Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard

tag
Pucelle
Established Member

Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard

My ThankYou points card was just upgraded to this and I don't see anything different about it aside from having the chip. I just got a new card in the mail & didn't request anything nor have I used it recently. I've seen info on the Elite World and the regular so wanted know if there was any benefit to this upgrade.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 (/20/13) * 656 CK/TU (9/2013) * 711 Vantage (9/2013) * 632 CS (9/2013)
Current Score:
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Citi Dividend MC (1997) $9.33k / Citi ThankYou Preferred World MC (2003) $7.96k / DiscoverIT (4/2013) $13.5k / AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (9/2013) $1k / New York and Company (unknown) / Citibank LoC (2006) $4.9k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard

@Pucelle wrote:
My ThankYou points card was just upgraded to this and I don't see anything different about it aside from having the chip. I just got a new card in the mail & didn't request anything nor have I used it recently. I've seen info on the Elite World and the regular so wanted know if there was any benefit to this upgrade.

Did you just have the regular Mastercard before the upgrade? 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@Pucelle wrote:

the only difference is that you now have access to World Elite Mastercard benefits.

For me the only difference is just the shiny silver logo, since I don't utilize any of the WEMC benefits.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 8
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@Pucelle wrote:

Hmm, I wonder what triggered the upgrade. Did you recently get a CLI? 

WMC offers benefits like concierge service and price protection. You can see the list of benefits on the MasterCard website.

You know, yesterday I noticed my TYP Visa shows as a flexible spending account on my CRs, but it's not Signature card.. maybe I'll get an upgrade! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Reoxys
Established Member

@Irisa wrote:

@Pucelle wrote:

Hmm, I wonder what triggered the upgrade. Did you recently get a CLI? 

WMC offers benefits like concierge service and price protection. You can see the list of benefits on the MasterCard website.

You know, yesterday I noticed my TYP Visa shows as a flexible spending account on my CRs, but it's not Signature card.. maybe I'll get an upgrade! Smiley Happy

I looked at my TYP online acct just now, and under the "Special Offers" tab there is an offer to upgrade to a card with a chip (although, it says nothing about WMC). Have a look at your acct, there may be an offer!

Last App: November 12, 2013 - Wally World Discover. No more apps until my albatross (student debt) is gone
Message 5 of 8
Pucelle
Established Member

Its not an Elite just a World, both my Dividend & ThankYou points were given CLIs back in September though.

Starting Score: EQ FICO 673 (/20/13) * 656 CK/TU (9/2013) * 711 Vantage (9/2013) * 632 CS (9/2013)
Current Score:
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Citi Dividend MC (1997) $9.33k / Citi ThankYou Preferred World MC (2003) $7.96k / DiscoverIT (4/2013) $13.5k / AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (9/2013) $1k / New York and Company (unknown) / Citibank LoC (2006) $4.9k
Message 6 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Mine was just upgraded to this, as well.  Received a pamphlet in the mail telling me that a new card was on its way.  Received it last Saturday.  Don't use the card much so doubt I will get much from the benefits.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 7 of 8
TrueGeminiNC
Frequent Contributor

Mastercard has 3 types of cards; Mastercard, World Mastercard and World Elite Mastercard.  Conversely, Visa I beleive has Visa and Visa Signature.  Each card has different criteria and varying levels of benefits.  For example, most Visa Signature cards that I am aware of generally requires a credit limit of +5K.   

Secondly, in addition to the benefits that you may quelify for from either Visa or Mastercard, each issuing bank may add value-added perks.  I have a Citibank World Elite Mastercard (with the silver MasterCard logo).  The benefits use to be great.  However, they have since diminished.  For example, the Citi World Elite card use to provide access to airport lounges around the country.  Citi has changed the program and now you only have access to a handful of lounges throughout the World (approx. 4 or 5 in the USA) for a nominal fee.  Overall, I suppose Citi is simply trying to balance the benefits that it provides for its no-annual fee and annual fee cards.  

Also from another comment that was posted; several of Citi Cards now have what tthey consider a "flexible spending" limit.  Truly, you still have a hard credit limit.  However, at the discretion of Citi they will allow you to exceed this limit with no penalties.  For example, if your credit limit is 5K, Citi may allow you to make a purchase for 7K.  Notably, your minimum monthly payment will include the amount over your credit limit.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.