Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Preferred upgraded to World Elite MC

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You Preferred upgraded to World Elite MC

That does look better than the standard.

But....., why do you want this card (without the 5x)?   It's currently just a 1% card, and there are many cards out there with a higher return.

Message 41 of 46
Alpha43
Established Member

Well personally, I been looking for a decent mastercard to complete my wallet. So I just might bite.

Capital One Platinum - $5,000 \ Care Credit - $10,000 \ American Express Blue Card - $18,000 \ Chase Sapphire Preferred - $6,000 \ Discover More - $3,000
Message 42 of 46
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

@Alpha43

Go for the Sallie Mae MC issued by Barclays.
Message 43 of 46
leoment
Frequent Contributor

I....think I'm gonna cave and app for this card soon.  In June all of my inquiries (2) will be either 6 months or a year old.  Yes, it's a 1% card, but

*I can get better redemptions for GCs using my Forward card to rack up points

*It can potentially become a World Elite MC (and I want a silver MC, no shame here).  Any tips on how to trigger this?  I've heard via increased spending - maybe put my fall tuition on it?

I also found another link for a MC that offers 10k points for $500 spend, but the one posted earlier looks like a better deal (15k for $700 spend).  I wonder why they're phasing out the MC version of this card though.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 44 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@leoment wrote:

I....think I'm gonna cave and app for this card soon.  In June all of my inquiries (2) will be either 6 months or a year old.  Yes, it's a 1% card, but

*It can potentially become a World Elite MC (and I want a silver MC, no shame here).  Any tips on how to trigger this?  I've heard via increased spending - maybe put my fall tuition on it?

I also found another link for a MC that offers 10k points for $500 spend, but the one posted earlier looks like a better deal (15k for $700 spend).  I wonder why they're phasing out the MC version of this card though.

OK, IMO 1 is certainly a valid reason.  2, um, not so much.  Will you take advantage of the World Elite perks, e.g. being able to upgrade a (hugely expensive) unrestricted full coach fare on Lufthansa to biz?  Gazing at the silver MC only lasts so long!

And even 1 has questions if you can get just one card.  Then you have to decide if the upgrade in value of the Forward points compensates for the loss of rewards from getting a better card.  However, if you can get two cards, that's fine, because you don't have to use the TYPref  at all to get the benefit on the Forward.

Message 45 of 46
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@leoment wrote:

OK, IMO 1 is certainly a valid reason.  2, um, not so much.  Will you take advantage of the World Elite perks, e.g. being able to upgrade a (hugely expensive) unrestricted full coach fare on Lufthansa to biz?  Gazing at the silver MC only lasts so long!

And even 1 has questions if you can get just one card.  Then you have to decide if the upgrade in value of the Forward points compensates for the loss of rewards from getting a better card.  However, if you can get two cards, that's fine, because you don't have to use the TYPref  at all to get the benefit on the Forward.

I'll be honest, I came across a customer with the World Elite TY Preferred at work and liked the look of the card a lot..  But the main draw is to have my TYP redeemed at a better rate.  I'll likely put my Netflix subscription on there just so it sees some action.  Any travel purchases I make will likely be on my BoA card.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about "getting just one card".  Are you talking about getting two TY Preferred cards?  Because I only want one Smiley Very Happy

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.