Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Premier

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Thank You Premier

Why does it seem like this card is not recommended often or used much as it seems on here? You hear about CSP or the Venture but I just got awared of it and it seems good to me, am I missing something?

-50,000 points signup bonus basically equally to a 625 airfare, $500 gift card if spend 3000 in 3 months

-3x points on travel( public transportation as well) and gas

-2x on restaurants and entertainment 

-1x all other

-AF just like CSP

pretty similar so why is there not much after this card?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Thank You Premier

I have it and the Venture. Its a cool card, kinda weird (front on back, back on front design... according to the 2 pound welcome kit I got)

I guess its flying under the radar right now, but its a great card.

2pts on games/tickets/etc is part of it too.

Message 2 of 33
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does it seem like this card is not recommended often or used much as it seems on here? You hear about CSP or the Venture but I just got awared of it and it seems good to me, am I missing something?

-50,000 points signup bonus basically equally to a 625 airfare, $500 gift card if spend 3000 in 3 months

-3x points on travel( public transportation as well) and gas

-2x on restaurants and entertainment 

-1x all other

-AF just like CSP

pretty similar so why is there not much after this card?

No. There's nothing wrong with the card it's just really hard to get in with Citibank  they are so sensitive about everything.   The reason people get the CSP Card is because you can transfer the ultimate rewards points to airlines and hotel partners.  Everything else  pretty much similar To the Thank you Premier card. 

Message 3 of 33
icyhot
Valued Contributor

You can also transfer TYP with the Premier and Prestige
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 33
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Was just approved for 7500. But it takes really long for the card to arrivedSmiley Sad

Looks very good to me. Especially considering I have a travel for the next month.

Message 5 of 33
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

BTW, can TYP be used as statement credit or cash bank? At what ratio?

Message 6 of 33
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Yes it can, don't know the exact ratio but it's lower than 1:1. Lousy
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 7 of 33
Sharingan
Established Contributor

My issue with the TY Premier is the TY points program itself. It has come a long way, but I still prefer UR points because of the transfer partners. Having a Citi Forward surely makes the Premier a compelling opportunity, but I just don't want to get involved with TY points more than I already am. I evaluated the Premier extensively when the new version rolled out several months ago, but the numbers just don't add up for me.

If I am interested in having another $400+ AF card once I get rid of my AmEx Platinum in a few months, the Prestige would be my choice, however. It's very unlikely though.

Message 8 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:
My issue with the TY Premier is the TY points program itself. It has come a long way, but I still prefer UR points because of the transfer partners. Having a Citi Forward surely makes the Premier a compelling opportunity, but I just don't want to get involved with TY points more than I already am. I evaluated the Premier extensively when the new version rolled out several months ago, but the numbers just don't add up for me.

If I am interested in having another $400+ AF card once I get rid of my AmEx Platinum in a few months, the Prestige would be my choice, however. It's very unlikely though.

Yes, I think part of the problem for the Premier is that it is overshadowed by the Prestige.   While the latter has a large AF, the various easy to use credits and sometimes ways of getting it with a lower AF make it pretty close to the cost of the Premier with significant advantages.

And while any card can be nerfed, the Premier has gone through a lot, both up and down.

When I got it maybe two years ago, TYPs weren't transferable, but the card gave you a 15% discount on the non-tax part of an airfare (booked through their partner of course) and also gave flight points, 1 point per mile flown.   And for each $ you spend on the card, one flight point would convert to a TYP, so if you flew enough miles, this could really add up.   

They then got rid of both of those features and made some category 3x rather than 2x (but the Forward had 5x anyway) so I PCd the card.   But since then, with the transfer of TYPs, its become a much better card, if you can use the partners.

Message 9 of 33
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Yes it can, don't know the exact ratio but it's lower than 1:1. Lousy

That's probably the only downside with this card. I don't know what gift cards to use for $500 for now.

How long before the signup 50k points expired?

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.