Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Recon #?

tag
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

Citi Recon #?

My roommate got a pre-approval for Citi Double cash, which was declined after manual review at the last second. The rep was fairly confident about an approval initially during the review, income was ok, etc.. then had to deny the app in the end. Naturally, a letter is being sent.

She's trying to build/rebuild her credit, and she has 2 chargeoffs.

$3k for an apartment she broke the lease on about 5 years ago.

$300 cable bill from a year and a half ago.

Her only positive history, is that I added her as ACM on one of my AmEx cards in September of last year. It's a card I have SD'd, so I moved all but $500 over to a different card.

We do not know her Fico (or Fako Score) yet.

So: I have 2 questions:

1) Does Citi take being an ACM into account as a factor when reviewing apps?

2) I checked the backdoor numbers list, and saw Citi has an EO #, but not a recon #. Does anyone know if they have a recon #? Or is going to the EO after an initial denial.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Recon #?

@Odiseous wrote:

My roommate got a pre-approval for Citi Double cash, which was declined after manual review at the last second. The rep was fairly confident about an approval initially during the review, income was ok, etc.. then had to deny the app in the end. Naturally, a letter is being sent.

Her only positive history, is that I added her as ACM on one of my AmEx cards in September of last year. It's a card I have SD'd, so I moved all but $500 over to a different card.

2) I checked the backdoor numbers list, and saw Citi has an EO #, but not a recon #. Does anyone know if they have a recon #? Or is going to the EO after an initial denial.

Have to be brutally honest here.  If the only positive credit line she has is being an AU on your card and has 2 charge offs, she has no chance at being approved with Citi.  You need to look at this realistically and start her off with a couple of secured cards so that she can build her credit file up.  Get her credit scores and a copy of her credit reports before you go much further and don't apply for cards that she doesn't have much, if any chance of getting approved.  She needs to get some positive credit lines going and the secured cards will allow her to do that.

Message 2 of 9
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Odiseous wrote:

Have to be brutally honest here.  If the only positive credit line she has is being an AU on your card and has 2 charge offs, she has no chance at being approved with Citi.  You need to look at this realistically and start her off with a couple of secured cards so that she can build her credit file up.  Get her credit scores and a copy of her credit reports before you go much further and don't apply for cards that she doesn't have much, if any chance of getting approved.  She needs to get some positive credit lines going and the secured cards will allow her to do that.

Yeah, I figured as much.  But I'm wonering why she was even sent the pre-approval in the first place. Citi doesn't seem like they'd be sending a pre-approval to someone who only has 6 months of positive credit history.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 3 of 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Like said in the previous posts, get a couple of secured cards if possible and let them age out. Use them and pay them back on time. Wait 6-12 months and see if you get and do some online prequals. She needs to build her file by having her own cards and not just being an AU. If possible take care of the 2 CO.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

To quote our mods: "Google it"

Message 5 of 9
Ups77
Regular Contributor

Citi is pretty strict.I don't see it happening. Sorry .

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one ever answered this question and now I need the # too please or a post to the master recon thread?

"2) I checked the backdoor numbers list, and saw Citi has an EO #, but not a recon #. Does anyone know if they have a recon #? Or is going to the EO after an initial denial."

Message 7 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There's no seperate recon line. You need to call the EO line if that's what you want. Citi isn't known for recons really though.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

to add insult. I asked Goodyear offshore CS to do a CLI but NO HP and they said they can put the request in and UNCHECK the "ok for HP".

So we did that and I got denied, while I thought it was because I didnt agree to the HP, I called the EO and she said there
WAS a HP and it still got denied. Now she's starting an investigation on the recorded phone call. Trust me,, they WILL be taking
off that HP, if that indeed happneded. Why would they deny my GoodYear 1400 (from 1600) CLI since I have a spotless report
and they are currently MASS mailiing me lowest set apr  Citi cards..

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.