cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Platinum Offer - What are my chances?

tag
Artzdelux
New Contributor

Citi Platinum Offer - What are my chances?

Hi,
  I just got what I think is a great offer in the mail today for a Citi Platinum card which I am "pre-approved" for.  The card details are:
0% Apr purchases and transfers until July 2009
8.99% Fixed thereafter
Not sure of the BT fees

My credit is:
$1800 of $6000 on HSBC Union Plus card - this is the amount I want to transfer
$500 of $1800 on WAMU
$0 of $2000 on chase
various student loans totalling about $15k
Transunion Credit score: 718
Only negatives are 2 student loans that have been consolidated that are 6 years old (but were 180 days late due to an issue with the consolidation processing).

My questions are:
Am I guaranteed this card because it is "preapproved"?
What do you think based on my credit lines, utilization, and score that I would get approved?
If I am approved, what do you think my CL will be?
Anyone else ever get this offer, and what you end up qualifying for from them?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Platinum Offer - What are my chances?

You're most definitely not guarunteed the card.  However, if you're not looking at purchasing a home or a car in the next 6 months to a year, go for it.  That's a good deal and I'd say based on what you've said that you have a very good chance of getting it.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Artzdelux wrote:
Hi,
  I just got what I think is a great offer in the mail today for a Citi Platinum card which I am "pre-approved" for.  The card details are:
0% Apr purchases and transfers until July 2009
8.99% Fixed thereafter
Not sure of the BT fees

Looks like a pretty good, very basic card offer.  No rewards, but it has a very low APR, which is good if you carry balances.  I would expect BT fees to be 3%.  Is this a Citi Platinum Select card?

My credit is:
$1800 of $6000 on HSBC Union Plus card - this is the amount I want to transfer
$500 of $1800 on WAMU
$0 of $2000 on chase
various student loans totalling about $15k
Transunion Credit score: 718  Where did you get this score?  If it's not a FICO score, you should not pay any attention to it.  Also, Citi may not pull TU.  You need to find out what all three *real* FICOs are.

Only negatives are 2 student loans that have been consolidated that are 6 years old (but were 180 days late due to an issue with the consolidation processing).

How old are the lates?

My questions are:
Am I guaranteed this card because it is "preapproved"?

No.  There is no such thing as a guaranteed preapproval.  It is still possible to be denied.

What do you think based on my credit lines, utilization, and score that I would get approved?

Your utilization is not so bad.  It will be important to find out how old the 180-day lates are, as well as your current, *real* FICO scores.

If I am approved, what do you think my CL will be?

No idea.  That depends on so many other factors we don't have, like household income and FICO scores.

Anyone else ever get this offer, and what you end up qualifying for from them?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
ficonovice
Frequent Contributor

The expected credit line is a very inexact science. No way of really knowing, but I'd say based on your current lines, it likely could be anywhere between $3,000-$7,500. Of course it could be more or less, you never know.

Go for it, you'll likely be approved.
Rust never sleeps and neither does my fico score...
Message 4 of 11
Artzdelux
New Contributor

This is a Citi Platinum Select card.  I am not looking to make any large purchases in the next 6 months, just transfer the balace to a 0% to pay it off.  If I were to be looking to buy a car/ house in the next 6 months, would your recommendation be different and if so why? (credit novice here).

The Transunion score is through my WAMU card, which provides credit history information.
Message 5 of 11
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Artzdelux wrote:
If I were to be looking to buy a car/ house in the next 6 months, would your recommendation be different and if so why? (credit novice here).

Just because the inquiry showing up on your credit report along with the possibility of a new account may scare away picky lenders.  Over applying for one card, I wouldn't worry too terribly much, but your scores might take a minor dip in the few months following opening the new account.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Artzdelux wrote:
This is a Citi Platinum Select card.  I am not looking to make any large purchases in the next 6 months, just transfer the balace to a 0% to pay it off.  If I were to be looking to buy a car/ house in the next 6 months, would your recommendation be different and if so why? (credit novice here).

The Transunion score is through my WAMU card, which provides credit history information.

Yes, if you were planning to buy a house in the next 6 months, you should not be getting any new credit.  If you are planning to buy a car, that's no big deal.

Your TU score from WaMu is what we call a PFICO.  It is a bankcard-enhanced version of your TU FICO score.  I can't emphasize enough that you really should get all three real FICO scores before you apply.  Citi is unpredictable, and could pull any of the three.

You haven't answered the question of how old the 180-day lates are, which, IMO, is the most important factor that will determine whether you are approved or not.  Citi does not like recent lates one bit, and 180-day lates are major derogatories.

Message Edited by cheddar on 06-23-2008 07:52 AM
Message 7 of 11
Artzdelux
New Contributor

The lates were back in 2002, 1 year away from dropping off my report totally.  where/ how would you suggest that I get all 3 scores in the most cost-effective manner?
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Artzdelux wrote:
The lates were back in 2002, 1 year away from dropping off my report totally.  where/ how would you suggest that I get all 3 scores in the most cost-effective manner?

This site is the only place to get all three FICO scores.

Click the Products tab at the top of this screen.  The product you want is called FICO Credit Complete, and it provides a one-time pull of all three reports and FICO scores.  (Note that this product does not update with new information over time.  It is a snapshot of your scores and reports at the time of purchase.)

You can Google "myFICO discount code" for a code to apply at purchase to get as much as 20% off.

Message 9 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

With a PFICO that high I would say chances are decent they give you in the neighborhood of 3K. Go for it. PFICO has more to do with credit card scoring than the classic scores you would pull here and be 40 dollars lighter. I say apply Citi is prime. Good luck.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.