Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Secured CC

tag
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Secured CC

i think you have a shot at those banks...it's secured and you're trying to build history...which is what those cards are for...Smiley Happy you'll be alright i'm sure Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 21 of 35
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Thanks djcpuno In that case I will be at Citi and Bofa getting my credit journey started as soon as I get my pay check.  I could only afford to put the minimum is that ok?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 22 of 35
enharu
Super Contributor

Putting in only the minimum is fine. You can always add the deposit later on to increase the CL.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 23 of 35
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Sounds good, then I will keep you guys updated and see how things go.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Message 24 of 35
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Sounds good, then I will keep you guys updated and see how things go.

For style points just put the minimum and be done with it.  Pickup a C1 or a SDFCU card for limit goosing (pretty certain you can do this with SDFCU, definitely can with Cap One).  BOFA is a HP to increase it and as I found out, it may not make any difference to your eventual graduated limit anyway.

Regarding the secured cards, you're the perfect demographic for it: they're built for no-files.  FWIW I was approved as a straight negative file with BOFA twice (tax liens, collection, and the second time was a failed 30/60 day late account closed by grantor on a prior BOFA secured card actually heh).  Granted I've been a BOFA customer for two decades on the checking side so they could shortcut a bunch potentially when it came to fund and identity verification, but the same holds true for anyone.  In general banks would prefer you have no other relationships on record I suspect, so definitely take the swing.

        
Message 25 of 35
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Thanks Revelate and everyone else as well!! 

Message 26 of 35
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Good luck and waiting for your success stories Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with the many posters responding to your inquiry. Have personal experience with BoA Secured Card. Graduated in nine months plus they increased the credit line at graduation when they unsecured the card. Oh, no funny stuff on getting your secured money back. Can't say the same for Wells Fargo. Believe I read that USAA and Citi no longer moved you from secured to unsecured that you have to app for an unsecured card (assuming I read what I read).
Message 28 of 35
sjt
Senior Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

@Revelate thanks for the great info but looking at my credit and seeing that I have nothing will BofA and Citi still approve?

Here is a link to BofA secured card requirement. It looks like you would be approved.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Bank-Of-America-Secured-Card-Requirements/td-...

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 29 of 35
Longroad
Established Contributor

My youngest son is 19 and a freshman in college. He was approved for Discover IT $500 and a BOA secured card. Hope he doesn't lose my deposit. Haha
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.