Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank You Premier

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Thank You Premier

using points on Amazon is a terrible value, but also terribly convenient.

I'd say that discover Cashback is better to use on Amazon.

Message 31 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

using points on Amazon is a terrible value, but also terribly convenient.

I'd say that discover Cashback is better to use on Amazon.

This.

What people sometimes fail to remember is that "points" cards like the Premier are not usually going to give you the best value outside of travel redemptions. This is because the reason for their existence is not to give you cash back/statement credit/Amazon purchase credit. The Premier is a travel card, plain and simple, and redeeming for other things is not going to get you a good value. If you want to redeem for other things, use your Discover etc like jsu said. It's just not worth carrying the Premier (and paying for it) to then redeem for subpar value redemptions that can be better had with cash back cards.

Message 32 of 33
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
@saltwater

while the Prestige will get you 1.6 cents on AA, it is not necessary to make use of TYP. you can still transfer all points to partners with a premier card, or use them for travel booked through citi at a value of 1.25 cents per point.

you do not get "reimbursed" for travel through points. the points pay for the travel directly, and if you have enough points to cover the purchase, then no charge will ever hit your credit card. or you can do cash and points and pay the leftover if you don't have enough points.

thankyou points do not have less value than mr/ur. if you use them correctly you can get just as much value as any other program, and the citi premier card offers a higher earning potential than the chase sapphire preferred.

This is true when you compare card on card. However, if you have the CSP and also have a freedom card your earning potential for URs can increase due to 5x categories. And if you have an ink chase card on top of that then it is much easier to generate chase URs. However, like I said I agree if it is just one card compared to another its a bit easier to earn with the premier. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.