Did you mean: 

Citi Opening CL & CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Opening CL & CLI

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay, I went to what I think is the same menu item, and it says:

"Thank you for your request. Your account must be open for at least 6 months before we can consider granting a Credit Line Increase. You'll receive written confirmation of this message within 7 to 10 business days. During this evaluation, a credit report was not pulled on your account. Thank you for using our website."

Same luv button, or was I in a different place?

I got the same response from a CSR when I called to activate my 2 cards. The 6 months wait. I'm not even going to try until after the 7th month anniversary, just to be on the safe side.
Message 11 of 17
stefanc
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Last weekend applied for a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards MC card. Got the 30 day notice. I haven't received the card yet, but today, 2 days later, I logged in to their online banking app and ,lo and behold, there is a card there.

The opening CL is $6400, which is not only a bit of an oddball number, but less than hoped for compared to my other CLs ($11K-$30K per card).

For those of you in the know, what are best practices with Citi regarding CLIs?

On activation? Over time?

Do they do hard pulls or soft pulls for CLIs?

Congrats on the approval!

Citi seems to have oddball CLs from time to time. My DF's $5100 CL is one example, but hauling's $1212 CL is a much better one.

As far as this CL being less than the others, Citi is also very stingy, IME.

Citi has a luv button on their site. When you click it, one of two tihngs will happen: 1) you will get a pop up explaining that you are eligible for a CLI of $xxx, and asking whether you would like to accept, or 2) you will be taken to a form where you have to fill in some info (including your bank account information). The popup is a soft pull (or no pull), but the form is a hard pull.

Also, don't dance on the button every day hoping to get the popup. They do monitor how often you click it, even if you don't follow through.

I've got a third thing - EVERY time I click for a CLI I instantly get a denial screen with a number to call. No pop up, no form to fill out.

I guess they don't like me...

Sob, sob
Message 12 of 17
ineedcreditbad
Regular Contributor

My wife called Citi yesterday for a CLI and the rep asked how much do you want which was odd because usually all the reps tell you that you can get an increase of 200 or 500. So my wife said 5K the rep said then she will have to do a hard pull I said forget it.
Message 13 of 17
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

My one experience with them for a CLI was via phone and they told me they could only approve $2,000.00 (which they did) without a hard pull. I don't know if that's their policy for everyone, but my initial credit line was $8,500 and they gave me $2,000 CLI....
Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eeek, so they do a hard pull on any CLI request over $2K?

Maybe I'll just have to wait and see if they do an auto-CLI. I'm tempted to just sock drawer it for 6 months, as the $6400 isn't sufficient to displace one of my regular wallet favorites...but if I do so, would the lack of activity make them less likely to grant a CLI? I'm inclined to think 'yes'.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

watchnerd wrote:
Eeek, so they do a hard pull on any CLI request over $2K?

Not always.  This is YMMV.  DF got a $2200 CLI with no hard pull.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

About 14 months after opening my Dividend Platinum Select MC account, Citi gave me an automatic credit line increase of $1000.  If I take advantage of any of their balance transfer offers, Citi claims that they could increase my credit line by as much as an addtional $5600. 

I only use my Citi card about once or twice monthly, so the credit line isn't terribly important to me.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.