Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi TY Premier vs Prestige

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Citi TY Premier vs Prestige

I'm just starting to look into these cards and I am interested in seeing how they match up against each other. I have seen in other posts from a few months ago that people were concerned that the TY air travel domestic partners all have fuel surcharges. Has this changed? Is the prestige worth the extra AF? I am not flying often enough where I would be using the lounge access more than a handful of times. I'm not much of a golfer so the free rounds of gold don't appeal to me as well. I could get the global entry and probably burn off the airline credit, but would that make it worthwhile vs the premier? Is the premier worth it if I have multiple cards in the UR program? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Citi TY Premier vs Prestige

@red259 wrote:

I'm just starting to look into these cards and I am interested in seeing how they match up against each other. I have seen in other posts from a few months ago that people were concerned that the TY air travel domestic partners all have fuel surcharges. Has this changed? Is the prestige worth the extra AF? I am not flying often enough where I would be using the lounge access more than a handful of times. I'm not much of a golfer so the free rounds of gold don't appeal to me as well. I could get the global entry and probably burn off the airline credit, but would that make it worthwhile vs the premier? Is the premier worth it if I have multiple cards in the UR program? 

The premier travel category includes just about everything, but points are worth more when redeemed for travel or AA/US flights (not transferred) with the prestige. Prestige has the $250 air credit, global entry credit, 4th night free on any hotel booked through prestige concierge and blah blah. 

Prestige is definitely worth it for the first year, or if you get the reduced AF of $350 (by being a citigold customer) Premier is pretty much worth it since the travel category on it is so broad. plus 50k signup bonus. While the transfer partners aren't great, they do include atleast one oneworld, a star alliance, and  skyteam partner covering just about every legacy carrier. 

Message 2 of 6
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

The premier travel category includes just about everything, but points are worth more when redeemed for travel or AA/US flights (not transferred) with the prestige. Prestige has the $250 air credit, global entry credit, 4th night free on any hotel booked through prestige concierge and blah blah. 

Prestige is definitely worth it for the first year, or if you get the reduced AF of $350 (by being a citigold customer) Premier is pretty much worth it since the travel category on it is so broad. plus 50k signup bonus. While the transfer partners aren't great, they do include atleast one oneworld, a star alliance, and  skyteam partner covering just about every legacy carrier. 

For the fourth night free I assume the other three nights have to be paid nights vs awards (certificates or points)? I did not understand your point about points redeemed for travel on AA/US flights not transferred. Do you mean that I must redeem the TY points for the flight directly vs moving those points into my AA account where I can combine them with my other AA miles? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

For the fourth night free I assume the other three nights have to be paid nights vs awards (certificates or points)? I did not understand your point about points redeemed for travel on AA/US flights not transferred. Do you mean that I must redeem the TY points for the flight directly vs moving those points into my AA account where I can combine them with my other AA miles? 

Yes, it needs to be a paid stay booked through the prestige concierge

AA is NOT a transfer partner of thank you rewards. You book the flight through the thank you travel center, and redeem points towards the price of the purchase. With the prestige, redemptions against AA/US flights mean thankyou points are worth 1.6 cents per point. Other airlines and hotel stays points are worth 1.33 cents per point. 

with the premier card, points are worth 1.25 cents per point when redeemed in the travel center. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

I will go with the Prestige, Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I will go with the Prestige, Smiley Happy

If you had to choose OP, I agree with Mia, go with Prestige (if the AF is a non-issue).  I have both Premier and Prestige.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.