Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi TYP closing gap on amex and chase?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Citi TYP closing gap on amex and chase?

I was just curious about overall thoughts of the citi premeir card. Since it doesn't look like I will ever get an decent signup bonus from amex anytime in the near future, i may try to diversify with citi instead. I know Citi TYP are still probably 4th behind SPG,UR, and MR, but are they closing the gap ? 

On a side note would closing my BCE increase chances of an potential PRG or SPG offer down the road? I don't think i would ever use my BCE , once i get the SM. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi TYP closing gap on amex and chase?

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was just curious about overall thoughts of the citi premeir card. Since it doesn't look like I will ever get an decent signup bonus from amex anytime in the near future, i may try to diversify with citi instead. I know Citi TYP are still probably 4th behind SPG,UR, and MR, but are they closing the gap ? 

On a side note would closing my BCE increase chances of an potential PRG or SPG offer down the road? I don't think i would ever use my BCE , once i get the SM. 

If the BCE is your only Amex card ( I mean Amex not the Fidelity amex or Bank of America Amex) I would keep it imo the  benefits like extended warranty is superior with Amex then MC, Visa or Discover so if you need to buy a big purchase i would use an Amex card for that perk alone since I view Amex as superior for those perks. 

Also I pretty much don't care about the Citi TYP but the premier card is decent since you get that Travel Credit per year so it isn't a terrible card even with the points being meh 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

If the BCE is your only Amex card ( I mean Amex not the Fidelity amex or Bank of America Amex) I would keep it imo the  benefits like extended warranty is superior with Amex then MC, Visa or Discover so if you need to buy a big purchase i would use an Amex card for that perk alone since I view Amex as superior for those perks. 

Also I pretty much don't care about the Citi TYP but the premier card is decent since you get that Travel Credit per year so it isn't a terrible card even with the points being meh 

Well do have some interesting partners now with Cathay and Etihad being the two big ones that i wouldn't mind flying on. BCE is my only real amex card. If they would give me signup bonus for prg and spg they would be only cards i would be using. PRG would be gas and groceries and SPG everything else. I would may be still use CSP for dinig but thats it. They are losing out an fair amount of my spending because they don't look at me as a customer worth keeping. 

Message 3 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Well do have some interesting partners now with Cathay and Etihad being the two big ones that i wouldn't mind flying on. BCE is my only real amex card. If they would give me signup bonus for prg and spg they would be only cards i would be using. PRG would be gas and groceries and SPG everything else. I would may be still use CSP for dinig but thats it. They are losing out an fair amount of my spending because they don't look at me as a customer worth keeping. 

IF you never get the PRG offer and don't get the SPG I would say just semi sock drawer the BCE and use it for purchases you want the extended warranties or other perks since I do think Amex extended warranty perk is better then the rest. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 4 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Does the Premier have a travel credit?  Isn't that the Prestige?  

If so, I would look at the Prestige, if you can use the travel credit (which is more flexible than many).  The difference in AF is small after taking that credit, and you get benefits like the 1.6c per point on AA (and companion ticket if you get it now!)

Message 5 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

If so, I would look at the Prestige, if you can use the travel credit (which is more flexible than many).  The difference in AF is small after taking that credit, and you get benefits like the 1.6c per point on AA (and companion ticket if you get it now!)

Ah yes i meant the Prestige lol 

I think the Prestige is a decent card since you do get the Travel credit which is $300 i think and the AF is $400 

Message 6 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

IF you never get the PRG offer and don't get the SPG I would say just semi sock drawer the BCE and use it for purchases you want the extended warranties or other perks since I do think Amex extended warranty perk is better then the rest. 

The thing is as long as i have an BCE i don't think i will ever get any offers for either PRG or SPG, they only want new customers. I still am an AU on costco amex so i still have access to warranty program that way?

Message 7 of 40
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

The thing is as long as i have an BCE i don't think i will ever get any offers for either PRG or SPG, they only want new customers. I still am an AU on costco amex so i still have access to warranty program that way?

That i wouldn't know .. Never delt with Au's so never bothered to learn about them lol 

Message 8 of 40
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think the Prestige is a decent card since you do get the Travel credit which is $300 i think and the AF is $400 

I was going to start off slow with citi premier, and see how i like the TYP program for travel. Whats interesting about typ partners is singapore air I could potentially use both UR and TYP to transfer to singapore air. 

Message 9 of 40
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Hi the Prestige AF is $450. right now (Before Oct 16th??) the airline credit is $200 after that date the "new" version gives you a $250 credit, this is aside from the $100 global entry credit......

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.