was declined.

Message 3 of 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Mine started with DP, Then the rate got lower, Soon DC followed, Next was Hilton. Now I get 3 mailers a week from Citi. If you want a better offer, just wait.

I haven't apped Citi yet, btw

Message 4 of 9
VegasMom
Regular Contributor

My mailer for DC said "you're invited to apply" with a 13-23% apr range. It reminded me of the discover prequal. Lol. I didn't app. Yours with the preselected and stated interest rate sounds much more promising.
Message 5 of 9
mikelo22
Established Contributor

@VegasMom wrote:
My mailer for DC said "you're invited to apply" with a 13-23% apr range. It reminded me of the discover prequal. Lol. I didn't app. Yours with the preselected and stated interest rate sounds much more promising.

+1.  One surefire way to figure out if it's a legit prequalification is whether the lender gives you a specific APR.  If it's a precise APR, it's a legitimate prequalification, but if you are given a range, then it's not a Prequal.  Since you were given a specific APR, then it should be a legit prequalification.  Diamond Preferred is a great card for keeping balances.  No oen else beats Citi's 21 month of 0% APR.

Citi's Prequal system is pretty darn accurate so long as you get a specific APR.  Citi will also outright tell you if you prequalified for anything.  At the very top after you submit your info, it will say something like "[Your Name], we couldn't match your records to a Pre-qualified credit card offer.  See below for 3 other cards you may like."

Other Lenders are a bit more sneaky, and they'll use wording like "Recommended Cards" when you don't prequalify.

Message 6 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If it has a set APR, chances are you would be approved (though not always).

Having said that, I'd wait for a better offer/card. Diamond Preferred is pretty lackluster by all accounts, unless you really want the 0% (but you can find more long term rewarding cards with 0% offers).

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto. I never had any prequals online with citi and they graciously gave me a DC at 0 for 18 months then 13.99 no 14.24%.....  If your rate on your envelope is anything above 19%, keep checking prequal online, this seems to trigger more mailed offers, and when you see a great rate, bite.  

Of course if you could save money NOW with the 0% do it today. The DP is a great card for future BT offers too, great for a debt shuffle without having to open more and more cards.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the consensus - time is your friend. No need to waste a hard pull. Check Credit Pulls Database and see if your scores align and the rest of your report is clean. Many have been approved without pre-qual but I would research a bit more before spinning the wheel.

Good Luck

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.