Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Preferred upgraded to World Elite MC

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi Thank You Preferred upgraded to World Elite MC

So, I got the TY Preferred with the 5% back for groceries, gas and drug stores. By default, it was the card w/o the EMV chip.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/thankyou/Preferred/external/Apr2011/Default.htm?BT_TX=1&Prospec...

Thus I got the preferred w/o the EMV chip originally and I requested for one with EMV Chip.

I asked what kind of MC it was and the guy at EO office said he wasn't sure, but will follow up for me.

The following day, I got a call from him about having the new card sent out, and I just got it today and noticed its a world elite MC. The original card I got was a world MC.

So yea it is possible to be upgraded to world elite MC. My entire app process from start till end was with the EO office directly, so that might have helped out. If anyone need the phone number just PM me as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You Preferred upgraded to World Elite MC

Awesome. My citi cl is only 4200. Long way from elite lol
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 46
vagrants
Regular Contributor

What does it look like? Similar to Citi Dividend World Elite?

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 3 of 46
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

Congrats! This is the second confirmed no annual fee World Elite MC from Citi. This gives me hope that mine can be upgraded also. Is the MC logo silver? Are there any other differences? Thanks.

Message 4 of 46
myjourney
Super Contributor

enharu congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 46
enharu
Super Contributor

thanks! Smiley Very Happy

I took a picture of my card. Everything is the same on the back, except the word "Citi" got moved from top right to top left, and top right says "World Elite" with the globe logo below it.

The non-EMV version I had was a dark blue card, similar/same to the Premier's color. This EMV version is light blue, which is what the Preferred should be.

I kinda like the dark blue version more, but I like the shiny logo more too.

Edited to remove the pic

There's no layers in the picture, so there's little or no risk of having this up, I think. It's a screenshot of a screenshot of a picture essentially. I was advised to do this. If it's still not okay with the mods, please remove it. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 46
primechicken
Contributor

I got that same link bookmarked in hopes it will still be available when I leave the garden since it's the only place where the 5 pts gas, groceries for 12 mo is still available that I have found. Am I understanding you correctly that you were still able to get that deal for the first 12 months but it's a different card altogether? Or is World Elite just some sort of status like the Signature cards are for Visa? I guess the reason I'm curious is because, like I said, I'm hoping that the TY Preferred with the killer points deal for first year will still be available down the road when I app. But if it has been replaced with a different card altogether that could be encouraging if the same deal is still in place. Makes that deal more likely to still be in place.

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 7 of 46
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 46
enharu
Super Contributor

@primechicken wrote:

I got that same link bookmarked in hopes it will still be available when I leave the garden since it's the only place where the 5 pts gas, groceries for 12 mo is still available that I have found. Am I understanding you correctly that you were still able to get that deal for the first 12 months but it's a different card altogether? Or is World Elite just some sort of status like the Signature cards are for Visa? I guess the reason I'm curious is because, like I said, I'm hoping that the TY Preferred with the killer points deal for first year will still be available down the road when I app. But if it has been replaced with a different card altogether that could be encouraging if the same deal is still in place. Makes that deal more likely to still be in place.

The link in my 1st post is the link I used to apply. There's about 3-4 different offers for the thank you preferred. The standard one is on Citi's website, and then there's the 5% gas, drug store, groceries (which I used), and there's a $200 gift card for $700 spend (Link here: http://citi.bridgetrack.com/usc/thankyou/Preferred/external/Jul2011/200GC/default.htm?BT_TX=1&Prospe...).

The standard one on Citi's website is a visa (or visa signature if your CL is >5k.)

The one I applied for is a mastercard. They gave me world MC by default when the card first came, and I now got upgraded to world elite mastercard. 

The one for $200 bonus is also a mastercard. 
They don't seem to let me switch the card type (visa or MC) during application process, so I was stuck with it. But i guess you could call in to have it changed to the other payment network if you have a preference for one.

World elite is a different tier compared to world and platinum MC, like visa signature and platinum visa. I think a big reason why I got upgraded is because of Citi's EO. I mentioned about what tier of mastercard did I get and whether it was possible to get the world elite. 

Starting July 28th the TY Preferred cards get 2X points on dining and entertainment as well.

The Premier gets a even bigger bonus. 3X dining and Entertainment and 2X travel on top of its current bonuses, if I am not wrong.

And thanks lexie Smiley Very Happy I'm really happy they upgraded me! Kinda a nice surprise.

Message 9 of 46
vagrants
Regular Contributor

Yes, it's shiny but not flashy shiny! Very nice! Congra!!!

AMEX Cash Rebate (this isn't Costco, older version of Blue Cash), AMEX Blue Cash, AMEX BCP, AMEX SPG (personal), Barclay Sallie Mae Plat MC, BBVA Compass NBA AMEX (No AF), Capital One QuickSilver VISA Sig, Capital One QuickSilver World MC, 2x Chase Freedom VISA Sig, Chase Ink Bold World Elite MC, Citi Dividend AMEX/World MC, Citi Double Cash, Citi Hilton VISA Sig, Discover More, Discover It, Fidelity AMEX, Huntington Voice World MC, MyPoints Rewards VISA, 2x US Bank Cash+ VISA Sig
Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.