Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Premier downgrade

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Premier downgrade

@CreditScholar wrote:

For example if you have Citigold, an annual spend over 100k, and you have sufficient flight-miles to match, you'll be getting 2.66x1.35 = 3.59% return on general spending. 2x categories will return 5.32x1.35 = 7.18%.

For spending, I think this tops the Platinum, even taking into consideration the value of MR points.  Spending on the Plat is just not very rewarding.  The only thing that would set the Platinum apart is the access to AA, US Air, and Delta lounges.

Aside from that, the Prestige seems to have matched everything the Plat offers.  The Prestige's 4th night free hotel credit seems like a nice perk, since it comes in the form of a statement credit, as opposed to having to rely on the Hotel for the perk, which is the greatest weakness of the FHR program.  Some hotels just don't want honor some of the "perks" when booking through FHR.

Message 21 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

For example if you have Citigold, an annual spend over 100k, and you have sufficient flight-miles to match, you'll be getting 2.66x1.35 = 3.59% return on general spending. 2x categories will return 5.32x1.35 = 7.18%.

For spending, I think this tops the Platinum, even taking into consideration the value of MR points.  Spending on the Plat is just not very rewarding.  The only thing that would set the Platinum apart is the access to AA, US Air, and Delta lounges.

Aside from that, the Prestige seems to have matched everything the Plat offers.  The Prestige's 4th night free hotel credit seems like a nice perk, since it comes in the form of a statement credit, as opposed to having to rely on the Hotel for the perk, which is the greatest weakness of the FHR program.  Some hotels just don't want honor some of the "perks" when booking through FHR.

Another take on these cards is this: Why see them as mutually exclusive? Instead of considering which one to have in favour of the other, why not both?

The Amex plat would give you the AA, US, DL lounge access plus SPG Gold and FHR, while all spending could go on the Prestige. Considering that both have $200 airline credits, you'd only be paying $450 AF for both (250+200).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 22 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Another take on these cards is this: Why see them as mutually exclusive? Instead of considering which one to have in favour of the other, why not both?

The Amex plat would give you the AA, US, DL lounge access plus SPG Gold and FHR, while all spending could go on the Prestige. Considering that both have $200 airline credits, you'd only be paying $450 AF for both (250+200).

Right, since one would never allocate spend to the Plat, unless it's for a large puchase which required the higher insurance amounts.  And, if one travelled enough to warrant the Prestige, then I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to burn through $400 credits per year.  Anyway, when travelling abroad, a person would need a Visa/MC to go along with any Amex.

Message 23 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

Ah I see. Thanks a lot these info been of great help. I was considering the thank you premier but I guess I will most likely get the prestige instead.

Does the free annual ticket have any cap as to how much can the ticket cost, or is it only for economy tickets? Or do they match tickets for all classes?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 24 of 32
enharu
Super Contributor

Oh just noticed this too. The premier used to have 12 months 0APR offer, if I remember correctly. Now its gone.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 25 of 32
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Ah I see. Thanks a lot these info been of great help. I was considering the thank you premier but I guess I will most likely get the prestige instead.

Does the free annual ticket have any cap as to how much can the ticket cost, or is it only for economy tickets? Or do they match tickets for all classes?

As far as I know, it's for economy only but can be used for international tickets. I'm not aware of any limits on price, but you're restricted to what they offer which can be odd flight times, stopovers, etc.

Also certain carriers don't participate, such as Southwest (not that they'd be a likely candidate for this feature anyways).

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 26 of 32
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I'm having a tough time deciding what to do with all the citi premier downgrades.  I don't think I fly enough to warrant the citi prestige, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of citi card options that are desirable.  The only benefits for me were the 15% discount and the companion flight.  The flight points were just a small bonus to me.  Do I PC to a TY Preferred just because its a no fee card?  2x on dining & entertainment with a de-valued TY point isn't much.  Citi Dividend?  What are other people planning on PCing to?

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 27 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I'm waiting to see if there is any change in the AF of the Premier.  In general, what to do depends on which other TY cards you have and your travel spending.

If you still have the Forward, or a 5x card (TYP or TY) you can generate a lot of TY points, and even at 1.25 redemption it might be worth keeping the Premier (if it is cheap enough or you have a lot of points).  For heavy fliers, the Prestige will justify its AF.

For me, the Premier will have to reduce its AF to "very little", otherwise I will simply cancel, and maybe consider the Prestige later on.  (I am also concerned what might happen to that card!)

Message 28 of 32
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Even if Citi reduces the AF by a lot, I'm not sure any fee is worth the 3x and 2x categories for a de-valued TY point.  I'm not sure if anyone else was surveyed, but a couple months ago i took a survey on the Citi Premier rewards structure.  If I were to take an educated guess, I think that the AF will be reduced to $49.  Citi through out a lot of scenarios in the survey and I think that this rumored new structure had a $50 fee attached to it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 29 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@rkinnahan wrote:

Even if Citi reduces the AF by a lot, I'm not sure any fee is worth the 3x and 2x categories for a de-valued TY point.  I'm not sure if anyone else was surveyed, but a couple months ago i took a survey on the Citi Premier rewards structure.  If I were to take an educated guess, I think that the AF will be reduced to $49.  Citi through out a lot of scenarios in the survey and I think that this rumored new structure had a $50 fee attached to it.

I agree, except in the case that you have a lot of flight points that cannot be redeemed before the AF is due, then the extra 25% per point might make up for the AF for that one year.   But it seems on FT most are just going to get out ASAP and not renew.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.