Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Product Change?

tag
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

Citi Product Change?

I have a Citi Diamond Preferred card that I got from a pre-approval offer, the limit is only $1200 and I still owe about $600 on it from some old charges, nothing too spectacular, just taking advantage of 0% APR.

However, I hate that this card is one of if not the only card I have with no rewards attached to it. There's some Easy Points or something that are completely useless. I want cash back, so I'd like the Dividend, as cash back has more substance for me than Thank You points. I was wondering if it was possible to product change to the Dividend, or would it be better to just put in a new application for it? What's the best advice for this situation?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
dearppl
Contributor

Re: Citi Product Change?

@AkiraTakamedo wrote:

I have a Citi Diamond Preferred card that I got from a pre-approval offer, the limit is only $1200 and I still owe about $600 on it from some old charges, nothing too spectacular, just taking advantage of 0% APR.

However, I hate that this card is one of if not the only card I have with no rewards attached to it. There's some Easy Points or something that are completely useless. I want cash back, so I'd like the Dividend, as cash back has more substance for me than Thank You points. I was wondering if it was possible to product change to the Dividend, or would it be better to just put in a new application for it? What's the best advice for this situation?

It is possible. I changed my Diamond to Dividend, then changed to TY Preferred. It will take up to 10 weeks to convert though, so it will be a lengthy process before you actually receive the card. 

Message 2 of 15
AkiraTakamedo
Valued Member

Interesting, so I guess it is possible. I'm big on cash back, when I had to pay off a bunch of bills last month I cashed in the UR points I earned through the Freedom and CSP (I know, travesty I didn't use them for travel, but I'm not planning on travelling right now!) and was able to get enough to cover them. How are the Thank You points? Thank You Preferred was another I was considering, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Message 3 of 15
dearppl
Contributor

@AkiraTakamedo wrote:

Interesting, so I guess it is possible. I'm big on cash back, when I had to pay off a bunch of bills last month I cashed in the UR points I earned through the Freedom and CSP (I know, travesty I didn't use them for travel, but I'm not planning on travelling right now!) and was able to get enough to cover them. How are the Thank You points? Thank You Preferred was another I was considering, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Honestly IMO, the TYP is pretty worthless. I don't really like the reward structure on it, and at most, you are getting 1c worth when you are redeeming some store gift cards.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

P/c'd the Citi Diamond Preferred to Citi Dividend with a 45 day wait and ten days for card mailing. No incentives with the p/c.
Message 5 of 15
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

Easy Deals are not useless..I juts used my 800 points to get a $10 Dunkin Donuts giftcard. Try to bid for stuff.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 6 of 15
awiser
Regular Contributor

OP, just curious, were you ever able to PC your Diamond?

Message 7 of 15
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Membersince2013 wrote:

Easy Deals are not useless..I juts used my 800 points to get a $10 Dunkin Donuts giftcard. Try to bid for stuff.

+1 

The deals are pretty good as well 50% 1 pound of coffee I shop at anyways ?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 8 of 15
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

You will need to need to be out of your 0% APR period, you can have a balance on the card, and no lates,over limits ect...PC takes 45 days, they will send your new card in about ten days of the request though, and then you are done.  Any card in their Citi cuircuit on their website is able to PC -EXCEPT SIMPLICITY.  That one is special for some reason. You cant PC TO it, or OUt of it.  Other than that, have at it.  I PC'd Dividend to Hilton Reserve In May.  PC conversion was complete July 9th, my statement closing date.  

Good Luck.

Message 9 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@capitalkid wrote:

You will need to need to be out of your 0% APR period, you can have a balance on the card, and no lates,over limits ect...PC takes 45 days, they will send your new card in about ten days of the request though, and then you are done.  Any card in their Citi cuircuit on their website is able to PC -EXCEPT SIMPLICITY.  That one is special for some reason. You cant PC TO it, or OUt of it.  Other than that, have at it.  I PC'd Dividend to Hilton Reserve In May.  PC conversion was complete July 9th, my statement closing date.  

Good Luck.

Great information. I plan to PC my college Forward card to a Dividend card in October. Are there any other cards with actual rewards worth looking at that I can convert my card to? Sucks that Citi isn't the best prime lender when it comes to rewards cards.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.