Did you mean: 

Citi Premier questions

tag
ltorres25
Regular Contributor

Citi Premier questions

Hi everyone, 

So, I have a few questions.

What are the best ways to use the bonus 50,000 points?

What are my chances of getting a CLI with Citi when I activate the card? I received a starting limit of $6,700 but I feel as though that does not reflect my credit. I have 3 cards (BofA, AMEX, CHASE) with $10,000 credit lines but was only given $6,700 by Citi?

Are they a very conservative bank?

| TU FICO: 747 | EQ FICO: 746 | EX FICO: 741 | Last HP: 5/20/15 |
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Premier questions

@ltorres25 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

What are my chances of getting a CLI with Citi when I activate the card? I received a starting limit of $6,700 but I feel as though that does not reflect my credit. I have 3 cards (BofA, AMEX, CHASE) with $10,000 credit lines but was only given $6,700 by Citi?

The most valuable way (as with most point systems) is to transfer to their partners.   If that doesn't work for you, next best is mortgage/student loan check, where 50K points will get you a $500 check payable to your lender.   And then gift cards.    Statement credit/pay with points rates are bad.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ltorres25 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I think they are fairly conservative with CL.  I have several cards in the 11k - 25k range and I only received $5.6k for the Premier and $5k for the Prestige.  I had to make 2 larger payments so far on both cards so that my usage is not over 50%.

IMO, best use is for flights.  Since I will use my points all rolled into the prestige, I can redeem for flights at 1.6x. Hoping the 100k+ points combined between my 2 cards will pay for a rountrip to France for 2 ppl.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ltorres25 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

The best way is the way that suits your needs. Don't feel like you have to travel just because it gives the best redemption if it's not in your routine already.

Message 4 of 8
ltorres25
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ltorres25 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I think they are fairly conservative with CL.  I have several cards in the 11k - 25k range and I only received $5.6k for the Premier and $5k for the Prestige.  I had to make 2 larger payments so far on both cards so that my usage is not over 50%.

IMO, best use is for flights.  Since I will use my points all rolled into the prestige, I can redeem for flights at 1.6x. Hoping the 100k+ points combined between my 2 cards will pay for a rountrip to France for 2 ppl.

Wow! That's awesome, let me know if you succeed with the France trip.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Message 5 of 8
ltorres25
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ltorres25 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

The best way is the way that suits your needs. Don't travel just because it gives the best redemption.

I agree with you, I could always just save the points and keep earning more for a future trip. I already went on vacation out of the country this year and have already booked another vacation in the States for the end of May. I'll just hold on to these points for a little while and see what happens. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

one of the best airlines partners that Citi has is Singapore Air IMO. 

If you live in LA or New York, you can try Singapore Air Suites. Haven't tried them myself, but heard it's a fanstastic experience. 

Message 7 of 8
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@ltl

transfer and travel redemption are best options.

THEN student loan/mortgage

points are worth 1.25cpp with the premier when redeemed for a travel purchase through the thankyou center, making it a better option than mortgage/student loans.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.