Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi PC thoughts for critique

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Citi PC thoughts for critique

I have an AA Platinum that is a few days short of one year of age. I have a Prestige from early May 2016. I'd like to end up with a Costco card (I'm already a Costco member). I want to avoid opening a new CC account.

Somewhat foolishly, perhaps, I agreed to a promotional APR on both cards. I've since heard that you can't PC during a promotional APR. Is this true?

My AA Platinum APR promo ends 8/1/17. My Prestige APR promo ends 6/1/17.

My understanding is that I can't PC the AA Platinum card until August 2017. I'll likely use the free bag perk and am open to paying the $95 AF. Is there any way I could abandon the APR promo to be able to PC the AA card to Costco sooner?

I believe I could PC my Prestige to the Costco Visa on June 1, 2017. This would be after a full year of history on the account, after the APR promo ends, and before the AF posts. Also, just about two months before the nerf! I'm not sure if I want to bother seeking retention on Prestige.

Am I wrong about any of this? Other thoughts? Do extended warranty protections on old-card purchases survive through a PC?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi PC thoughts for critique

Bump...anyone?

Message 2 of 10
yfan
Valued Contributor

This is a pretty unique situation. I don't think anyone can answer it other than Citi. It's pretty rare for credit card issuers to allow product changes between two different co-branded cards, though.

Message 3 of 10
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I am pretty sure that the ThankYou cards, preferred, Premier and Prestige can only be PC'd within their own family. As an example, I got the Premier back in September of '15 and at the one year mark I PC'd to the lovely Prestige. I could be wrong though?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 4 of 10
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I have an AA Platinum that is a few days short of one year of age. I have a Prestige from early May 2016. I'd like to end up with a Costco card (I'm already a Costco member). I want to avoid opening a new CC account.

Somewhat foolishly, perhaps, I agreed to a promotional APR on both cards. I've since heard that you can't PC during a promotional APR. Is this true?

My AA Platinum APR promo ends 8/1/17. My Prestige APR promo ends 6/1/17.

My understanding is that I can't PC the AA Platinum card until August 2017. I'll likely use the free bag perk and am open to paying the $95 AF. Is there any way I could abandon the APR promo to be able to PC the AA card to Costco sooner?

I believe I could PC my Prestige to the Costco Visa on June 1, 2017. This would be after a full year of history on the account, after the APR promo ends, and before the AF posts. Also, just about two months before the nerf! I'm not sure if I want to bother seeking retention on Prestige.

Am I wrong about any of this? Other thoughts? Do extended warranty protections on old-card purchases survive through a PC?

I also agree that it's probably best for Citi to answer this as your questions are quite unique...

From my recent PC experience with Citi, I can tell you that once you PC your AA into another card, it will no longer have the benefit of the original card. So, I think once you PC your AA, you wont have APR promo and you wont have warranty protection unless the new product you PC into has the warranty protection. However, I think you can PC your AA whenever you want after or near the 1 year mark!! It might not be an option though depending on who you talk to. Some might tell you that your AA is not eligible for PC to certain cards. You might need to guild them to find out...

Say-- "I do like Citi cards but I dont think I fly AA enough to keep this card..." They might bring up PC themselves or you might have to... Then you ask about which card can be PC into and make your decision then.

Message 5 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

The thing is that we're talking about Citi, not Amex or Chase...the CSRs don't have much of a reputation for giving accurate information.

I'll call them and see what they say.

Message 6 of 10
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

The thing is that we're talking about Citi, not Amex or Chase...the CSRs don't have much of a reputation for giving accurate information.

I'll call them and see what they say.

this is very true LOL!  If you dont get the answer you want, say you will think about it and hang up. 

After you have talked with a couple of agents, you will probably know what can or cannot be done. I still suspect that what I said might be accurate.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would wait until its promo is over. Then ask for permanent apr reductions. Then PC it.

Message 8 of 10
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

I am pretty sure that the ThankYou cards, preferred, Premier and Prestige can only be PC'd within their own family. As an example, I got the Premier back in September of '15 and at the one year mark I PC'd to the lovely Prestige. I could be wrong though?

FYI - For the record:  I product changed a ThankYou Premier card into a Double Cash card back in September of last year.  I had to wait until the TYP turned a year old before Citi would allow the PC.  The CSR I spoke with didn't think I would get charged the annual fee, but the $95 annual fee hit on the first statement that was generated for the DC.  I paid the annual fee and then Citi refunded 11 months of the fee back to me on the next statement.  I thought that was very fair, especially considering the super sweet bonus I snagged for the TYP (60K bonus in 2015).  

Message 9 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I called Citi and requested a PC from AA Platinum to Costco. The CSR said it would take two months to go into effect. The APR promotion didn't come up as a problem, and the card is a year and a few days old.

The CSR said the AF would be refunded when the PC goes through. The AF should post in about 28 days, so I think I'll be within the window of Citi's AF refund policy.

Even if I do end up paying another AF, I'm fine with it. I got a nice bonus and will probably get another 2 free bags before the PC goes into effect.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.