Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally love the card.  Yes the nerfing isnt the best of news but while I have used the golf credit that isnt a huge deal for me to lose.  The Admirals Club loss isnt great but I have access to them via my Executive Card so it doesn't affect  me.  You still have plenty of lounge choices via Priority Pass so you can usually find a lounge if you need one.  By far the biggest plus to this card is the 4th night free.  Yes, Amex offers some hotels for a similar benefit but those choices are limited to more high end hotels as opposed to the Prestige which provides the benefit to almost every hotel/motel/vacation resort that exists.  I'm using it for a limited capacity beach resort on an island off the coast of Australia and this is saving me quite a bit for the 4th night.  It was very simple to book the reservation and I look forward to using it again in the future.

I have had no problem with the travel credit and they have reimbursed me for my purchase of American Airline gift cards very quickly both in 2015 when I first got the card and then again early this year. Similarly my Global Entry purchase was credited within the same statement period as the charge.  

While there is a lot of competition in the high end travel card with the CSR, Platinum and Prestige card I think this card still has great value because of the 4th night free and the increasing number of airlines that Citi is iadding for point transfer.  As noted in another thread they just added JetBlue and I think we will see more in the future.  

I plan on keeping the card at least for another year and see what happens when I hit 24 months on the card in terms of a new bonus and I may very well apply for a 2nd one (at least temporarily).

Thank you Irish, this is very helpful information! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 64
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I also recently got the Prestige and I was also very curious about the travel credit. I will fly next week and will put it to the test and report back here. Also something odd with Citi, about a week after recieving my Prestige card, I got a second one in the mail which I found odd.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 12 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Discover2016 wrote:

I also recently got the Prestige and I was also very curious about the travel credit. I will fly next week and will put it to the test and report back here. Also something odd with Citi, about a week after recieving my Prestige card, I got a second one in the mail which I found odd.

Thnaks, Discover2016, and please let us know how it goes after your flight!

That is funny about the second Prestige card - maybe I should expect two of them in the mail this week?  ha ha Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 64
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Big fan of the prestige card myself.

While not exclusive to the prestige card, I did do this post a while back. I need to update it though. Might provide some info for ya.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Citi-ThankYou-Products-and-Rewar...
Message 14 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, everyone. I've had the card a little over a month now and have been using it daily as my primary card.

Here are several insights thus far that I hope will be helpful to someone:

Pros:

1) Citi is extremely quick to credit back the $250 annual airline credit to your statement. The credit appeared immediately once the statement cut.

2) Keep in mind that in order to be eligible for the $250 annual airline credit, a cardholder must book the flight directly with an airline. Expedia, Kayak, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, and any other secondary travel services are not eligible.

As an example, I have a $500 flight next year that is required to be booked through the hotel concierge as part of the stay. (It's on a remote island and cannot be booked any other way). I really would like to use the $250 airline credit toward this flight, but it will be ineligible since they do not allow you to book via the airline directly.

3) The $250 annual airline credit is automatic in their system when a flight is booked directly with an airline. Citi cannot override this automation even if you provide proof of purchasing a flight via another method (i.e., the example I mentioned above. I will have proof that I spent $500 toward an airline flight, but since it was not booked directly with the airline, Citi does not have the ability to override their automated system and credit me manually.)

Just one con at this point:

1) With Citi, no one in particular seems to be in the driver's seat in regards to Thank You Points. This can create a level of scrambling for the customer. An example: I charged a cruise and several other related charges to the card and had a question regarding whether components of these charges specifically were credited to TY Points at 3x, 2x, or 1x. (I figured it was most likely 1x but wanted to confirm several specific charges).

Since Thank You Points are not detailed to that level online within my account, I asked about this in chat. After the chat person spent 15 minutes giving me general information about the Thank You Program and not answering my specific questions, I was referred to a separate website for Thank You Points and told I needed to log into chat there and ask my question.

I encountered the same situation on the Thank You website - the rep in chat spent 15 minutes talking about the program in general, saying they couldn't see my Citi Prestige account to answer specific questions, and that I should go back to chat within my Citi account to ask those questions! Yipe. Confusing and circular of them to send me back to the first person. I'd already spent 30 minutes between the two and could not get a single person to break down the crediting of specific Citi points relative to specific charges for me.

At this point, I haven't had the time to call in and not sure if they even know the answer if I called in. I really don't want to go through general descriptions about the program again and just want to talk with someone who can both see my account and break down points crediting for specific charges.

It is unusual that Citi would send you to chat on a separate Thank You Points website when those reps cannot see specifics about your Citi card account. 

Citi needs to integrate both operations to best serve customers.

I'm enjoying the card very much thus far and it has become my daily driver. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Continuing to enjoy the Citi Prestige and its benefits. Two questions/ pieces of information I'd like to ask here to provide ongoing intel for others, hopefully:

Citi Prestige cardholders, please respond:

1) Please post your data and info if you were able to receive a CLI on Prestige prior to the 6 month mark. I recall one or two posts in whcih members were successful in doing so, but would like to add data points here. The SP link seems to almost always be showing up in all 3 of my Citi accounts, so at least in my situation, that in and of itself is not an indicator.

2) Has anyone been successful in lowering the Prestige APR below their standard offering of 15.74%? I've been able to get my other Citi cards as low as 13% APR (permanent redux) and 4% promo APR, as examples, but no luck in reducing Prestige APR. Success stories from Prestige cardholders re/ this much appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

Message 16 of 64
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Continuing to enjoy the Citi Prestige and its benefits. Two questions/ pieces of information I'd like to ask here to provide ongoing intel for others, hopefully:

Citi Prestige cardholders, please respond:

1) Please post your data and info if you were able to receive a CLI on Prestige prior to the 6 month mark. I recall one or two posts in whcih members were successful in doing so, but would like to add data points here. The SP link seems to almost always be showing up in all 3 of my Citi accounts, so at least in my situation, that in and of itself is not an indicator.

2) Has anyone been successful in lowering the Prestige APR below their standard offering of 15.74%? I've been able to get my other Citi cards as low as 13% APR (permanent redux) and 5% promo APR, as examples, but no luck in reducing Prestige APR. Success stories from Prestige cardholders re/ this much appreciated.

Thanks, everyone!

You can ask for a CLI before but it will more than likely be a HP.  I waited six months for the SP option, cli of 8k to 25k

As for APR never asked and don't really care PIF, I do have a 1.99% offer ending in June 2017.

The card is only used for 4th night free and for my admirals access though, nerfed benefits and 1.60x nerf for AA pretty much ended my use for the card.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 17 of 64
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

All of the benefits are intact until July 2017 so nothing is nerfed yet and plenty of time to benefit til then. 

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 18 of 64
pip3man
Valued Contributor

My APR on the Prestige currently sits at 13.49%. I was only successful in getting them to lower it once!

Message 19 of 64
NYFan63
Established Contributor

This is all helpful info. Thanks for sharing and thanks to humu for starting the thread. I was debating apping for the Prestige or the CSR or CSP. This has been helpful in my decision making...
Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.