cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Card converted to Costco Visa.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Thank You Card converted to Costco Visa.

Hi,
Just wanted to share some points here. When you call in and ask to have your card converted to a Costco card, usually the customer rep will tell you it cannot be done because it's a store card. And that you will need to apply. This is wrong information.

When you call in, ask for retention. Through retention you will get someone who speaks English, most likely from the states.
And tell them you don't use your card anymore and want to see about a product change. They'll ask you what you're interested in and you tell them. Through that they will ask you a series of questions including your membership number. Have that ready. You will get your new card in about two months.

I called in three times and each customer service rep had told me that I cannot do a product a change. Then I'll tell them to put me over to retention. I'll ask for the Costco card and they woukd say yes, it can be changed over.
I was doing this to test the waters; making sure I get a consistent answer. My card is coming soon. I hope this helps.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You Card converted to Costco Visa.

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,
Just wanted to share some points here. When you call in and ask to have your card converted to a Costco card, usually the customer rep will tell you it cannot be done because it's a store card. And that you will need to apply. This is wrong information.

When you call in, ask for retention. Through retention you will get someone who speaks English, most likely from the states.
And tell them you don't use your card anymore and want to see about a product change. They'll ask you what you're interested in and you tell them. Through that they will ask you a series of questions including your membership number. Have that ready. You will get your new card in about two months.

I called in three times and each customer service rep had told me that I cannot do a product a change. Then I'll tell them to put me over to retention. I'll ask for the Costco card and they woukd say yes, it can be changed over.
I was doing this to test the waters; making sure I get a consistent answer. My card is coming soon. I hope this helps.

That part may be wrong information. I converted my AA Platinum to Costco and it was two months from the date I made my request to the date I got the new card.

Dodged the AF, though...and I may PC my Prestige to a Double Cash soon.

Edit: Oops. I had the impression your four calls were recent and I overlooked your mention of the two months.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would have that card but denied for inquiries which is true congrats and good to know though
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seco

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,

That part may be wrong information. I converted my AA Platinum to Costco and it was two months from the date I made my request to the date I got the new card.

Dodged the AF, though...and I may PC my Prestige to a Double Cash soon.

Second paragraph. Last sentence states that it will take 2 months. 
My card is coming soon because I called awhile back. Smiley Happy so I'm not wrong. Proving to you that I am right. I like to be right. Thanks! 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the info! I have often thought about calling their bluff about not being able to PC my worthless Diamond Preferred to either Hilton HHonors or Costco. They keep telling me no, so I may have to try this retention route. 

Message 5 of 6
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I am still trying to comprehend why it takes two months for a PC. Smiley Surprised I was thinking about converting my TYP to the DC after the one year mark.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.