Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi and Large Purchases

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Citi and Large Purchases

I'm planning to make a large purchase on my Citi card within the next few days...should I send them an email to warn them so it doesn't get declined? Or do the just call you after the charge goes through if they think it's suspicious?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Re: Citi and Large Purchases

@scientifics wrote:

I'm planning to make a large purchase on my Citi card within the next few days...should I send them an email to warn them so it doesn't get declined? Or do the just call you after the charge goes through if they think it's suspicious?

Personally I'd call them to save you the hassle of getting declined.

Message 2 of 6
Trondul
Valued Member

I put almost $4k worth of furniture on my Citi Diamond Preferred a couple of weeks ago and they didn't bat an eyelash. YMMV.

Message 3 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

I did a 6k purchase on my Citi diamond preferred, no issues at all.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 6
alph4
Regular Contributor

I bought about 3k worth of furniture at Pottery Barn on my Citi Forward.  The purchase went through fine, and then about 3 days later they froze the account and made me call to verify that I had purchased it.

So I guess YMMV

Current Cards:
American Express Blue Cash Preferred - March 2007 - CL $10,000
Citi Forward Visa Signature - September 2009 - CL $6,500
Chase Freedom - March 2011 - CL $15,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - May 2013 - CL $12,500
Discover It - November 2013 - $5,000
Barclay Arrival - January 2014 - $10,000
Message 5 of 6
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

When I was re-establishing credit (stupid me, I had long dropped all my CCs in favor of a debit card for convenience) I opened a Citi secured card for the 25k max they allowed at the time. Six months later I had an emergency need to hire a jet charter. The cost was over 30k but the company agreed to take 20k on a CC and bill me for the rest. It was a card not present purchase since they have to fly to your closest airport. Citi declined when they tried to run it even though I had 23k avail credit. I called a Citi CSR and they quickly escalated but could find no reason for the decline though they could see it on their systems. We tried again - same result. In a three-way call. They tried a manual approval but the charter company did their billing through a third party and couldn't take a manual approval. The Citi csr then went off to check on "Something" and came back saying it was some sort of embedded security limit and they would have to fix it. After another 5 minutes they came back on the line and had the charter service try it again and it went through. All in all I found the Citi CSR responsive, friendly, and helpful in resolving this.

I'm guess the causes were related to:

1. I had never charged anything over 2k to the card and it was only 6 months old.

2. Card not present charges for a "service" have higher risk to the banks than normal purchases.

3. Citi may have well put in place some internal limit on their secured card after they reduced the max to 5k.

I re-emphasize that when I first called Citi they saw the decline but had no idea why it was declined. It took them additional investigation to locate the problem and resolve it so it isn't clear checking in advance would have prevented this. In my case it wasn't an option as I had no idea I would need to make this charge. I would make sure you take the CSR ph. no. and a cell phone when you make the purchase.

Citi, at 18 months, unsecured the card, and re-issued it for another 3 years but in the same "Citi Secured Card" classic blue plastic look.  Very cute card that looks like it came out circa 1970. I love it.

I am rather fond of Citi as their online CC services are really good and terms are great. I especially love the virtual CC which makes me feel a lot safer using the card online with smaller merchants.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.