Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Reps "We Do Not Combine Lines"

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Citi Reps "We Do Not Combine Lines"

Hello All -  I have read mixed information in the forums about combining Citi cards  - so on Sunday - I called the number on the back of my Simplicity - and then the number on the back of my TYP to ask about combining the lines.

1. The calls - particularly the one I had with the Simplicity rep - sounded as if they were by way of VOIP - with bad internet connections 

2. Both said they do NOT combine lines period - 

3. Both kept saying that if I wanted a higher limit, I need to apply for a CLI -

I explained I was not inquiring because I wanted a CLI,  rather I have no use for the Simplicity - and apped for it erroneously when I should have apped for the TYP in the first place.  I told them both that I would like to close it, instead of having it just sit around unused - and if I COULD get the line transferred over to the card I WILL be using, that would be a benefit.  Both reiterated -  the no combine  policy - with the TYP rep repeatedly saying, "if you want to close the Simplicity, that is up to you, but we will not combine..." in a somewhat snide way.  

I guess - there might be the sense that closing and combining is a way folks are by-passing the CLI process.   

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Reps "We Do Not Combine Lines"

That is pretty much true. Citi, unlike chase, does not consolidate CLs (most of the time). You can try calling retention about having them combining CLs, and maybe they might be willing to help.

Even if they do consolidate CLs, the conversion may not be 1:1 ratio.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
That is pretty much true. Citi, unlike chase, does not consolidate CLs (most of the time). You can try calling retention about having them combining CLs, and maybe they might be willing to help.

Maybe I will call -if for no other reason than to get a concrete understanding of what the policy  - and other recourses are.  I do not mind if it is not 1:1.  

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Changingmantra wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Maybe I will call -if for no other reason than to get a concrete understanding of what the policy  - and other recourses are.  I do not mind if it is not 1:1.  

As enharu mentioned, you can try the retention channel but results are not guaranteed.  Those policies fluctuate frequently which is why some folks can have success on some products but not others.  At the end of the day, they hold the gold so it's really their decision.

Message 4 of 11
w003ptr
Contributor

Citi will let you move CLs around if you are approved for a new card.

Last App 12/8/13 - BoA Better Balance Rewards

Wallet: Discover IT $4500, Chase Freedom $3k, Citi Forward $3000, AmEx BCE $2k

Sock Drawer: Citi Diamond Preferred $10500, BoA BBR $7500, Citi Platinum Select $2200, AmEx Clear $2k, J.Crew $1850, US Bank Platinum $500

12/2013: TU = 763, EX = 791, EQ = ??
Message 5 of 11
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Just had a very pleasant conversation with Tameka in Citi's Retention Department, who explained the policy - and indicated that it is a "current" policy - although she cannot at all speak to if/when the policy will change.  So, now I know for myself - and I can get back to my WWF games.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks... was looking to move some CIti CL's around. Guess not now.
Message 7 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

You can always request for the simplicity to be changed to another product as well, though you will not qualify for the sign-up bonus that way.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@w003ptr wrote:

Not necessarily, it depends on the product and whatever policy is in place during the time of allocating CLs.

Message 9 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@w003ptr wrote:

Not necessarily, it depends on the product and whatever policy is in place during the time of allocating CLs.

And possibly the person.   After being told no way can you move CL, when I attempted to cancel a card (AA Plat Select) the retention supervisor said I could transfer all but 5K to another card.  (She also gave me a retention offer I ended up taking, so didn't do the transfer).   Now this was a few months ago and so the current policy could be firmer, but if important, you could continue to push.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.