Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige - benefits NERFED in 2017

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige benefit changes in 2017

@Mattopotamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Executives: "So we have this prestigious card with a $450 annual fee, which competes with other top of the line cards, such as AMEX Platinum and Skymiles Reserve, but we need to make the card less valuable to our cardholders."

Executive 1: "We should get rid of the 1.6c/point redemption value for AA flights, get rid of MasterCard Golf, get rid of paying taxes for our cardholders on their fourth night hotel stay while also averaging it out based on the first three nights, get rid of the admiral club access, and lower the signup bonus by 10,000 TY points."

Citi Executives: "Yes lets do it!!"

I really think Citi needs to wipe out all of their cards and start all over again. Two cards with a $450 annual fee, neither which provide any spectacular benefits compared to the AMEX cards... Citi's level of prestige isn't AMEX's level of prestige, even though Citi tries way too hard to pretend their up to that level.

Also, why does Citi on their own, take away the benefits of having a World Elite or World MasterCard? Bring back NPSL, bring back MasterCard Golf, get rid of "Citi MasterPass" and call it it's real name, and for God's sakes, find some reps who actually have a clue about the products when they chat or call in to talk to a rep.

Like you, I have the DC so I am shocked to here you say they need to wipe out all cards.  It is easily the best card I have.  Rewards post with each statement and I make over $50 a month from it.

I agree. The Double Cash is a good card. It just makes me worry a little that it'll be the next card to lose some of its value... Citi has said they don't make any money off of the DC card, so they could reduce the value to .75% back when you buy, and .75% back when you pay or something like that just to save a penny. All in all I like the Double Cash.

Message 11 of 47
wachme
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

And it;s not as if the Amex Plat hasn't had it's share of nerfs, losing lounge access for some main carriers (including AA) over the last few years.

Agreed but that was beyond AMEX's control. Airline credit card exclusivity deals caused that. (Amex did attempt to make up for it with Centurion lounges ,which is still expanding)

In this particular case, most of the nerfs were self-imposed. The AA nerfs could have been caused by the recent Barclay/Citi negotiations so that's understandable. Golf and 4th night nerf, lower bonus and higher bonus spend were all Citi's doing. That's ALOT of downgrades all at once and who knows if they'll stop there.

Either way, I still can find value in this card so I won't even attempt to trash it. This card was far and away a no brainer before and miles ahead of the Plat. That gap has closed significantly and if you don't use the 4th night benefit, then the Plat might be the better card for some.

Message 12 of 47
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Citi Executives: "So we have this prestigious card with a $450 annual fee, which competes with other top of the line cards, such as AMEX Platinum and Skymiles Reserve, but we need to make the card less valuable to our cardholders."

Executive 1: "We should get rid of the 1.6c/point redemption value for AA flights, get rid of MasterCard Golf, get rid of paying taxes for our cardholders on their fourth night hotel stay while also averaging it out based on the first three nights, get rid of the admiral club access, and lower the signup bonus by 10,000 TY points."

Citi Executives: "Yes lets do it!!"

I really think Citi needs to wipe out all of their cards and start all over again. Two cards with a $450 annual fee, neither which provide any spectacular benefits compared to the AMEX cards... Citi's level of prestige isn't AMEX's level of prestige, even though Citi tries way too hard to pretend their up to that level.

Also, why does Citi on their own, take away the benefits of having a World Elite or World MasterCard? Bring back NPSL, bring back MasterCard Golf, get rid of "Citi MasterPass" and call it it's real name, and for God's sakes, find some reps who actually have a clue about the products when they chat or call in to talk to a rep.

I'm curious do you have either the Prestige or the Amex Platinum.  You sure do seem to have a lot of negative opinions about the Prestige and think the Platinum is superior.  I do have both cards and I think the Prestige is superior even with the reduction in benefits.

The Prestige AF effectively, because of the $250 airline credit, is either $200 or $100 for those that have an AF of $350.  

Citi was faced with continuing a card that was providing unsustainable benefits and they had a choice to either leave the benefits such as the airline point redemption, Admiral lounge access and golf benefits as it or eliminate or seriously reduce the hotel program.   Most people that have this card if you read travel sites highly value the 4th night free and will continue to keep this card despite the reductions in benefits.  This benefit alone can save traveler thousands of dollars in a year.  There is no other travel card, including the American Express Platinum, that comes anywhere close to providing a benefit that can save you this kind of money.  If you read travel sites you will find that most peoples assessment of Amex's 'prestige' is no where near how you describe.  In fact there are a lot of people who find that Amex's level of service has significatly dropped and complain about the lack of benefits for the Platinum card.  

If you stack up the benefits of the Platinum vs the nerfed Prestige card the Prestige is as good if not superior.  Both give you Priority Pass lounge access but the Prestige one is better because it allows free guest access.  While the Amex gives you access to Centurion Lounges which is great and why I have the card, they are very few in numbers and not accessible to many people.  The Platinum gives you a $200 airline credit which isnt supposed to be for actual airline bookings (though there are ways around this for now), the Prestige gives you $250 credit without any such limitation.

Yes the Platinum card gives you some benefits that people find beneficial like upgraded Starwood and others but none of them come close to having the ability to save you the money of the hotel program for the Prestige.

No one is happy with the reduction in benefits but let's not go overboard in bemoaning the card and its benefits.  Even with the changes this card is still one of the, if not the best travel cards available. The Platinum is not this vastly superior card.

+1. In my case the Platinum card is more valuable for me. However, one card works for some people, the other card works for others.

- For now I use the airline credit for Delta gift cards.

- The Centurion lounge works for me since my two main connecting airports are IAH and DFW (both with Centurion lounges).

- I don't need the 4th night benefit since I travel often for work and usually have 5+ days in points with Hilton and I get the 5th night for free by booking with points.

- I have to rent a car every time I travel and the Platinum gives me Executive status with National.

- I like the Gold status with SPG because I stay with them when traveling for work if I can't book a Hilton hotel. Delta crossover points are nice.

Message 13 of 47
Cory
Established Contributor

I would have to agree with some that the Citi Prestige card is still a "mile" better than most of the travel cards out there. The only benefits that are being eliminated are Admirals Club Access, and 3 rounds of golf.

The Citi Prestige Card will still offer:

1.) Global Entry Credit ($100.00)

2.) $250.00 Airline Fee Reimbursement

3.) Priority Pass Lounge

4.) 4th Night Free Hotel Benefit.

(AND!)

1.) 3 Thank You Points per $1 spent on Travel.

2.) 2 Thank You Points per $1 spent on Dining out and Entertainment.

3.) 1 Thank You Points per $1 spent on all other purchases.

I haven't seen any other card, Points, Miles or Cashback offering all those benefits wrapped in one card!

What is there to be mad about now? How can Citi substain all those generous benefits, when most of the cardholders "relentlessly" and "systematically" call "retentions" and demand a fee waiver? I think Citi was correct with taking "evasive" action and said, "heck", we may as well cut our loses right now.

Message 14 of 47
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

The rewards seemed pretty medicore to begin with.  After me and my wife each got the $500 signup bonus we cancelled both.  

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 15 of 47
redpat
Senior Contributor

Amex plat is better in 2017.  It's the only card that has access to an airline lounge, Delta plus centurion lounges and offers gold status from two hotel chains.  Also, with FHR you get great perks with just a one night stay.  Points for usage really doesn't matter I rarely swipe it.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have to agree with some that the Citi Prestige card is still a "mile" better than most of the travel cards out there. The only benefits that are being eliminated are Admirals Club Access, and 3 rounds of golf.

I guess you missed the parts where Citi was reducing the AA redemption value, and the free night now being averaged without tax redemption.

Message 17 of 47
Cory
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess you missed the parts where Citi was reducing the AA redemption value, and the free night now being averaged without tax redemption.

No, I didn't miss anything. I read the same materials and rumors here and on other blogs which you've read. Reducing the AA rate from 1.6 to 1.25, to some is "earth shattering" and to other's it's a "I'll live, and not die" decision.

Though 1.25 is still better than 0.00, taking into consideration the bonus categories. The card performs well even if you don't "swipe" it in the bonus categories. You'll just get used to a lower redemption rate, just as you got use to being "entitled" to a higher rate. At the end of the day, or century for some people, Citi will not go out of business, and you will get over it. Having taxes paid as a benefit of the 4th night free is great, but depending on what hotel you actually book/stay is minimum. Taxes will vary, and additionally, taxes are not Citi's liability, taxes are the liability of the consumer. Again, you still get the 4th night free. Name another travel points card which gives you a 4th night free period?

Message 18 of 47
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Cory wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, I didn't miss anything. I read the same materials and rumors here and on other blogs which you've read. Reducing the AA rate from 1.6 to 1.25, to some is "earth shattering" and to other's it's a "I'll live, and not die" decision.

Though 1.25 is still better than 0.00, taking into consideration the bonus categories. The card performs well even if you don't "swipe" it in the bonus categories. You'll just get used to a lower redemption rate, just as you got use to being "entitled" to a higher rate. At the end of the day, or century for some people, Citi will not go out of business, and you will get over it. Having taxes paid as a benefit of the 4th night free is great, but depending on what hotel you actually book/stay is minimum. Taxes will vary, and additionally, taxes are not Citi's liability, taxes are the liability of the consumer. Again, you still get the 4th night free. Name another travel points card which gives you a 4th night free period?

Amex plat FHR offers third or fourth nights free at times.  Also, plat offers Hilton gold status so 5th night is free

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 47
Cory
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Cory wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex plat FHR offers third or fourth nights free at times.  Also, plat offers Hilton gold status so 5th night is free

Right, but that benefit (5th night) is limited to Hilton, whereas Citi's benefit extends to any hotel and unlimited stays unlike the "sometimes" which AMEX Platinum offers. If you like AMEX Platinum better, than stick with what works for you. It is not mandatory that anyone hold on to the Citi Prestige card, if you have it. Citi Prestige still out performs AMEX Platinum in it's current, and latter state for a lot of people. "Live and let live"

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.