Established Member
georgia_girl

Citi Thank You Preferred Card Invitation: Should I apply?

Today I received an invitation to apply for the Citi Thank You Preferred Card, it's weird because I applied for the Citi secured card and the automated message said it could not process my request but they pulled Experian. I haven't received a letter and it's been a couple of weeks so when I received this Citi invitation I thought that was weird. Should I apply?

I have two credit cards a Bank of America Secured Card and a Capital One Credit card, both with $300 credit limits. I've had them for about five months. Let's see, I had a delinquent loan for my university (ACS) but I brought it current this month (paying over $1600) and it's going to be updated as current on April 30. Actually the account is set to go positive in March of next year, it's been on my (negative) credit report for years even when I was in grad school. I started making small payments when I found out it wasn't in deferment. But by then it was already very high in late fees. I started making more payments but it never brought it down, finally I paid it off this month. I thought about writing ACS a letter asking if they could delete the negative markings. But since they said they're bringing it out of delinquency this month, I thought I'd just leave it be. So I wouldn't apply for the Citi card before the middle of May. My Transunion score is a 615 and according to the Experian website it's a 591. I expect it be higher once the delinquency is removed so the points should go up some. I'd check my scores before applying.

Do I have a chance?

Frequent Contributor
ArisGreek

Re: Citi Thank You Preferred Card Invitation: Should I apply?

Personally, I just PCed back to the Citi AA Platinum Select World Elite MC from the TY Preferred since it now has the chip and I kicked United Airlines to the curb due to horrible customer service since the merger and all the system drama. I'd rather not visit that story. That being said, the reward redemption options in the TY Points store aren't that great.  If I recall, 1500 points gets you a $5 Starbucks card. In the AMEX rewards store, you can get a $15 gc for 1500 points. The points are worth more with AMEX. Also, AMEX SPG has great reward conversions to gift cards and other things. I just think the TY Points program stinks, but that is just me.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Contributor
Coldness

Citi probably sends me 3 invitiations to this card a week. They're always in a big packing envelope too, I could almost build a fort out of them at this point...
Established Member
georgia_girl

Thanks, I mostly fly Delta so I haven't flown United in years. Something to think about. I might apply in mid-June after I see what my scores look like. I'm wondering if I can apply for the Amex Zync card.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+