cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier PC to Preferred

tag
null

Citi Premier PC to Preferred

Just a PSA, really, but I just called to convert my ThankYou Premier to a Preferred (my annual fee is hitting next statement). When listing out the differing benefits, the rep mentioned that the Preferred has a 100$ credit for precheck or Global Entry every 4 (might have been 5?) years.

Pretty good benefit for a no-annual-fee card, its the only one that I know of!

AMEX Blue Cash - 15k | Barclaycard US Airways - 7.5k | Barclaycard SallieMae - 5k | BofA Cash Rewards - 15k | BofA Travel Rewards - 5k | CapOne Quicksilver - 15k | Chase Amazon - 5k | Chase Freedom - 8.5k | Chase Freedom - 18k | Chase Southwest - 25.4k | Citi Aadvantage Gold - 13k | Citi Dividend - 4.8k | Citi Forward - 9.5k | Citi Preferred - 10.5k | Discover it - 11.5k | Fidelity AMEX - 20k | Macys - 0.5k | Nordstrom - 2.5k | USAA - 18k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Citi Premier PC to Preferred

OP, I  believe you were misinformed since this type of "travel credit" is not part of the standard benefits with the ThankYou Preferred card.  It's highly doubtful that the watered-down version of their TY CCs would even offer such stand alone benefit for a non-AF card.  I haven't seen anything recent that points to this as an added benefit.  Anyone else can confirm I'm sure.

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

OP, I  believe you were misinformed since this type of "travel credit" is not part of the standard benefits with the ThankYou Preferred card.  It's highly doubtful that the watered-down version of their TY CCs would even offer such stand alone benefit for a non-AF card.  I haven't seen anything recent that points to this as an added benefit.  Anyone else can confirm I'm sure.

+1 sounds like CSR quoted you the Prestige terms by mistake 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@null wrote:

Just a PSA, really, but I just called to convert my ThankYou Premier to a Preferred (my annual fee is hitting next statement). When listing out the differing benefits, the rep mentioned that the Preferred has a 100$ credit for precheck or Global Entry every 4 (might have been 5?) years.

Pretty good benefit for a no-annual-fee card, its the only one that I know of!

Sorry but the rep is mistaken. There is no such benefit on the Preferred. The Preferred is a pretty basic card. 2x dining/entertainment, 1x everything else. Not much in the way of "perks" like $100 credit or anything like that. But that's because there's no annual fee.

Message 4 of 6
null

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but there is another anecdotal story in the TPG comments about someone converting to the Preferred and the rep saying the same thing.

I can't confirm that its real, but it would be odd for the rep to read off a list of 10 or so preferred benefits and just slip a prestige benefit in the middle.

Edit: I'll try sending a message to Citi to see if they confirm what I was told.

AMEX Blue Cash - 15k | Barclaycard US Airways - 7.5k | Barclaycard SallieMae - 5k | BofA Cash Rewards - 15k | BofA Travel Rewards - 5k | CapOne Quicksilver - 15k | Chase Amazon - 5k | Chase Freedom - 8.5k | Chase Freedom - 18k | Chase Southwest - 25.4k | Citi Aadvantage Gold - 13k | Citi Dividend - 4.8k | Citi Forward - 9.5k | Citi Preferred - 10.5k | Discover it - 11.5k | Fidelity AMEX - 20k | Macys - 0.5k | Nordstrom - 2.5k | USAA - 18k
Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@null wrote:

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but there is another anecdotal story in the TPG comments about someone converting to the Preferred and the rep saying the same thing.

I can't confirm that its real, but it would be odd for the rep to read off a list of 10 or so preferred benefits and just slip a prestige benefit in the middle.

Edit: I'll try sending a message to Citi to see if they confirm what I was told.

I would get confirmation - since "saying" vs "getting" are two totally different things.  Just be aware that unless it is clearly something advertised on the site or as part of your benefits/agreement, it's usually a misinformed CSR.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.