Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi app spree 1 for 2 with pending

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Citi app spree 1 for 2 with pending

@scenery_guy wrote:

I'm about to give up on this one. I now have three decline letters (for the AA card) that make no sense either together or individually. Cost me two HP to get to this point. 

Just to refresh I applied for a Citi Hilton card and was instantly approved. Waited a little while (about 15 minutes) and submitted an application for a AA card. Received pending decision screen. Called recon and was told "it's a new thing no more than one application in 24 hours. Apply again in 24 hours". I did and got same pending decision screen. Another recon call to be told now I have "too many applications in 60 day window and it was auto declined - for the second time". Moved on to write a recon letter to try to salvage two HP. The first (and second) decline letters simply say I was declined because "You have submitted multiple applications for credit". I'm not making that up. Not too many inquiries, not score too low, not too much credit - submitted multiple applications for credit. Sounds like a first world problem. Those pesky multiple application deadbeats must be killing Citi. 

Wrote the recon letter and mailed on 3/16. Finally received answer today, 4/6 (wow that's fast). No go based on earlier decline letter. It actually says "In our previous letter you were provided with the reason for denial. Based on our experience with out cardmembers, we have established credit requirements that must be met by all applicants in order to be approved by us. Based on our credit criteria, we could not approve your request. We cannot publicly disclose the exact minimum amount of credit approval requirements because this would compromise our credit evaluation process".

@I'm going to do some tweeting on Monday to @askciti to see if I can get a call FROM Citi, and a solid explanation as to why they can't just be strait about my declines. I don't really care if I piss them off as I have already earned my Hilton bonus and any other spend I make is just swipe fees for Citi. Not really sure how two declines for "multiple applications for credit" go against their "credit requirements" but I do know that if this is a serious issue they should be able to reject the application - before it goes thru the system and costs me a HP - simply on the criteria of more than one application in 24 hours = auto rejection with a sentence or two alerting the applicant as to why it was rejected not declined. Tell us the rules and we will play by them. Disclose this stuff on the application page even if I need to search for it in TOS or other very small print links. 

It's not like I am the only person to ever apply for two Citi cards in 24 hours. Am I right? Of course (cough cough two browser trick that worked forever cough cough). Just to be clear I quit my browser and restarted between applications just to be sure it did not look like that. 

I feel another recon letter brewing. Or I'll wait until 5/14 to apply again. Or I just spend on Chase and AMEX cards and be happy that I have those cards. Sure, some AA miles would be nice but I have sufficient status on Delta to get upgrades and lounge access just on Delta credit card spending every year - that's without butt in seat miles that make it better. They should be offering me status matching at this point. 

New language wow sorry for denial 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 25
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

Call the Citi Response Unit @ 1 (718) 248-6433. Explain your situation to whoever picks up & they will transfer you to their EO which then someone will be personally assigned to you. Their frontline CSR's, Twitter account, etc. are no help & the, "backdoor," numbers for Citi posted in the backdoor number thread are not really backdoor. The people in their retention department read scrips too. This method worked for me.

I was not in the same situation as you but I recently applied for their Diamond Preferred & was instantly denied. The lady at the EO who was assigned to me was able to overturn the decision without an additional HP & got me approved.

Citi = Annoying.

Message 12 of 25
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

@Anonymous the Citi Response Unit @ 1 (718) 248-6433. Explain your situation to whoever picks up & they will transfer you to their EO which then someone will be personally assigned to you. Their frontline CSR's, Twitter account, etc. are no help & the, "backdoor," numbers for Citi posted in the backdoor number thread are not really backdoor. The people in their retention department read scrips too. This method worked for me.

I was not in the same situation as you but I recently applied for their Diamond Preferred & was instantly denied. The lady at the EO who was assigned to me was able to overturn the decision without an additional HP & got me approved.

Citi = Annoying.

Not only do you rock because you have more cards than Alaska has feet of snow per winter* you have the greatest numbers. Thanks for the tip. I will use it wisely on Monday. 

Yes Citi = Annoying. 

*Sorry, I have no idea how much snow you get each winter but I bet you can cover some of your minimum spend paying for some plow action...

Message 13 of 25
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

No problem man! You getting approved by their EO is 50/50 but at least you know you're talking to people who can actually do something unlike frontline CSR's. Good luck!

No need to apologize, we actually got 14 inches overnight today. Woke up to a nice surprise this morning but snowblowers are to us as lawn mowers are to people in the lower 48. It's a regular day to us. Lol, Smiley Very Happy.

Message 14 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

sorry to hear about the trouble you have to go through, and grats on your approval.

It is not that Citi doesn't like you or anything. They just auto decline any new apps if you're already approved for one in a 30 day window. In the call they told you 60, so I am guessing they changed their policies. You can try to bypass it via EO, but it is going to be extremely unlikely they'll make an exception, unless you have been banking with them for quite a while.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 25
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Its all good! Feel special for getting an INSTANT APPROVAL on a CITI card. Enjoy!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 16 of 25
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

sorry to hear about the trouble you have to go through, and grats on your approval.

It is not that Citi doesn't like you or anything. They just auto decline any new apps if you're already approved for one in a 30 day window. In the call they told you 60, so I am guessing they changed their policies. You can try to bypass it via EO, but it is going to be extremely unlikely they'll make an exception, unless you have been banking with them for quite a while.

It's all good, don't really care about the card now (or when I applied as it's a churn for miles for the most part but I would fly AA some to use the card). I'm just trying to get a real answer as I feel they have been less than transparent with me. The letters are strait up gibberish and unacceptable. My recon letter was direct and to the point. I got my first Citi card in 2003 but it was just a gas card. Used it regularly for about 8 years so they do have history of PIF and 100% on time payments. 

I am not expecting a change at this point (actually weirder things have happened as AMEX gave me two Delta Reserve cards after a recon letter ?!?). I just want someone besides a script reader to have a conversation about what just happened. I spent about $400,000 on my cards last year between business and personal. That's $6,000 in swipe fees to my card banks minimum (based on 1.5% to the bank) plus AF on cards. Not mind blowing but that's more than most people spend per year on cards. I believe that would buy me 5 minutes on the phone with a banker (or EO staff) to explain why I could not find a single sentence on the application, T&C or other attachments as to the 1 application in 24 hours AND no more than 2 applications in 60 days rule. I understand rules are rules, and I will abide by them but somewhere you need to post the rules (or they should as we pay in HP for the opportunity to apply for the card). 

Message 17 of 25
enharu
Super Contributor

yea they need a lot of work on their customer service I agree.

By the way, did they do 1 HP or 2 for you in the end? Pretty ridiculous if they did 2 since 1 was going to be auto denial regardless of your report....

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 18 of 25
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

yea they need a lot of work on their customer service I agree.

By the way, did they do 1 HP or 2 for you in the end? Pretty ridiculous if they did 2 since 1 was going to be auto denial regardless of your report....

It was 1 HP per application even with auto denial so this AA card attempt cost me 2 HP. That's the main issue. If I would have been told after first rejected application that there were rules in place to prevent two applications in 24 hours AND three applications in less than 60 days even I could have figured out that I needed to wait 60+ days (not 24 hours) after the first AA application. 

I'm going to video tape the call to the Citi Response Unit and try to get some concrete information to share. So far I know that you are permitted one application per day and a maximum of two applications in 60 days. I can only believe they are now doing this to combat the two browser trick. Seems a little extreme as these were two different products, but what do I know. The calls should be interesting if they can actually do something or have the power to discuss things and not script read. 

Message 19 of 25
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

congrats on the approval and sorry for this auto denial...they could warn somewhere that they only accept 1 app in 60 days so we would know up front what to expect. I would fight to the bitter end to either approval or removal of the 2nd pull. wonder if it is mentioned in the t&c somewhere..we all know we do not read?
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.