Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ThankYou point vs Bonus points?

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Citi ThankYou point vs Bonus points?

I have no intention of getting a Citi card at the moment. I just got approved for two new cards, so I'm gardening for a while.

But I was checking out Citi's cards to plan for the ones that I want in the future. I know I want the CSP and the BCE, but I was comparing the Citi Thank You cards to the Citi Prestige and the Prestige offers 30,000 "bonus points" after spending whatever vs the ThankYou Preffered and Premier offer ThankYou Points.

What's the difference in Citi's ThankYou points vs "bonus points"? I don't have any Citi accounts so I have no idea.

Also, can anyone advise which one is more bang for your buck out of the three cards?
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Suddenlyy
New Contributor

Re: Citi ThankYou point vs Bonus points?

when they say "bonus points" they are just meaning extra thank you points. its a sign up bonus.

30k extra thank you points for spending 2k within first 3 months.

edit: also, i wouldnt really reccomend any citi card that offers thank you points, because as far as rewards card go, nothing beats their double cash card.

Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:
I have no intention of getting a Citi card at the moment. I just got approved for two new cards, so I'm gardening for a while.

But I was checking out Citi's cards to plan for the ones that I want in the future. I know I want the CSP and the BCE, but I was comparing the Citi Thank You cards to the Citi Prestige and the Prestige offers 30,000 "bonus points" after spending whatever vs the ThankYou Preffered and Premier offer ThankYou Points.

What's the difference in Citi's ThankYou points vs "bonus points"? I don't have any Citi accounts so I have no idea.

Also, can anyone advise which one is more bang for your buck out of the three cards?

Excluding the bonus, no reason to keep the Preferred long term, it's just another 2% somewhere card, with a more difficult redeeming structure than many. Citi Double Cash (again minus the bonus!) is much better.

Prestige and Premier now have points that can be transferred to partners.   Prestige offers a lot of extra benefits (such as airline credit, Global Entry credit etc) and a better rate for redeeming for travel on AA, with a bigger AF.   The bonus categories for Premier and Prestige are swapped (what is 2x on the premier is 3x on prestige and vice versa).

Bigger bang for the buck VERY much depends on your needs between these two.

Message 3 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I like how the thank you premier offers 3x points on dining, that's more than the 2x for the CSP. However, the annual fee is higher, and I think Thank you points, when redeemed for cash are not even a full cent. So I suppose it cancels out.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might as well get a Paypal Extras at that rate.
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I like how the thank you premier offers 3x points on dining, that's more than the 2x for the CSP. However, the annual fee is higher, and I think Thank you points, when redeemed for cash are not even a full cent. So I suppose it cancels out.

Like MR, the "point" of the higher-level TY cards is to do transfers to partners (or with the Presige redeem at 1.6c per point on American).   Again like MR, cash redemptions are particularly bad, and if you are going for other options, like gift cards, there are better deals without AFs.

Message 6 of 7
dilettante
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Like MR, the "point" of the higher-level TY cards is to do transfers to partners (or with the Presige redeem at 1.6c per point on American).   Again like MR, cash redemptions are particularly bad, and if you are going for other options, like gift cards, there are better deals without AFs.

+1.  These are great cards if you are a frequent traveler - the Prestige, especially.

The biggest bang for your buck with these cards is if you have a CitiGold account (minimum $50K on deposit) because they will reduce the annual fee.  Citi also has better sign up bonus offers for these cards if you apply in branch.  I got both the 60K bonus after $15k spend for the Prestige, and 50K bonus after $15k spend for the Premier (AF waived first year). 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.