Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Thank you Approval/Need advice on next step

tag
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi Thank you Approval/Need advice on next step

I agree with closing the AF cards.  Don't forget that closed positive TL's remain on your CR's for 10 years.  There will be no appreciable hit to AAoA for 10 years as your newer, better accounts add to the age.  The only consideration would be to utilization, but in your case, I don't think that would be a big issue because of your new TL limits and the lower limits on your "less desirable" cards.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 11 of 21
Skins2311
Established Member

So if I call to close the accounts, will the CSRs give me any crap about it? And since I am closing my accts when they have no balances, I will not have an negative comments posted on to my CR right?

Starting Score: EQ 696 TU 709
Current Score: EQ 746 TU 742 as of 5/12 Ex. 732 as of 6/1/12 (Off EX. website)
Goal Score: 760 by 12/31/12

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You close your account, you should only be billed for the balance.  Now if you close it within 30 days of being billed the AF, they are supposed to delete the AF, since you are not renewing.

Message 13 of 21
Skins2311
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

You close your account, you should only be billed for the balance.  Now if you close it within 30 days of being billed the AF, they are supposed to delete the AF, since you are not renewing.

My AF is not until November and my balance is 0 so I should be good to go.

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You only have to call and say buy bye to the card(s) you no longer want to keep.

Message 15 of 21
Skins2311
Established Member

Update: I finally received both my Discover More and Citi TY cards. They are both activating and by adding these two cards my util has gone to from 29% to 11%! My question is should I cancel my cards like Cap 1 now? Or wait a month or two? 

Message 16 of 21
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

I think you might as well ride it till the AF is charged.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 17 of 21
L-TWT
Established Contributor

if it was me....

I would keep the longest tradeline open, hopefully that being your Cap1....which does not carry a FTF, just in case you plan on traveling out the country

2nd...I would keep the amex Zync, for down the road if you open another Amex Acct, it would be backdated to the date your Zync acct was opened

3rd....I would keep discover b/c of....their top notch customer service, cash back rewards & they also provide FTF

all other cards i would CHUCK!!!!!!

Message 18 of 21
Skins2311
Established Member

Ok, so I have come to the conclusion that I am going to keep my chase card since it is my 1st card so it has the most history. I am going to close Zales and Cap 1. I have no need for these cards they have just been collecting dust for years and I would rather not pay an AF for a card I never use. With that being said, I still want to cancel one more card because I feel like 6 cards would be more than enough. The two canidates are Macys and BOA. Which should I choose? BOA i have a crap CL (1000) but I have only been with them for 8 months. Would it look bad to close a card so soon?

Message 19 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Skins, what chase card do you have and does it have af? Also do any of the other chase cards fit your needs?
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.