cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Prestige lower AF after having card for a while?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Prestige lower AF after having card for a while?

I got my Citi Prestige in May. Is there any way to get a $350 AF locked in instead of the $450? Will going in branch do anything, or is my only option probably becoming Citigold, if that? If I do get Citigold, will it lock the $350 AF for life, or only while I'm a citigold client?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Prestige lower AF after having card for a while?

If you applied for the card in branch, if the offer is still around, the annual fee is $350. 

Otherwise, you will have to apply to Citigold. It will only be  $350 while you remain Citigold. Some users have reported still receving "Citigold" benefits after downgrading or closing the checkings account. But YMMV.

Message 2 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

If you applied for the card in branch, if the offer is still around, the annual fee is $350. 

Otherwise, you will have to apply to Citigold. It will only be  $350 while you remain Citigold. Some users have reported still receving "Citigold" benefits after downgrading or closing the checkings account. But YMMV.

That would be great if that is the case. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

Hmmm.  I think jsucool76 mentioned something about this a while back. 

Message 4 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

At $350 I'd probably keep it. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@red259 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

At $350 I'd probably keep it. 

I'm definitely keeping mine but have entertained the idea of CitiGold to compliment with additional miles (I have to check if the offer is still around).  Makes $350 more attractive indeed Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm okay. But probably no luck without Citigold for me since I already have the card? And it's been over 90 days...

Message 7 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

If you don't want to do Citigold I know of no other way that you'll see a lower fee.

Message 8 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmm okay. But probably no luck without Citigold for me since I already have the card? And it's been over 90 days...

Open citigold and then call up and ask for a $100 statement credit for it. It might even come automatically. 

Also be aware that a lot of us who opened citigold got a new priority pass card, with a new number, so the old one stopped working. 

You can go here and use offer code 4YQY4RMDTT for 40k thankyou points when you open a citigold checking acount and make one qualifying bill payment during each of the first two CALENDAR months. (paying your own citi card bills don't count). Monthly fee is waived for the first 2 months, then $30 a month unless you put in $50k. Should take at most 90 days from completing your 2nd bill pay, so you're looking at a max of $90 it could cost you for 40k points. 

Be aware, these points are not able to be transferred to FF or hotel programs, as they are "taxable" points, but can be used at enhanced values with the prestige card. 

You can also cancel the checking account immediately after receiving the points, and your benefits should continue from all anecdotal evidence I've read (though I can't guarantee this) 

Message 9 of 12
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Open citigold and then call up and ask for a $100 statement credit for it. It might even come automatically. 

Also be aware that a lot of us who opened citigold got a new priority pass card, with a new number, so the old one stopped working. 

You can go here and use offer code 4YQY4RMDTT for 40k thankyou points when you open a citigold checking acount and make one qualifying bill payment during each of the first two CALENDAR months. (paying your own citi card bills don't count). Monthly fee is waived for the first 2 months, then $30 a month unless you put in $50k. Should take at most 90 days from completing your 2nd bill pay, so you're looking at a max of $90 it could cost you for 40k points. 

Be aware, these points are not able to be transferred to FF or hotel programs, as they are "taxable" points, but can be used at enhanced values with the prestige card. 

You can also cancel the checking account immediately after receiving the points, and your benefits should continue from all anecdotal evidence I've read (though I can't guarantee this) 

Are you a current Citigold customer or did you close your account? If so, how long have you had it or how long ago did you close it? Do you know if you have to go in branch to close it?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.