Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Ratejack

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Citi Ratejack

Oh, OK, I can't get the link to open up, but sad to say, I tend not to believe much of anything written in the popular press about credit. They don't seem to do their research very well, is all I can say.

DH is a pilot, and I discovered long ago that almost every newspaper or magazine article or TV or radio segment about a plane crash has a major error in there somewhere.

fused has a great thread on the impact of closing credit cards. I have it stickied in my siggy down below, and I recommend it to anyone trying to understand what, if any, effect closing of a card might have.

"Closed by grantor" has zero effect on your FICO scores. We used to say that it might raise a question in a future lender doing a manual review, but there are so many perfectly good accounts being closed by banks these days that I doubt that a future lender will even blink. In other words, you're in good company.

I have an old store card marked "closed by grantor" on one of my reports. No effect on the score, and it's never been questioned by any subsequent lenders.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 29
Established Member

I can send to your email if you want.  Let me know.  My email is [edited!] if you want it. 

(Please do not post personal information in the FICO Forums.  If you want to provide another member with an email address or other such information, you can PM that member. - Scamp)

Message Edited by Scamp on 07-21-2009 02:15 PM
Message 22 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Don't worry - the link works fine.

Unfortunately that part of the story is bunk.

Message 23 of 29
pattycake
Established Contributor

hauling - here it is, cut and pasted.  It's not very accurate. As a former journalist, I can tell you that the local stations are not very reliable with good information.  Since Fair-Isaac is the engineer of the credit score that is used by creditors, it's best to take FICO data as the final word.   

DENVER -- Credit card companies are increasing rates, decreasing limits and in some cases canceling accounts altogether.

The banking industry blames an increase in delinquent accounts, forcing it to raise rates and lower limits.

Consumer protection agencies assert the banking industry is still making an average of $16 billion a year on credit cards.

The one certainty seems to be if you carry over debt from one month to another, your interest rate is likely going up.

Ryan Kloberdanz just made a move from Iowa to Denver, which forced him to lean on his credit card a little more than he'd like.

"And I'm just trying to pay the minimum balance so that I can establish my life here in Denver. So, it’s been tough,” said Kloberdanz.

His card is through Wachovia, which was just bought by Wells Fargo. Although he hasn't noticed a rate increase, he's keeping a close eye on it.

"I call Wells Fargo and they can't really give me a straight answer. I call Wachovia and they say, 'Call Wells Fargo.' So, I don't know what's going to happen to it."

Kim McGrigg with Consumer Credit Counseling Services said interest rate hikes are common right now.

“Often times if you read the real fine print, you can reject the increase,” said McGrigg. But she said, that usually means you can no longer use the card.

One consumer advocacy group is going to Congress in hopes of making that practice by your credit card companies illegal.

"Credit card companies can actually increase your rates and decrease your limits for any reason, including no reason," said Danny Katz, state director with Colorado Public Interest Research Group.

Katz and his team are pushing Congress to pass the credit card holder bill of rights, which bans some practices by the card industry.

"One of the most egregious examples that we've heard about recently, is that they can literally raise your rates depending on where you shop. Meaning, you might be somebody who pays your credit card bills on-time and fully, but if you shop somewhere where other people tend to shop who tend to not pay their credit cards, they could potentially raise your rates as high as 37 percent," said Katz.

McGrigg said if you don't like your interest rate, you can always close the card and go with another creditor.

She said if you close an account yourself, it does not have a negative notation on your credit.

However, if a creditor closes your account, it usually is a ding on your credit.

McGrigg said she knows it’s easier said than done, but your best bet is to reduce your reliance on credit entirely.

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 24 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, and sadly, it's not just the journalist. This is (supposedly) a direct quote of a representative of a consumer credit counseling agency.

These are generally well-meaning folk, but they often give out incorrect information, while believing every word of it.

And they're not the only ones --think of mortgage lenders, for instance. How many posts have we read where a member followed advice from someone who should have known better, but who told them to close their CC's or lower their CL's?

An awful lot of credit is counter-intuitive, and the problem is compounded by the amount of misinformation floating around in cyberspace. Look at how many people on the forums still firmly believe that FICO 08 does away with AU's! (FICO changed their mind, probably after a close look at the Equal Credit Opportunity Act.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Well, and sadly, it's not just the journalist. This is (supposedly) a direct quote of a representative of a consumer credit counseling agency.

The worst part of all is that the head of CCCS is as sharp as they come. A true expert on FICO scoring. (For a non-insider that is.)

Message 26 of 29
pattycake
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

The worst part of all is that the head of CCCS is as sharp as they come. A true expert on FICO scoring. (For a non-insider that is.)

So true.  But a good reporter should also know to talk with a credit scoring person. But yes, CCCS should know better.   

Message 27 of 29
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Local TV news features pretty much throwaway time fillers. I don't think they spend a whole lot of time fact checking them. The do not have the resources to do so. As in all other things, caveat lector!
Message 28 of 29
pattycake
Established Contributor

Don't get me started on TV reporters - they are getting younger and dumber, but they are expected to fact-check everything through their producers.  

Oh, well.   

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.