Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige - benefits NERFED in 2017

tag
medo
Frequent Contributor

Citi Prestige change of benefits

Did anyone else get the email?

Thoughts?

As a valued cardmember, we want to inform you of changes to your Citi Prestige card. As of July 23, 2017 , some of your existing benefits will no longer be offered or will be changed.

Lounge Access

Access to American Airlines Admirals Club® lounges will no longer be offered with your Citi Prestige® Card.

You will continue to have complimentary access to Priority Pass TM Select Lounges and Citi® Proprietary Lounges. You, your authorized users, immediate family or up to two guests will continue to enjoy access to over 850 airport lounges worldwide.

Redeeming ThankYou® Points for Flights

You will only receive 25% greater value versus gift cards on all airfare redemptions with your ThankYou® points. For example, 50,000 ThankYou points will now be redeemable for $625 in airfare on all airlines available at thankyou.com.

Complimentary International Golf

The three complimentary rounds of golf will no longer be offered with your card for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. You'll continue to have access to over 2,000 celebrated and legendary golf properties around the world with access to select TPC properties provided by MasterCard.

Complimentary 4th Night *

The Complimentary 4th Night benefit will be calculated based on the average nightly rate of your complete stay for reservations made on or after July 23, 2017. Please see the reverse side of this letter for examples of how the benefit will be calculated. Taxes will no longer be included within the statement credit. You will still be able to enjoy your benefit at any hotel with no restrictions on the number of times you can use this benefit. All other terms of the Complimentary 4th Night benefit will remain unchanged.
Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige change of benefits

I just got it too, I feel if the rumoured chase card is anywhere close to this with a 4th night free or similar I might just use all my citi pts & get rid of the card before AF hits in April otherwise whatever, I rely more on the $250 airline rebate & 4th night rebate more than lounges anyway :l

Message 42 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's already been discussions here about this. 

Of course you'll always get those... shall I say it nicely, "those people" who will defend a corporation. 

For everyone else, people are pretty irritated with what Citi is doing. 

Message 43 of 47
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

I agree, the citi cuts on the prestige are absurd. Now what is this rumored chase card someone above just spoke about?
Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prestige Changes

I've been reading that the changes where coming and got my email from Citi last night.  You all probably already knew, but I didn't realize they where taking away Admirals Club access.  Also, the complimentary golf will be gone after July 2017 (not that I really took advantage of that one) and the 4th night free for hotels will be calculated based on the average cost of all your nights stay.  Everything else seems to be staying the same at least for now.  

Message 45 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There's already been discussions here about this. 

Of course you'll always get those... shall I say it nicely, "those people" who will defend a corporation. 

For everyone else, people are pretty irritated with what Citi is doing. 

I think that is quite a large mischaracterization!   It's given that any nerfing is bad/evil/disappointing.    But, once the nerf happens, you can't get the old card any more, so you have to evaluate the new one against the competition.    In this case, perhaps for quite a lot of people, the removed features make say the Amex Plat a better match and people will switch.   But for those who make a lot of use of 4th night, and/or the transfer partners, the card may still appear to be the best.

In another thread you defend the CSP:

"

Primary renter's and trip cancellation insurance with no FTF is more than enough to cover a measly $7 a month annual fee. "

(Which is the case only if you rent cars aand would otherwise buy trip cancellation and primary insurance).    

About two years ago, the CSP was nerfed.   They removed the 7% annual bonus (on points earned) and kept the fee the same.   There was quite a lot of noise here about how that had totally ruined the card.    But it's still a goal card for a lot of people, because the remaining structure is still good (and it's metal, sort of).

I am not defending Chase or Citi, just saying post-nerfing you need to re-evaluate, and the nerfed card may still be the best for you.

Message 46 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Prestige - benefits NERFED in 2017

With the sapphire reserve coming out, I wouldn't count on the sapphire preferred primary rental insurance to stick around long.

The post devaluation prestige is still competitive with the AmEx platinum.

4th night free is more flexible than fhr
1.25 redemption is still better than whatever amex pays for trip flex.
Citi still has category bonuses, the US amex platinum is still 1 US Mr Point per USD (Canadian platinum is 1.25 Mr points per CAD, which is basically 1.65 Canadian Mr points per USD)
Citi priority pass allows guests versus platinum's cardholder only
Citi's airline fee credit is larger than the AmEx platinum

AmEx platinum has centurion lounges (which are crazy full these days), Hilton and SPG status and arguably better transfer partners (although Krisflyer is on both), but do those outweigh the benefits that the prestige is better? I'd probably say no...
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.