cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Preapproved Offers: Do they check credit file?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Preapproved Offers: Do they check credit file?

This is out of curiousity.  I've been duped by this before back in 2008, not from Citi.  As a consequence, I had inquiry in my credit report.  I did get approved as a consolation but I don't want to go the same way again.

I received pre-approved offers from Citi Diamond Preferred and Citi Dividend World MC.  Are these really pre-approved offers that don't check or make inquiry in your credit file? or do they still inquiry and consequently hit my credit file with hard inquiries?  Both offers say pre-approved and not pre-qualified or pre-selected to apply.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Re: Citi Preapproved Offers: Do they check credit file?

I just got a Citi Dividends World MC offer in the mail myself. I'm wondering about this. Hate to have an inquiry on my report.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even with a pre-approval, almost all lenders will do a hard inq on you when you do the actual application(Except for WFNNB as far as I know).  Expect 1(or more) inquiries if you actually do the application.  The pre-approval is only a soft inquiriy to review your account, but the hard inq should be policy to show you actively have seeked credit.

Message 3 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

This is out of curiousity.  I've been duped by this before back in 2008, not from Citi.  As a consequence, I had inquiry in my credit report.  I did get approved as a consolation but I don't want to go the same way again.

I received pre-approved offers from Citi Diamond Preferred and Citi Dividend World MC.  Are these really pre-approved offers that don't check or make inquiry in your credit file? or do they still inquiry and consequently hit my credit file with hard inquiries?  Both offers say pre-approved and not pre-qualified or pre-selected to apply.

Thank you.

If you apply, you'll get a hard inquiry (they pull your report), because you're applying for credit. Pre-approvals generally result from a soft inquiry, where they buy a list of names of consumers who have a certain credit profile --maybe something like no BK's, no charge-offs, history at least 2 years old --and then send out "pre-approvals." You don't get hit with an inq from these soft inquiries, because they're not actually pulling your full report.

Some lenders --USAA and PenFed come to mind *and WFNNB as waralpha noted* --will offer honest-to-gosh preapprovals to existing customers, and if you accept, there's no hard inq. But this isn't true for those fun things that come in the mail from out of the blue.

eta: waralpha beat me to it, and in a lot fewer words, too. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 16
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescore

What about pre-approvals with an invitation code to apply?

I recently received an invite from CITI for their American Airlines card for only 30,000 miles to apply and they gave me an invitation code.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @waralpha and @haulingthescore

Message 6 of 16
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

@haulingthescore

I recently received an invite from CITI for their American Airlines card for only 30,000 miles to apply and they gave me an invitation code.

Usually the same -- An invitation code allows for quicker identification of the "pre-approved" offer. I was recently pre-approved for a Chase Slate card (with an invitation code) and it cost me an inquiry. Fortunately, I was approved since there have not been any material changes since they "softed" my credit report.

Message 7 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@tntexans72 wrote:

@haulingthescore

I don't think that's any different. Maybe the "invitation code" helps them pull up whatever specific promo you're being offered, or maybe research has shown that more people bite when it's there.  Smiley Wink

Again, the purpose of hard inquiries is to show subscribers to credit bureaus that someone is seeking credit. Being "invited" to seek credit isn't any different.

In terms of scoring, there's often no penalty for the first hard on a specific report within the most recent 12 months, and then maybe 2-5 for the second; then maybe no penalty again for the third, then another hit for the fourth; and so on. Whether you get dinged and by how much varies by individual credit profile.

fwiw, I've always gotten a hard on one of my three reports when I app for a new card, except for accepting some PenFed offers. Pretty sure that I got one for my second USAA card, too, but I think I've read since then that this doesn't always happen nowadays.

Where I balk over getting hard inqs are for things like getting harded for a CLI request (aka, Chase and my Home Depot store card) and getting harded on multiple CRA's for one CC app (aka Cap One.)

eta: beaten once again, this time by lincognito!  Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 16
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Iincognito wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

@haulingthescore

Usually the same -- An invitation code allows for quicker identification of the "pre-approved" offer. I was recently pre-approved for a Chase Slate card (with an invitation code) and it cost me an inquiry. Fortunately, I was approved since there have not been any material changes since they "softed" my credit report.

Thanks...gonna hold off. Waiting for something better. I've been getting bombarded with CITI offers left and right....and if I hold out, something better will come along as I have no need for anything new right now.

Message 9 of 16
Iincognito
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

eta: beaten once again, this time by lincognito!  Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.