Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige Guide

tag
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige Guide

@Anonymous wrote:
@Ysettle4 wrote:

I'm willing to bank that Citi will have some decent rentention offers for thoes looking to jump ship, enlight of this and especially since the arrival of the CSR. My experience is when the I received the notice of benefits coming to an end or being reduced, I called to cancel the card. I was presented with:

5,000 TYP immediately
4x points on hotel and travel up to $12,000
additional 4,000 TYP on $10,000 spend within 6 months.

Wasn't much to think about afterwards.

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Good information, Ysettle, thank you!

I got some more information to add.   I called to cancel my card and they offered me 7 points per dollar spent on airlines hotels and car rentals for the next 6 months with a cap 35,000 thank you award points.   With no additional thank you points because I've only had my card seven months but he said definitely call back at the one-year mark. 

Message 41 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent information, Saleen, thank you!
Message 42 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

schalliol wrote:

Has anyone been able to get a waived annual fee or dramatically reduced fee to stay?

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Since the card offers significant benefits worth a bit of $,I've not heard of the AF being reduced as an incentive to stay. YSettle and Saleen certainly received some very nice incentives, however! Smiley Happy
Message 43 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really felt a huge bait and switch.  I got the card in May and in the summer they dramatically slashed the benefits but kept the AF the same.  It's just crazy.   It's like you leased a car and they say after a year that if you keep the car they're going to rip out power windows and seat heaters.  Sure, you can turn it in, but WHAT?!

Message 44 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I really felt a huge bait and switch.  I got the card in May and in the summer they dramatically slashed the benefits but kept the AF the same.  It's just crazy.   It's like you leased a car and they say after a year that if you keep the car they're going to rip out power windows and seat heaters.  Sure, you can turn it in, but WHAT?!

The card still has a lot of value even with the nerfed benefits.  You got the card in May and the benefits dont change for over a year past that time.  If the benefits that will remain are not worth an an effective $200 AF then cancel then cancel the card after the first year.  Credit card companies constantly change benefits and it is something that we have to live with.  I think the card will still be great and if you travel and have hotel stays it can be very valuable.  They gave plenty of advance notice of the changes which is far better than what a lot of CC companies do.  Certainly not bait and switch in your case.

Message 45 of 64
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely unpleasant...but standard practice on most cards. It reinforces the importance of getting a big bonus up front.

I don't think I'm going to bother playing retention games. I'll just PC to a Costco Visa before the next AF. I've wanted a Citi Visa for a while, and though I could app for a Hilton card, it's a low priority compared to the cards I can get once I'm again 5/24-friendly.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 46 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The card still has a lot of value even with the nerfed benefits.  You got the card in May and the benefits dont change for over a year past that time.  If the benefits that will remain are not worth an an effective $200 AF then cancel then cancel the card after the first year.  

Credit card companies constantly change benfits and it is something that we have to live with that fact.  I think the card will still be great and if you travel and have hotel stays it can be very valuable.  They gave plenty of advance notice of the changes which is far better than what a lot of CC companies do.  Certainly not bait and switch in your case.

Agree that the card has a lot of value and good benefits. I'm personally enjoying it very much - already received $250 in flight credits when the card was a month old, and getting ready for my 2nd $250 flight reimbursement in January. Used two Admirals Club Lounges in the first month, and will be using a lot of Priority Pass Lounges during a 16 day trip in February.

That's $500 plus in flight reimbursement benefits in the first few months of card ownership, before I even use one free hotel night. 

Can't really put an exact value on the Priority Pass access, but it's pretty significant since some of the ones I am going to have some really amazing food and some nice champagne.

Very pleased with the card and I've only had it since October.

Good point also that credit card companies change benefits regularly, and that is not unique to Prestige. This one still has a lot of valuable benefits.

Message 47 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does PC mean?  Is that a conversion that keeps the credit line intact?  If I can, I'd like to keep Thank You points in a card without AF, but if I could convert to a CostCo Visa, that wouldn't be bad.  I'm not aware of anywhere that only takes MC and not Visa, but I liked the idea of having one MC.

Message 48 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What does PC mean?  Is that a conversion that keeps the credit line intact?  If I can, I'd like to keep Thank You points in a card without AF, but if I could convert to a CostCo Visa, that wouldn't be bad.  I'm not aware of anywhere that only takes MC and not Visa, but I liked the idea of having one MC.

PC means product change.  You transfer your credit limit to another card.  Every CC company has different rules about what is and isnt allowed so your best bet if that's the route you want to take is to call Citi and find out which cards you can convert the Prestige to.

Message 49 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Anyone know if you can PC into Costco?

Message 50 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.