Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Simplicity balance xfer

tag
newtocredit
Established Member

Citi Simplicity balance xfer

hi guys,

just got apporved for citi simplicity.  i was wondering if i just open a card for the 0% balance xfer and close it in 2 years?

does it harm my fico?  if i reapply for another citi card after will they deny me?

FYI i got approved with CL 9k... i called them right after and asked them to increase 14k because i wanted to balance xfer.

i think they did a hard pull and i got the increase.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
flyingace
Valued Member

Re: Citi Simplicity balance xfer

@newtocredit wrote:

hi guys,

just got apporved for citi simplicity.  i was wondering if i just open a card for the 0% balance xfer and close it in 2 years?

does it harm my fico?  if i reapply for another citi card after will they deny me?

FYI i got approved with CL 9k... i called them right after and asked them to increase 14k because i wanted to balance xfer.

i think they did a hard pull and i got the increase.

Depending on the current terms, I would just leave it open and sock drawer it. 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 2 of 5
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I was reading up on options with Citi earlier because DH has a "Citi Cash Returns" card that doesn't seem to exist any longer and he's been advised by their CSRs to just app for a new card since this one is no longer carried and they'll never adjust his APR/CL.

From what I've read it can be a bit of a pain, but if you go through a supervisor they can transfer the CL of one card to another after it's over a year old or out of the promo period (whichever is longer).  So if you picked up the Simplicity purely for the BT offer and intend to get a Citi rewards card at some point - transfering over that Simplicity line might be something to consider, or even just trying to PC it to something else.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 3 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Leave it open.  It will help with your UTL and chances are they will offer more transfer options down the road as well.

Message 4 of 5
enharu
Super Contributor

Just leave it open. There's no annual fee anyways
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.