Established Member
Snowfarmer

Citi Sears MC won't let me pay until balance reports - is this legal?

Technically I do not keep a balance on my Sears Citi card, but it appears as though I do because their payment system will not let me pay more than my last statement.  Sometimes it's 14.00 and sometimes it's 800.00, so I must appear wildly out of control to the CRA's....

What I'm wondering is whether or not this is legal.  Why can't I pay a bill before it's due, as long as the balance is valid, I'm not disputing anything and there is even a box for paying ''current balance''?

My CL is 2200 on this puppy, so sometimes I look as though my util is high even though I pay in full as soon as allowed. They report about two days after statement close, and they report the statement balance.

Oh, and this is a card that lowered my limit after I paid my bill in full earlier this year.  Third card in one year to do that.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Citi Sears MC won't let me pay until balance reports - is this legal?

It sounds like there's something wrong with how your online payment function is set up. I pay mine early all the time. The first month, I think I had to wait for a balance to report before paying, but after that, no problem. I always have $0 reporting, despite however much or little I used the card during the month.

Temporary fix: pay from your online bank account and "push" the payment in. They can't do anything about that.

Genuine fix: call CS and ask them to look at how your account is set up. I've always had great CS with them. Try calling in the late afternoon/ early evening Eastern time (don't know where you live) to get the home-grown reps in the Dakotas. At least, their accents sound Dakotan, doncha know. (random allusion to "Fargo" :smileywink: )
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Member
Snowfarmer

Re: Citi Sears MC won't let me pay until balance reports - is this legal?

Thanks.  My Billpay works great for this.

Now that I've done that, I almost don't care...but I should get it fixed anyway.  I'll call the nice midwestern ladies - yes, you're right; they're there in the evenings.  

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}