Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi Visa to Mastercard

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Citi Visa to Mastercard

I called Citi and asked if my Simplicity card can be changed to a Mastercard and rep said my Jan 2016 all Citi cards will be a MasterCard. I have a Simplicity and the rep said it Will be a World MasterCard. Has anyone else hered this?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Citi Visa to Mastercard

@corymcd88 wrote:

I called Citi and asked if my Simplicity card can be changed to a Mastercard and rep said my Jan 2016 all Citi cards will be a MasterCard. I have a Simplicity and the rep said it Will be a World MasterCard. Has anyone else hered this?

Yeah seems like they are going through a system change or something.

Heard the same thing when I requested Dividend to be PC'd to DC. (to wait until end of year)

HOWEVER, I called in novemeber, and they said I might had to wait, but rep checked again and said he could do conversion at that moment. 

Message 2 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@corymcd88 wrote:

This is very interesting... I had just mentioned a while back that it seemed more and more issuers were changing to 'Visa' (or only offering sub-prime cards as MC, like Capital One) but if this is true then Citi could be doing the exact opposite and changing everything over to MasterCard.

Very cool stuff!

(I remember back when you had a 'choice' anytime you applied for a card, they would let you select Visa or MasterCard (my first card with Citi allowed either)... I guess I'm showing my age here... LOL - the only lender I currently have that offered me a choice was NFCU)

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

This is very interesting... I had just mentioned a while back that it seemed more and more issuers were changing to 'Visa' (or only offering sub-prime cards as MC, like Capital One) but if this is true then Citi could be doing the exact opposite and changing everything over to MasterCard.

Very cool stuff!

(I remember back when you had a 'choice' anytime you applied for a card, they would let you select Visa or MasterCard (my first card with Citi allowed either)... I guess I'm showing my age here... LOL - the only lender I currently have that offered me a choice was NFCU)

Yeah! I definitely noticed Citi having most products as MC rather Visa. 

And wow, that's nice to know that lenders used to let you choose.

Message 4 of 22
uswala
Senior Contributor

They can't change all to MC as at least Cotsco card will be Visa Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 22
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I have heard the rumors, but I have my doubts as to whether it will happen next month. Typically, notice is provided several months in advance of such a change and I have yet to receive anything for my remaining Citi Visa cards (Forward and Hilton HHonors Visa Sig). It's no secret that the majority of their products have transitioned to Mastercards, however, I just can't see everything changing next month. Also, the Simplicity has had a World MasterCard version for years now. The product initially debuted as a MasterCard before being available on both networks. 

Message 6 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

Heard the same thing when I requested Dividend to be PC'd to DC. (to wait until end of year)

HOWEVER, I called in novemeber, and they said I might had to wait, but rep checked again and said he could do conversion at that moment. 

I called also in Nov.

Message 7 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

I have heard the rumors, but I have my doubts as to whether it will happen next month. Typically, notice is provided several months in advance of such a change and I have yet to receive anything for my remaining Citi Visa cards (Forward and Hilton HHonors Visa Sig). It's no secret that the majority of their products have transitioned to Mastercards, however, I just can't see everything changing next month. Also, the Simplicity has had a World MasterCard version for years now. The product initially debuted as a MasterCard before being available on both networks. 

I just got my Citi simplicity this year as a pre approved offer.

Message 8 of 22
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@corymcd88 wrote:

The majority of Citi's Visa cards will be going through MC conversions in phases with the 1st one to roll out during 1Q16.  There are others which will not be converted for a while, such as those that are still on the AmEx network (I still have two of those).  Depending on the current tier or product, some will be converted to standard/platinum MC (non-World) while others will be converted to World and possibly WEMC.  This depends on Citi's "secret sauce".  From what I recall, most will likely end up as WMC nothing earth-shattering of course considering this is Citi.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

I called also in Nov.

I believe the ability to change is account specific. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.