Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Product Change

tag
asanch12
Contributor

Citi Product Change

So I called to ask about doing a product change and the rep said that "transfers" are no longer available with the new credit laws.  hmmm..I don't remember reading that part.  Is this correct?

I called the number on the back of my card and not a back door #.

Thanks!

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 688
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Product Change

Probably cant change you because of the fact , that any change that may be of a negative impact isn't allowed , even at card members request. Changing your account may involve a new higher fee structure or even higher APR all things that the new laws prevent from happening

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check whether you have a BT offer

Citi kept telling me for a while that they couldn't change my product (from the old Drivers Edge to Citi Forward).  Eventually a representative told me that it was because I had 0% balance transfer offers available on my account.  (Generally they seem to give me a new 0% BT offer every month so at any given time there's always a BT offer available.)  Last month I asked a phone representative to opt me out of BT offers, and a few weeks later, I saw online that the BT offers had disappeared.  Then I called back and asked for a product change and it went through.

You can see if you have BT offers at citicards.com, Tools & Services > Request a Balance Transfer.  If you see any kind of promotion there for any rate lower than your normal purchase rate, that's probably what's causing the problem.  Just opt out of BT offers and you should be able to do a product change within a few weeks.  After the product change, you can ask the phone representative to opt you back into BT offers if you want those.  It will take another month or so to see BT offers again.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Check whether you have a BT offer

icon,  how you like your new card ... Forward?   It sounds nice ...   What is 1,000 pts  worth for ... $10?  or less?  or more?   Does the pts have expiration date?

Citi ForwardSM

Citi Forward

Annual Fee: No Annual Fee

Citi Forward APR reduction on purchases when using credit wisely

5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, record stores, movie theatres and video rental stores, up to 75,000 points per year    = $15K/yr ... this is prenty ...

1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

Redeeming Your Points

You can redeem your ThankYou® Points for gift cards, music and electronics, but also for student loan rebates, statement credits and charitable donations. With rewards starting at just 1,000 points, you’ll be rewarding yourself in no time. If you can't find the right reward, let us know and we'll come up with a unique one just for you. It's called Your Wish Fulfilled and if you can dream it, we will try to make it happen

Message 4 of 13
tray
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

icon,  how you like your new card ... Forward?   It sounds nice ...   What is 1,000 pts  worth for ... $10?  or less?  or more?   Does the pts have expiration date?

Citi ForwardSM

Citi Forward

Annual Fee: No Annual Fee

Citi Forward APR reduction on purchases when using credit wisely

5 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases at restaurants (including fast food), bookstores, record stores, movie theatres and video rental stores, up to 75,000 points per year    = $15K/yr ... this is prenty ...

1 ThankYou Point for every $1 spent on all other purchases

Redeeming Your Points

You can redeem your ThankYou® Points for gift cards, music and electronics, but also for student loan rebates, statement credits and charitable donations. With rewards starting at just 1,000 points, you’ll be rewarding yourself in no time. If you can't find the right reward, let us know and we'll come up with a unique one just for you. It's called Your Wish Fulfilled and if you can dream it, we will try to make it happen

This is similiar to the extracash program on the citi platinum select card

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Citi Forward, points do expire five years after they are earned, and many of the redemption options are diluted so 100 points are often worth a lot less than $1 if you redeem for cash back.  The best redemption option is booking a flight, hotel, or car reservation through ThankYou.com (which partners with Expedia.com); in that case, every 100 points will buy you a full $1 of travel value.  There are also some gift cards where 10,000 points will get you a $100 gift card.  If you have a mortgage or student loan with any bank (not just CitiBank), you can redeem at a ratio of 100 points buying about $0.79 towards a rewards check, which is better than the cash back value.

Personally, I use a 2% Fidelity cash back card for spending that doesn't qualify for a bonus category and just use my Citi Forward card at the bonus categories where you earn five points per dollar of spending -- i.e., restaurants (including most fast food, coffee shops, diners, etc.), bookstores (including all Amazon.com purchases, whether you buy books or something else), record stores (including iTunes), video rental, and movie theaters.  Even if you redeem for something diluted like a student loan or mortgage rebate, you're still getting almost 4% back on the bonus categories.  And I eat out and order from Amazon.com a lot, so the bonus categories cover almost half of my total monthly credit card spending.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds working well for you, icon.... good!   I'm grad to hear that.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 13
asanch12
Contributor

hmm, ok.  i'll try that

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@asanch12 wrote:

hmm, ok.  i'll try that

Which Citi CC do you have, and which Citi CC are you trying to switch to?

Good Luck asanch12 !!    Don't for get to let us know the process and result ...  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 13
asanch12
Contributor

i have the Platinum select CC and wanted to switch to the diamond Amex.i  want an amex to shop at costco without having to app for a new card.  i'll keep in touch

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.