Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Platinum Amex - Poor customer service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Platinum Amex - Poor customer service

Rant to follow.

OK.  I have had this card for less than two weeks and I am unimpressed with their customer service.Smiley MadI got this card for two reasons:  free Citi Identity Monitor (credit monitoring service) and fee priority pass (airport lounge access).

1.  Received the card and tried to sign up for the complimentary Citi Identity Monitor.  Nothing about this service included with the card or the brochure which came with the card.  So, I called customer service (foreign call center) and the agent did not know a thing about it.  He gave me the phone numer, so I called Citi Identity Monitor and they wanted to charge me the monthly fee.  Called back to customer service and the supervisor put me on hold for 18 minutes while researching this.  She finally gave me the web address to sign up online.  She also gave me a $50 statement credit for my troubles.

2.  The next day, I tried to enroll in fee waived priority pass.  I did not try to do this at the same time as #1 above.  Again, there was no information about this service included with the card or the brochure that came with the card.  This time, I made three separate phone calls.  Finally, a manager had the correct info to sign up for the fee waived program.

2b.  I checked my account online today, and there was a $99 balance.  Yes, they charged me for the priority pass.  I called and spoke with the highest level manager at the call center.  The first agent said that I could write a letter explaining what happened and that Citi would investigate and dispute the charge after I mailed in my letter.  NO way.  So, I got a manager.  Anyway, he researched this and said that I signed up for the priority pass at the correct web site.  There should be NO fee, Ms. Scout.  So sorry.  I will reverse the charge.

So, my new Citi card may just never get used at all.  I am appalled at the level of customer service.  They advertize this card and sell you on the fee waived Citi ID Monitor and the fee waived priority pass.  But, when you call, the agents do not have a clue as to the account benefits.

Citi sucks....

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Platinum Amex - Poor customer service

Don't you just hate it when CR Reps. are clueless and they try to tell you BS like they know everything?. It's just terrible to see that the CR reps have lack of knowledge in their companies own credit products.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 2 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

that is v. annoying.  the $50 statement credit is a plus.  apparently citi has more pressing concerns at the moment than their programatic linked card offerings.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this happens when companies specialize their cards too much. Better to offer only 3-5 great cards than 15 with widely varying terms.
Message 4 of 8
Takunda1
Established Contributor

I was able to find the citi identity monitor website in less than 30 seconds after reading your post. The internet is your friend. Foregn call center or not most  associates in ANY company  do not know all the products their companies offer. At least they were able to direct you to the correct department.

Message 5 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Maybe Cheddar can chime in. He seems to love his Citi Platinum Amex.
Here we go again...
Message 6 of 8
davidboca
Contributor

AFAIK

Enroll for free with Identity Monitor and Priority Pass, with the following SPECIAL links exclusively for Citi Platinum Amex Members:

http://www.identitymonitor.citi.com/index.aspx?source=IMN00188

http://prioritypass.com/citi/amex/

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by davidboca on 11-26-2008 02:17 PM
Message Edited by davidboca on 11-26-2008 02:31 PM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the comments.  I have enrolled in both the ID Monitor and Priority Pass.

I received a call from Citi ten minutes ago.  I will be getting a letter from the office of the President.  The manager apologized for all of the problems.  The $99 credit has been posted to my account.  He verified that I enrolled for both programs at the correct websites.  He could not explain why the CS agents did not readily know the correct website addresses.  He could not explain how or why I was charged the $99 for the priority pass.

I asked him why the brochure which came with the card did not include info on how to enroll in these two services.  He did not have an answer.  I suggested that they update the brochure or provide links from their website.

Will not be using this card anytime soon... May even close it.

Prefer my regular amex cards:  green, blue, and clear.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.