cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Preferred worth applying for?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Citi Thank You Preferred worth applying for?

I got an offer letter from Citi for the Thank You Preffered Visa, 0% APR for 12 month and 15,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in 3 months. No annual fee and 2x points earned on dining and entertainment.

Worth using an inquiry on?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You Preferred worth applying for?

Worth is always highly subjective.  You have to tell us what your criteria are if you want feedback on whether it's worth it or not.

Also, don't just respond to offers.  Start with what you need/want and then find cards that suit you.

Message 2 of 5
Open123
Super Contributor

All things being equal, the TY program is worthwhile if you can redeem for student loan/mortgage rebate checks.  

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

Worth is always highly subjective.  You have to tell us what your criteria are if you want feedback on whether it's worth it or not.

Also, don't just respond to offers.  Start with what you need/want and then find cards that suit you.

Very true.   But some general statements about this card (which, along with the Blue Cash Everyday, I vote "No" on).

Thank You points are generally worth less than other systems, such as Chase UR, or Amex MR/SPG.   You cannot transfer them to partners (with this card anyway).

It is also hard to get full value, you cannot do this with a statement credit for example.   The best way is to ask for a student loan/mortgage redemption (whether or not you have such loans) but this is also a slight hassle.   You can also redeem for gift cards, but as you pay full price, this is expensive compared to buying through a broker.

So you have to consider the offer of at most $150 versus some other choices, such as the Freedom for example.

The only slightly good feature is the 2x on dining and entertainment.  However, other cards, such as Fidelity Amex, will give you 2x on everything, and things like Quicksilver will give you 1.5% on everything vs the 1% here.   And other, albeit harder to get cards, give higher percentages on dining and entertainment.

But if other options aren't available, a lot of your expenses are dining and entertainment, and you don't mind redemption hassle, then, well...  maybe.

But firmly with takeshi74: Apart from the fact that is isn't a guarantee of acceptance, an offer is just advertising.   It by no means indicates that the card is a great fit for you, other cards, even from the same issuer may be better.   You wouldn't buy a car just because you were sent an ad for it, use the same thought processes here!

Message 4 of 5
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the thought out reply, make s alot of sense. I did like the 2x on dining which I would get use out of  but I don't really need it. Will probably pass on this one. Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.