tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi PriceRewind Changes!

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Or just use the Pay With Points feature of Amazon.com, and you should be getting 1 point = 1 cent value on your Amazon purchases. Or am I missing something?

Redemption ratio of TY points on Amazon is 1 to 0.85.

So 100 TY points is 85 cents. Amazon is the "wrong" way to redeem TY points.

Is that mentioned on Amazon, or is it only known once you sign up using a Citi card?

they don't tell you crap but I had 405 Points which would equal to around $3.70 so it sounds about right 

Right.  And it's this sort of thing that makes me not recommend the Thank You Preferred.  Yes, it has some 2x options now (it used not to) but unless you redeem via student loan/mortgage, these are less than 2%, and less than 1% on non-category.  You can also redeem 1:1 for gift cards, but since it is easy to buy gift cards at a discount (using e.g. giftcardgranny) I count that as less than 1:1 too.

The higher level cards are different, with some advantages in return for an AF.

Message 11 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Or just use the Pay With Points feature of Amazon.com, and you should be getting 1 point = 1 cent value on your Amazon purchases. Or am I missing something?

Is that mentioned on Amazon, or is it only known once you sign up using a Citi card?

they don't tell you crap but I had 405 Points which would equal to around $3.70 so it sounds about right 

Right.  And it's this sort of thing that makes me not recommend the Thank You Preferred.  Yes, it has some 2x options now (it used not to) but unless you redeem via student loan/mortgage, these are less than 2%, and less than 1% on non-category.  You can also redeem 1:1 for gift cards, but since it is easy to buy gift cards at a discount (using e.g. giftcardgranny) I count that as less than 1:1 too.

Eh I like it for what it is and just rack in points and get gift cards. I am just glad to have a Citi card. My main spending cards will be the CSP and Marriott premier  cards 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 12 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Eh I like it for what it is and just rack in points and get gift cards. I am just glad to have a Citi card. My main spending cards will be the CSP and Marriott premier  cards 

Well, that's great, but think of it as advice for others.   The card simply isn't great value for money when compared to the alternatives, and that is the sort of info that these forums are for!

Message 13 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, that's great, but think of it as advice for others.   The card simply isn't great value for money when compared to the alternatives, and that is the sort of info that these forums are for!

Oh I still don't think it is a "bad" card even for CB ... Just dump purchases on that and forget about it till you get the amount of points you desire.  My mother has like 10,000 points doing that on her TYP card and hasn't redeemed them for a while 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 14 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Oh I still don't think it is a "bad" card even for CB ... Just dump purchases on that and forget about it till you get the amount of points you desire.  My mother has like 10,000 points doing that on her TYP card and hasn't redeemed them for a while 

Right but do that on Fidelity Amex you would do much better.  And depending on your spend pattern, the QuickSilver might do better as well.   You have to take the earning and redemption sides.  Neither is stellar, and the redemption side is bad!

Message 15 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Right but do that on Fidelity Amex you would do much better.  And depending on your spend pattern, the QuickSilver might do better as well.   You have to take the earning and redemption sides.  Neither is stellar, and the redemption side is bad!

If only Capital one decides to ever give me a CL over $3k then I might use it seriously lol.... $500 limit on a card Eh I rather show love to citi who gave me $4,000 inital and already inreased it to $6,000

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.