cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi allows only 1 card in 6 months??

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi allows only 1 card in 6 months??

@red259 wrote:

This is something that has been covered in numerous places on the internet. There are datapoints in the threads and I have provided you with more than enough information to find these threads if you really want to research it.

Something being asserted in "numerous places on the internet" does not by itself give the claim greater legitimacy. As to researching it, I have done some of that and what I have found is that there is no consistent, current and rolling data pattern to suggest this "rule" and that the data points are disperate as well as counterpoints exist; what there is more of is the assertion thereof, which again does not make it so.

@red259 wrote:
I am not going to devote my night to searching through several thousand posts to give you each datapoint.

So, am I to take that to mean that you haven't actually read the 7,800 posts you claimed as evidence of common knowledge for this "rule?" You certainly don't have to, and I'm not asking you to. But thread length alone is a poor measure of actual data points and an even worse way to make the case for calling something a 'rule.' A rule, unfortunately, does have to consist of the data points, not the post count.

Message 51 of 58
oracles
Valued Contributor

Wow this was definitely entertaining LOL

I'm sure yfan was just being difficult to rattle you all for fun.

i can't imagine someone being this stubborn.

Anyway have a goodnight all

Message 52 of 58
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@core wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
I don't know where the "8 days" thing comes from, but to me, that's not true.

The 8 days figure he/she mentioned came from this very site.  I just checked my older Citi notes and I know I didn't get it from one of those other boards.

So... it's based on speculation on MyFico? I mean we now definitively know this to not be the case, as a member just posted getting 2 cards one day apart from Citi. Just because something is conventional wisdom on MyFico doesn't mean it can't be questioned, and more importantly that things aren't in a constant state of flux in these things.

Calm down there.  If you are not a fan of MYFICO guidelines, a rest is indicated.  In the meantime, to address your concern, it depends on the profile, and how much citi wants you.  Until Discover showed up, they wanted me bad.  Now, not so much (the mailed pre quals raised the apr, the 0% changed to 12 months).  As you can see, the variables are as malleable as the credit report and score (which only my eq went down due to new re bucket, first to reach 2 year AAoA, but many new cards).  The earlier pre quals didn't even take into account my income, another variable in the mix.  

So, they have their internal bank card enhanced score, income, and how bad they want you, plus total available credit on profile.  That make sense to variations in approvals?  Personally, I would wait on citi app until score above 780, and not a bunch of new accounts.  While Discover didn't seem to mind, citi does.

Signature needs updating
Message 53 of 58
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

And how many people would that take for FT to shed the conventional wisdom? More than one? More than 3? What's the "freakout threshold"? "Hardcore churners" may be busy with other churning opportunities, they may not like Citi products, whatever. An absent of reporting to the contrary is not evidence of the positive. Only reports of the positive are evidence of the positive. Only reporting of denials within a week coupled with approvals after a week can serve as evidence of the "rule." If these "hardcore churners" aren't applying within the week (which it would stand to reason they aren't if they really believe in the rule), then their data fails to prove the first part of the rule. You then have to get data for the first part of the rule outside of hardcore churners.

Not saying the data is easy to get. But without it, the rule as a whole does not withstand its test.

I just reviewed two threads about AA cards on FT and there was over 7800 individual posts between the two of them You are grasping at straws if you think that these cards are not being applied for/churned. In terms of needing data about being denied for too many apps in under 8 days I refer you to the original post that started this thread as evidence of that. Again nobody claimed the rule is enforced every single time, but the exceptions to it are few and far between and people ignore the general rule at their peril. By the way the data has already been established. There are actually posts on FT of husband and wife doing tests where one gets denied after two days and other gets approved after eight days using same income etc. There are other datapoints as well and Long mentioned that some people received confirmation from citi about this. I've spent enough time reading through threads about it. if you are that interested feel free to do your own research, but its not like someone magically pulled this out of a hat. 

Personal animosity ("you are grasping for straws") aside, two things:

First, 7800 posts don't tell us anything about how many individual data points there were - as we see here, a single data point can spur many, many "posts" that aren't data points themselves, so while your review is appreciated (although we are not sure if you have actually read all of those 7800 posts - have you?), you have not disclosed the actual number of data points, which side of the so-called "rule" each data point supports, and if there were ANY (at all) data points that contradicted what you view to be a trend. Existance of threads with lots of posts in them do not by themselves construct lots of data points. Further, you said yourself your review only covered AA cards, which is hardly all Citi cards.

Second, if it isn't uniformly enforced, I am not certain it can really be called a rule. I have recounted my own experience here as well as one other person who got 2 Citi cards within a day, which can easily counter the husband-wife example. What you are calling a "rule" may only be a "rule" for certain credit profiles (e.g. what you are calling "churners") and not to people who don't consistently app (2011 was the first time I applied for cards after a pretty long break and my inquiries at the first app were zero). I don't know that to be the case, but because of your admitted sample bias (FT, assertion that Citi cards are churned) you don't know that not to be the case, either.

I hope we can agree that credit boards do not exist only to seve one segment of credit users - i.e. constant applicants and/or churners. If they also exist for people who only app occasionally (like years apart) and want information, they should be allowed to hear from people who are from their segment of consumers rather than to accept as holy word the experiences of constant credit seekers.

Same argument over and over.  Ugh, personal opinion, boring.  Starting to just skim.  You don't like being wrong, do you?  This isn't a right or wrong thing, a debate is not in order.

Signature needs updating
Message 54 of 58
onstar
Established Contributor

@core wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Starting to just skim.

Yeah, maybe the thread has "run it's course" 

Yeah, threads like this really should be locked now. It's pointless.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 55 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@onstar wrote:

@core wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Starting to just skim.

Yeah, maybe the thread has "run it's course"

Yeah, threads like this really should be locked now. It's pointless.

Very interesting thread. What I keep hearing on  MyFico is YMMV. How true. If the OP is going to take 10 domestic flights in September wouldn't that be in Citi's wheelhouse?  

Message 56 of 58
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Calm down there.  If you are not a fan of MYFICO guidelines, a rest is indicated.

Oh? And what MyFico guideline have I violated here?

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
In the meantime, to address your concern, it depends on the profile, and how much citi wants you.

Which is exactly what I said - that it depends on how much Citi wants you, and not some unwritten, steadfast 8-th day only "rule". But somehow when I say it, I am not a fan of MyFico guidelines... quite puzzling.

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
Until Discover showed up, they wanted me bad.  Now, not so much (the mailed pre quals raised the apr, the 0% changed to 12 months).  As you can see, the variables are as malleable as the credit report and score (which only my eq went down due to new re bucket, first to reach 2 year AAoA, but many new cards).  The earlier pre quals didn't even take into account my income, another variable in the mix.  

So, they have their internal bank card enhanced score, income, and how bad they want you, plus total available credit on profile.  That make sense to variations in approvals?  Personally, I would wait on citi app until score above 780, and not a bunch of new accounts.  While Discover didn't seem to mind, citi does.

Actually for me, Citi was not only one of the first lenders in my rebuilding phase, they continue to "like" me - right now I'm prequalified for just about every card of theirs, and I am nowhere close to 780. As for variations in approvals, that is what I have been arguing the entire time...

Message 57 of 58
kdm31091
Super Contributor

This thread is going nowhere. The point is that everyone should space out their applications sensibly based on their profile.

None of us work for citi and can definitively say what their policies are or are not. But if you arent going crazy with apps, then it doesnt even matter. No one will ever agree on this and we are just speculating anyway. All one can do is be reasonable with their apps and give it time in between.
Message 58 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.