Citi Prestige and Citi Gold

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige and Citi Gold

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

For those of you who opened a Citi Gold account for the 40k TYP bonus, did your points post already? Mine did today! I opened the account back in May. 

I just found out from citibank that they are claiming my citigold account was not enrolled and they are denying me the 40k TY points. This is after I went into the branch to open the account and made sure they understood that if I am not going to get the award then I do not want to open a citigold account (I was as blunt as possible on this point and they even called to confirm the promo noted on my account). Needless to say I will be visiting the bank branch tomorrow and if I don't get the points I am terminating my account immediately. 

Mine hasn't posted either and I was told to call the promotions dept. to get the exact date when the promotion rewards would apply. Maybe they can help? Although I still think jsu has good advice, too. 1-800-321-2484

I called Citi Gold and they took care of it. Mine also didn't post automatically. 

Message 21 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@heyarrnold wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

For those of you who opened a Citi Gold account for the 40k TYP bonus, did your points post already? Mine did today! I opened the account back in May. 

I just found out from citibank that they are claiming my citigold account was not enrolled and they are denying me the 40k TY points. This is after I went into the branch to open the account and made sure they understood that if I am not going to get the award then I do not want to open a citigold account (I was as blunt as possible on this point and they even called to confirm the promo noted on my account). Needless to say I will be visiting the bank branch tomorrow and if I don't get the points I am terminating my account immediately. 

Mine hasn't posted either and I was told to call the promotions dept. to get the exact date when the promotion rewards would apply. Maybe they can help? Although I still think jsu has good advice, too. 1-800-321-2484

I called Citi Gold and they took care of it. Mine also didn't post automatically. 

heyarnold, when you opened yours back in may, did you do it via phone or submit online with the promo code?

Btw, glad they got it all taken care of for you.

Message 22 of 38
red259
Super Contributor

Just an update. After going in to the branch they submitted yet another research request and I finally receieved a letter today that I should have my points within 30 days. At that point the question becomes what to do with my account. People have had experience with reducing the checking account to a basic level but still keeping the lower prestige AF? What are the balance requirements on the lower level accounts to avoid monthly fees? Citigold is nice, but I don't have 100k+ to just keep sitting in the account at all times so keeping citigold beyond the points posting is just not an option. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still haven't received mine but just got off the phone and they said the points will post between December 1-4 on my account.  If not, I'll be calling back. About to open an account for my g/f.  Just have to decide between the AA miles or TY points.

Message 24 of 38
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Still haven't received mine but just got off the phone and they said the points will post between December 1-4 on my account.  If not, I'll be calling back. About to open an account for my g/f.  Just have to decide between the AA miles or TY points.

Be sure to double check the math because there have been some AA devals recently and I am sure more are on the way. AA miles are still valuable, but the gap in value has closed a bit between TY points and AA miles and you have to factor in things like which travel partner you may want to redeem with or if you want to combine points from multiple cards for a redemption. 

;
Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Be sure to double check the math because there have been some AA devals recently and I am sure more are on the way. AA miles are still valuable, but the gap in value has closed a bit between TY points and AA miles and you have to factor in things like which travel partner you may want to redeem with or if you want to combine points from multiple cards for a redemption. 

I'm leaning towards the TY points for the reason you listed plus there is no cost to transfer her TY points to my account which is a huge benefit because it's so much easier to make travel arrangements out of one account.  I'm going to have her fund the account with $20K from her Prestige card so this will be a nice addition of 120K TY points when all is done.

Message 26 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Taxable points (like those gained from a banking relationship (citi gold account bonus) CANNOT be shared between thankyou accounts, NOR can they be transferred to airline partners.
Message 27 of 38
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Taxable points (like those gained from a banking relationship (citi gold account bonus) CANNOT be shared between thankyou accounts, NOR can they be transferred to airline partners.

I can't believe I totally blanked on this, even though I knew it. My gameplan is to use my TY points (from the bank account) to buy a flight to LAX from NYC. With the prestige card I will get 1.6 cents per point against the AA fare and I will earn AA miles at the same time. Then I want to go LAX to Japan first class on signapore with my credit card TY points/amex MRs. I guess given this information the question would be will the poster be able to redeem a flight with the AA miles (meaning will they have enough AA miles or miles from another source to top off the account for a redemption) or will the TY points be a better value in that there are no blackout dates for AA flights and if flying on a cheaper route it will take less points than the corresponding AA mile redemption. 

;
Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

You're always bringing bad news Smiley Wink

What's strange about that is if you opt for the 50 K AA points instead of the TY points, there's nothing Citi can do to prevent those from being transferred and those are gained via the banking relationship just the same.

Message 29 of 38
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Those are AA miles though. They're already part of the aa program.

Thank you points from banking relationships can't be transferred but can be redeemed at enhanced value for travel.
Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.