IWOL
Established Contributor

Re: Citi TY points

@red259 wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Just throwing this out there because I was unaware of this. When you get the prestige you can (or at leats used to be able to) sign up for a citi gold account and get a bonus 40k citi ty points. I'm being told that apparently the TY points from the prestige card are not the same as from the citigold account and that you can not transfer the citigold ty points to an airline partner like you can with the prestige or premier ty points. Obviously this is somewhat of a blow to my plans and could have been made clearer to me in the branch when I was jumping through hoops to open the account. You can still redeem for AA fare at the 1.6 per point which is a worthwhile redemption, but not what I was shooting for. 

Who told you this?  I was under the impression that the 40K TY points from Citigold were going to have the same redemption value as the Prestige ones.  JSUCool76 knows all about this proggram.

What are you trying to do with the points?

A travel board and then I saw it on a travel blog as well. I wanted to use them towards Signapore airlines redemption. There is a signapore redemption for first class from LAX to Tokyo that I want, so if I did that I would still need a flight from NY to LA and the TY points from the bank account redeemed on AA could come in handy there. 

Maybe you already know this but Singapore Air is transferrable to from all 4 rewards accounts, MR, UR, TYP and SPG.

I just booked the very flight you are talking about in a first class suite form LA to Singapore through Tokyo. I was amazed that I was able to get a booking on my outgoing flight at the saver level and at standard coming back which made the redemption 219,000 miles. Still a very good deal when you consider this ticket costs $20K+

Cant wait for this flight.  Since all 4 programs transfer to Singpapore Air you could utilize a miriad of sign up bonuses to make up whatever points you may need.

Have you cheked if the flight dates you need have award availablity? The problem with Singapore is if you want to waitlist a date you have to have enough mile sitting in your account. It wont use them unless you get a confirmation but you may not know until very close to your date.

For some destinations going through Singapore a long way but the food, service and seat size on business/first is the best in the airline biz and the redemption rates are much beter than the US legacy carriers.

I'm kinda concerned now because I was under the impression for LA to Tokyo I would only need 150k miles. Maybe the travel blogs are only quoting saver fares, in which case that should be made clear but then again they just want people to signup for credit cards and really should not be considered reliable when it comes to things like this. I thought the roundtrip LA to Signapore flight was 182k miles or so. I haven't figured out what my dates will be yet. I can come up with about 150k miles but that is about it. I can take the prestige and assuming I get the premier card and combine those bonuses with about 50k MRs. I'm not going to dump starpoints and chase URs into it as well for a single flight, especially since I want to utilize those rewards for hotel stays. How is it with close in booking? Is it like CX where if you are flexible you can snag something close in? I don't like the waitlist idea because if I have to put the points in the program and then nothing opens up I can't go to a different airline and book. Did you book through signapore to get the discount?

I booked through my Kris Flyer account to get the 20% discount. 153K is the amount of miles required if you can get both ways at the saver level which is very difficult to find but not impossible if you have a little flexibility. 

Business class on Singapore Air is also very nice so in the event you can't get a first class suite business is not a bad alternative and at standard award level will cot also around 150k miles.

i was trying to figure out if it's possible to wait list a first class suite and actually book a biz class with te same miles by booking the wait list first. I'm not sure if that would work or not. I know you can't do that for the same flights on the same dates but you can do it for different flights on different dates. Ifou get a confirmation fa wait listed booking you are not bound to actually book the ticket.

Message 21 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Just throwing this out there because I was unaware of this. When you get the prestige you can (or at leats used to be able to) sign up for a citi gold account and get a bonus 40k citi ty points. I'm being told that apparently the TY points from the prestige card are not the same as from the citigold account and that you can not transfer the citigold ty points to an airline partner like you can with the prestige or premier ty points. Obviously this is somewhat of a blow to my plans and could have been made clearer to me in the branch when I was jumping through hoops to open the account. You can still redeem for AA fare at the 1.6 per point which is a worthwhile redemption, but not what I was shooting for. 

Who told you this?  I was under the impression that the 40K TY points from Citigold were going to have the same redemption value as the Prestige ones.  JSUCool76 knows all about this proggram.

What are you trying to do with the points?

A travel board and then I saw it on a travel blog as well. I wanted to use them towards Signapore airlines redemption. There is a signapore redemption for first class from LAX to Tokyo that I want, so if I did that I would still need a flight from NY to LA and the TY points from the bank account redeemed on AA could come in handy there. 

Maybe you already know this but Singapore Air is transferrable to from all 4 rewards accounts, MR, UR, TYP and SPG.

I just booked the very flight you are talking about in a first class suite form LA to Singapore through Tokyo. I was amazed that I was able to get a booking on my outgoing flight at the saver level and at standard coming back which made the redemption 219,000 miles. Still a very good deal when you consider this ticket costs $20K+

Cant wait for this flight.  Since all 4 programs transfer to Singpapore Air you could utilize a miriad of sign up bonuses to make up whatever points you may need.

Have you cheked if the flight dates you need have award availablity? The problem with Singapore is if you want to waitlist a date you have to have enough mile sitting in your account. It wont use them unless you get a confirmation but you may not know until very close to your date.

For some destinations going through Singapore a long way but the food, service and seat size on business/first is the best in the airline biz and the redemption rates are much beter than the US legacy carriers.

I'm kinda concerned now because I was under the impression for LA to Tokyo I would only need 150k miles. Maybe the travel blogs are only quoting saver fares, in which case that should be made clear but then again they just want people to signup for credit cards and really should not be considered reliable when it comes to things like this. I thought the roundtrip LA to Signapore flight was 182k miles or so. I haven't figured out what my dates will be yet. I can come up with about 150k miles but that is about it. I can take the prestige and assuming I get the premier card and combine those bonuses with about 50k MRs. I'm not going to dump starpoints and chase URs into it as well for a single flight, especially since I want to utilize those rewards for hotel stays. How is it with close in booking? Is it like CX where if you are flexible you can snag something close in? I don't like the waitlist idea because if I have to put the points in the program and then nothing opens up I can't go to a different airline and book. Did you book through signapore to get the discount?

I booked through my Kris Flyer account to get the 20% discount. 153K is the amount of miles required if you can get both ways at the saver level which is very difficult to find but not impossible if you have a little flexibility. 

Business class on Singapore Air is also very nice so in the event you can't get a first class suite business is not a bad alternative and at standard award level will cot also around 150k miles.

i was trying to figure out if it's possible to wait list a first class suite and actually book a biz class with te same miles by booking the wait list first. I'm not sure if that would work or not. I know you can't do that for the same flights on the same dates but you can do it for different flights on different dates. Ifou get a confirmation fa wait listed booking you are not bound to actually book the ticket.

I will have to look more into it. Since its not easy for me to get to Los angeles and would require booking another flight just to do that then I would probably not be inclined to jump through the hoops just to fly signapore business. I'll look for a direct NY flight to Japan in that situation. The point is to experience the suite class. It be too much hassle to do all this for business (if I based in LA my position would be totally different). Do signapore first class seats open up close in to departure date like CX or is it few and far between? I can be flexible when it comes to travel departure dates, but what I can't do is plan a vacation period and then have two weeks without any award space opening up. I noticed close in availability when it came to the NY-Frankfurt route, but I do not know if that is the standard. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 22 of 24
IWOL
Established Contributor

From everything I have read, its a mixed bag in terms of the award flights opening up. Some open months before, some just days before. You kind of have to just check on the website everday.

When are your expected travel dates? It will be alot harder around certain holiday times...i.e. Spring break, Xmas etc.

Message 23 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

From everything I have read, its a mixed bag in terms of the award flights opening up. Some open months before, some just days before. You kind of have to just check on the website everday.

When are your expected travel dates? It will be alot harder around certain holiday times...i.e. Spring break, Xmas etc.

I'm not sure at this point, since I am in the process of building up my point balances. I would like to go in the fall (late oct- early november), but honestly the turn around will probably be too quick on some of this point earning. The middle of winter is probably not ideal, so next spring is the strongest canidate and if the Ritz offer pops up with 140k points I will be all over it to help cover hotel stays. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.